Page 60 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    have you not watched city play this year? them and Liverpool are incredibly entertaining. I enjoy watching them play and normally I am not fussed about other teams football excluding Arsenals.
    They have been very good on occasions, more often than not.

There was some ex footballer fool (didn't catch his name though) on talksport last night saying that Pep had brought a level of football playing style to the prem the likes of which we have never seen before.........

Clearly, he must have been in a coma during the invincible's years then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    What have you heard about Henry as a coach to come to that conclusion?
    Not a lot but then what have we heard about Arteta, at least Henry will have instant respect. That was my point though, if we're going to pick a player with no management experience would prefer it to be someone I like and who was a great, Arteta doesn't fit into either for me, wasn't a great and didn't like him much as a player, he typifies Wengers' weakest period of management.

Arteta would be the most disappointing appointment for me, nothing about him appeals, I don't much care what his friends say either, because they're bound to be complimentary, if he gets the job we'll see what happens but this appointment is potentially a disaster because the guy won't get long to prove he knows what he's doing IMO, if it's not happening after half a season people will probably say we were mad to take him on and we need to replace him (as happens at most clubs), unknowns like him don't get the same period of grace as the bigger names who have proved themselves.

Gazidis may indeed like him, but to be fair he's been here for a long time now and until recently hasn't done a huge amount of good so I'm not personally ready to trust him 100% with his decisions, especially given some of the things he's come out with over the years.
    Last edited by Özim; 18-05-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    have you not watched city play this year? them and Liverpool are incredibly entertaining. I enjoy watching them play and normally I am not fussed about other teams football excluding Arsenals.
    Liverpool are great to watch, City not so much and Guardiolas tika-taka style I just can't stomach, for me it's slow and dull to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Also there's a very decent chance Henry would play 'Guardiola' football too surely?
    Who knows, Henry played in a counter attacking team, so there's just as much chance he'd play that style instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Liverpool are great to watch, City not so much and Guardiolas tika-taka style I just can't stomach, for me it's slow and dull to watch.
    At least City play tika-taka with some pace, not the pissy-passy backwards, sideways stuff that reverted to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    At least City play tika-taka with some pace, not the pissy-passy backwards, sideways stuff that reverted to.
    Barca were masters at it, far better than this City side, I didn't like it then either to be honest so either way I'm not keen. Makes me laugh all the talk about City being so amaizing, Wigan knocked them out of the cup and Liverpool beat them convincingy in th CL, yes they won the league but noone really put in a proper challenge for them.

There's been far far better sides, us, the Man U side that did the treble (and sides before and after that), Barca, Real, Milan when they were great and the list goes on, people going way over the top with Guardiola, they seem to love the guy, yes he's won stuff but let's be honest it wasn't without either inheriting the best side or being given huge amounts of money, at Bayern he failed to win the CL, his predecessor however managed it and he took over that side, so IMO he failed.
    Last edited by Özim; 18-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    Ivan is employing the old Wenger magic.

Lower everyone's expectations by asking ex players that you know just wouldn't work, so that everyone then eventually begs for Arteta!
    Hypothetical scenario - If the year were 2009, we’ve just sacked Wenger, done the backroom staff changes and Pep Guardiola was still the Barca B team manager but the lead candidate to take over at Arsenal we’d all be sceptical. Especially if Roberto Mancini has just won his third title Serie A at Inter and Luis Van Gaal has won the Bundesliga with Bayern along with the cup! Heck, around this time, Klopp would have just started at Dortmund and wouldn’t even be considered over these two.

I can’t fault the club for trying to nab someone with massive potential as soon as possible. If we get it wrong, we get it wrong. It’s a low risk, high reward scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first manager coming after Wenger is going to find it difficult anyway, maybe Arteta is the fall guy like I think Moyes was. I think Arteta would be mad to take it to be honest, he could start smaller and succeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    The first manager coming after Wenger is going to find it difficult anyway, maybe Arteta is the fall guy like I think Moyes was. I think Arteta would be mad to take it to be honest, he could start smaller and succeed.
    He'd be mad not to take it.

It's the opportunity of a lifetime for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    He'd be mad not to take it.

It's the opportunity of a lifetime for him.
    If he does well, yes, if he fails miserably it could be hard for him.