User Tag List

Page 54 of 263 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery 2017/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    We've overspent on players like Xhaka(£35m), Mustafi (£35m) and Chambers (17m) but haven't spent enough on bringing in a top class striker. The striker position is the one position where you're unlikely to unearth some hidden talent on the cheap. You need to sp

We've probably spent around £40m on strikers in total anyway. Welbeck and Perez cost around £20m each, we wasted around £4m for that Japanese kid. Factor in the wages we’ve blown….we should have just coughed up the asking price for Lacazette years ago. We’ve spent £40 to £50m on garbage and it’s cost us over the years and prices have kept on going up.

Yep, nail on head. Wenger has mismanaged pretty much every window for the past 5 or 6 seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kallstrom was a good buy though.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post

Yep, nail on head. Wenger has mismanaged pretty much every window for the past 5 or 6 seasons.
    Who knows? He may even mismanage this one too.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Barca tapping up a player under contract again. Xhaka will probably be fined for that.
    No chance, things hae changed now, Gazidis/Wenger and co have seen the light and big changes are taking place, look at the changes in our backroom staff at long last......oh wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Of course, but a player who has consistently good assist stats will obviously help them score more. Ozil creates lots of goal scoring opportunities, with the right people on the end of them more of them would become goals.
    Has he helped Giroud score more goals? We were looking for a striker at the beginning of the season to score more goals. Did Ozil’s arrival solve that problem and to the extent where we say feel we’ve solved that problem?

It’s good bit of business but it hasn’t addressed a key area that’s needed addressing. If purchasing Ozil could turn a 15 goal a season striker into a 25+ goal striker, then great. But that hasn’t been the case. We still have to buy a striker and I have no idea why it’s taking so long to invest some serious money in this area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he helped Giroud score more goals?
    Well, Giroud's goals/minutes ratio was better than anyone bar Kane last season so I guess you'd have to say yes. I don't know how many of those were assisted by Ozil.
    But Giroud, as much as I like him and feel he gets an unnecessary amount of stick from Arsenal fans, isn't at the level who will win you a title.
    Get a striker in who can and we will challenge. Well, maybe we won't under Wenger but we will have a squad who can - I think we pretty much already do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think the point he was making was that we didn't need a player in that position particularly at that time, we needed a striker desperately and ended up signing a player in a position that we weren't really looking to fill. Pretty poor show to be honest, if you go out and need a new washing machine you don't come back with a dishwasher instead.
    Exactly. It’s a good bit of business if you find an upgrade for a good price but you still have to find space for the new model. We didn’t have a clue. Piss poor planning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Well, Giroud's goals/minutes ratio was better than anyone bar Kane last season so I guess you'd have to say yes. I don't know how many of those were assisted by Ozil.
    But Giroud, as much as I like him and feel he gets an unnecessary amount of stick from Arsenal fans, isn't at the level who will win you a title.
    Get a striker in who can and we will challenge. Well, maybe we won't under Wenger but we will have a squad who can - I think we pretty much already do.
    So 16 goals is enough to win the league?

I'm not even talking about last season either. Has there been a significant improvement to Giroud goal tally since Ozil arrived?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Who knows? He may even mismanage this one too.
    We're in the waiting period...judge him at the end of the window.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So 16 goals is enough to win the league?
    I honestly don't know how you got that from "Giroud isn't at the level who will win you a title.
    And there was only one season when Giroud was at Arsenal and Ozil wasn't so I'm not sure how sensible comparing that one season with the others is.
    EDIT (Although yes, his stats are better in the other seasons than the one without Ozil.)