User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Player Of The Season (So Far)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    But did we sit back after the goals? I think that's the main point.
    That's a fair enough point. I don't like the way we get defensive in the last 15 minutes of tight games but:
    a) It's better than being too gung-ho and getting caught (Dortmund) and
    b) We are getting rather good at it, as uncomfortable as it is to watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    You're not getting this top five thing are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That's a fair enough point. I don't like the way we get defensive in the last 15 minutes of tight games but:
    a) It's better than being too gung-ho and getting caught (Dortmund) and
    b) We are getting rather good at it, as uncomfortable as it is to watch.
    c) Control the game, keep possession but remain a threat without getting complacent. There is a middle ground to this. If we go too gung-ho against the bigger teams we'll get punished.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c) Control the game, keep possession but remain a threat without getting complacent. There is a middle ground to this. If we go too gung-ho against the bigger teams we'll get punished.
    I agree. The substitutions against Newcastle were baffling and I found it massively frustrating that Arsenal, a side who dominate possession in pretty much every game we play, couldn't string 2 passes together in the final 10 minutes and constantly gave the ball back and invited pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, totally. We lose our composure a little and it's something we can improve on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Theo on the pitch, yeah.

Don't think we have that breaking threat without him. Which is why I think Wenget is eyeing up wingers rather than another standard striker.

You can really see why Henry was such a pain in the arse for our opponents now
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're missing that pace and with Theo out we're missing a big weapon for counter attacks. But even without him, we should be able to kill teams off with our possession play when we need to keep it tight. Interesting to see what Wenger does in the transfer window and I hope he does something because I believe it's key to this title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're missing that pace and with Theo out we're missing a big weapon for counter attacks. But even without him, we should be able to kill teams off with our possession play when we need to keep it tight. Interesting to see what Wenger does in the transfer window and I hope he does something because I believe it's key to this title.
    Very much agree. Although we definitely lose something from Theo being out, I don't think being dangerous on the counter and counter attacking with pace is all about having a speedy Gonzales like Theo. It's about how quickly the team moves with the ball sure, but also how quickly and accurately they can pass it to get it down the other end. As the old cliche says, the ball can move faster than any player.

I think with a few tweaks, Wenger can encourage a sightly more fluid, quick and cut throat counter attacking edge to our game. That is the benefit of having intelligent players, competent in a handful of positions. As you suggest, it needn't be done in a mindless headless chicken manner either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, totally. We lose our composure a little and it's something we can improve on.
    I don't think we lose our composure, I think the players are instructed to revert to a tactic they just aren't very good at. Why compress the play deep in our own half when we rely on pass and move to retain possession and open up the opposition? That's the bit that makes no sense.

That said - it may make no sense but so far it has worked. We're sort of complaining about something that might happen, and indication we've improved so much we really have to reach for a moan.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just watching the Vieira v Keane thing on ITV and Paddy said Wenger doesn't give those sort of instructions. He just let's them learn so they play their natural game. I doubt Wenger tells them to sit back and doesn't explain the bad passing either. I think some players just freeze and he's complained about that sort of thing before we're we've gone too defensive and the team look to protect the lead. Did you see his post game comments? Not sure what he said after this game.