Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: summer '22 transfer craziness and stupidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Nah. Just real pal.

I get nobody wants to entertain the fullback point, as it seems we have an abundance of options. Which was why we spent half of last season with Cedric and a fucking uneducated lunatic at fullback.

But yeah, we’re ok there boys. No problem.
    The reality is that we’re probably going to buy one fullback at the most this summer and it’s going to be a LB. Forget about Spence - we’re not in for him and it’ll just upset you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spence is going to Spurs as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chelsea and Man U are starting to annoy me now - feels like their new owners / managers haven’t had a chance to put any plans together yet so they’re just following us around. Fuck. Off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don’t have 3/4

We have 1/4

If you think the standard is Cedric, Tavares and Tommy, then you’re deluded.

Yes, we played with one sitting, one forward….amazing tactics…if only you could get one to sit and one go forward….

Bollocks.
    Have you even watched Tomi play? Ok, he had injury problems but when fit he's one of our best players, if he'd been fit throughout we'd have made top 4 no problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Have you even watched Tomi play? Ok, he had injury problems but when fit he's one of our best players, if he'd been fit throughout we'd have made top 4 no problem

The type of fullbacks we need come down to those 5 lanes of attack - left, right, centre and the the two half-spaces.

We don’t currently need overlapping RBs because the right attacking lane and the right half-space are covered by Saka and Ødegaard, who drifts to that side. Tomiyasu is a great fit for that side, and we have decent lookalike-cover for him now with White and Saliba.

We do need overlapping LBs (or at least we have up until now) because we’ve either played with a double-pivot or we’ve had Xhaka as the left-8, who is more likely to drop back and cover than attack the box. Martinelli / ESR move into the vacated left half-space and Tierney / Tavares go down the outside.

This is where I find our interest in Martinez really interesting - I’m guessing we’re looking at him as a Man City-inspired inverted LB, so does that mean we’re planning for a more attacking left-8 who we won’t be expecting to drop back as much? 5 defensive players staying back and 5 offensive players staying forward? Or maybe even planning to go with a back 3 more often? We have attacking options there already so it would give us a hell of a lot of flex.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 02-07-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Spence is going to Spurs as well.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy fella. Got three of my own.

Take that shit elsewhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Martinez could be more likely to sign for United, as Ten Hag has the inside track with Ajax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest is he’s open to both moves, personal terms won’t be an issue either way and Ajax are going to let him choose. We’re having talks with Ajax this week, apparently.

United will have an edge because of Ten Hag - these things do make a difference, as we saw with Jesus - but I have a feeling the biggest factor will be how and where the two sides want to play him? United very much see him as a CB whereas we’re viewing him more as a LB.