User Tag List

Page 51 of 158 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What now for Walcott?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    I do rate Walcott and think he is (not could be, is) an effective player but realistically I don't think he could do any better than Arsenal. I get the whole self-loathing 'we are shit' thing but when all is said and done, we are a top 8 club in Europe. He won't get more games at the above 7 teams.
    Glad someone sees sense. You are of course, correct.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    I can't comment. I'm a gooner.

I'd play for Arsenal for £20k per year.
    I nearly swerved off the road when they offered me that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I nearly swerved off the road when they offered me that.
    Of course, I am 33, and lacking little bit sharpness, so I doubt they'd offer me that.

Ok. I'd take £20 per year. Final offer.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the April comment too - didn't get that. Yes surely by January he will need to be sold to highest bidder.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Funny story this, Wenger thinks that if he hasn't signed by April it will be hard to give him a new contract. I would have thought that if he hasn't decided to leave already he would have by January and will already be looking to sign a pre-contract agreement by then.

Wenger is so deluded, reminds me of the Flamini situation where he was convinced Flamini would sign all season and Flamini kicked dust in his face and said thanks for the memories but I'm off to Milan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19633113
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.” Dennis Bergkamp
    "I started clapping myself until I realized that i was sunderland's manager". Peter Reid
    "Happy those, who can remain at Highbury." Jane Austen, Emma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day, I'd prefer him to sit on the bench and come on as a sub until 'his people' decide for him what's best for 'him'. He can watch the Ox take his place and progress and can see that he's not the only option we have. I rate him and think he can always do a job for us when his confidence is high...but no way does he deserve to start any game until he shows his commitment to the club.
    Pretty sure his dad is one of his advisors...am sure they are playing the 'English' card in negotiating a contract, but if he's turned down 75k a week at 23yrs old for the contribution he's made...have to say that offer is more than fair...if he suddenly scores more than 10 prem goals in a single season then maybe a add on a bonus or two.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.” Dennis Bergkamp
    "I started clapping myself until I realized that i was sunderland's manager". Peter Reid
    "Happy those, who can remain at Highbury." Jane Austen, Emma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    I do rate Walcott and think he is (not could be, is) an effective player but realistically I don't think he could do any better than Arsenal. I get the whole self-loathing 'we are shit' thing but when all is said and done, we are a top 8 club in Europe. He won't get more games at the above 7 teams.
    But is it worth him staying here when you weigh up all the following:

- He's not developing as a player. A consensus shared by most Arsenal fans and pundits.
    - He doesn't get credit for what he does on the wing. As seen with Hansen after that hat trick, fans will pick out the negatives and overlook the positives.
    - Wenger seems reluctant to play him his natural position. If people say he's not good enough, what heck has Wenger been doing all these years?
    - Wenger might not actually know what he's doing! Just look at project youth and how it's been abandoned.
    - We're not winning any trophies and the longer the drought goes on the more pressure it puts on the players.
    - He's always going to be under the spotlight here at Arsenal and it's worse now because he's a considered a senior player.
    - We don't pay that well and even if we've offered Theo good money, why accept it when you have to consider all of the above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Money is a factor but I don't think that's the issue and I don't think he's arrogant enough to think he's that good either. If you were in his shoes, what's the appeal of Arsenal and why stay here? That's a question for all in fact. Why should he sign a new contract? What's in it for him?
    as syn said, he will struggle to do better than us at the moment and start games regularly.

sure, if it really is a dispute over his transition to striker then fair enough, i'd really respect him if he left and went somewhere else below to play as a striker. hard to see it happening though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's hardly getting a sniff at the mo. think its the biggest indication he might be off, seems to have fallen down the pecking order. he must be pretty annoyed- asking to play as a striker for the past few years and we refuse. then we go and play gervinho there.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of short-term agreement was it they had?

Wenger: You stay for little bit and we won't play you.

Theo: Sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltord's Winner View Post
    he's hardly getting a sniff at the mo. think its the biggest indication he might be off, seems to have fallen down the pecking order. he must be pretty annoyed- asking to play as a striker for the past few years and we refuse. then we go and play gervinho there.
    Early days but, he must be even more annoyed that Gervinho is looking good and scoring there.