User Tag List

Page 63 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    You do know a great players doesn't always transition into a great manager?

I get the skepticism on Arteta but you lose the argument when you suggest Henry is a better candidate. He has less experience as a coach, he spends more time talking as pundit than actually coaching players. How is that sensible?
    Yes I do, but muy point is a great player at least will get more leeway as he'll get respect from the off, not sure Arteta will get much of that based on his playing career. I just think considering neither has any management experience a former great maybe has the advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    No I don't get it either, its the equivalent of Wenger trying to find the next gem, now we seem to be doing it with managers, what we need is a guy with a proven record who has the authority required to make the changes happen and who isn't scared to ruffle a few feathers and dismantle this awful squad and start again (other than in attack) and a guy not scared to sign up top players and handle them correctly.
    we aren't going to have the £ to start again.. as that's expensive. I am sure Arteta wont be scared to sign top players but would a top player come to us for Europa league football instead of CL football. Do we need 11 top players. No. We need a few top players, we have one in Auba. ozil can be good and ramsey.

Realistically how much higher in the league can we go. 4th place. Maybe with Arteta they are looking for a smoother transition by appointing someone who knows the club but wont made ridiculous demands for players, money etc. Just trying to think behind the logic.

Although I wouldn't say its low risk but high reward, as we could get worse. Ozil and Auba could look at the new manager and thing nahhhh. We sign journeymen players and those two think there isn't long on their careers to waste waiting to see if Arteta can take us forward.

If it is Arteta then there is nothing I can do about it. so be it and we will see how it goes. I quite like Europa league myself, more interesting than the CL first round knock out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the appointment of the first team coach should purely come down to the ideas, innovation, analysis and level of effective communication they offer - everything else should be provided by the club.

Scouting and player recruitment? Club.

Contracts? Club.

Fitness and conditioning? Club.

Basic training, technical standards, discipline and mentality? Club.

Things like organising a defence properly, implementing a high-press, being able to control the ball under pressure and pass quickly and accurately with both feet... why are we waiting for the right first team coach to come along to sort these things out for us? As far as I'm concerned, these are all things that we should be drilling into our players at club level as part of the footballing identity of AFC. Ever-present standards, not things that come and go with whoever happens to be in charge of the first team at any given moment.

The first team coach should be there to prepare the first team for matches and make the big decisions in real-time on match days. They should have enough free rein to put their own, unique stamp on the side through things like shape and formation, tactics, player selection and player responsibilities (i.e. the role they're given), but beyond that they shouldn't be burdened with any other responsibilities.

This is what I'm hoping the club is working towards, anyway. We've made a promising start with Sven and Raul and the mass culling of our ineffective coaching team - now we need to go about hiring best-in-class replacements for all of those guys who have gone. I'm almost as excited about this side of what's going on as I am about who we might bring in to work with the first team - if we get it right, then the task of finding first team coaches is going to be considerably easier going forward, and we're going to have a much larger pool of candidates to choose from.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 18-05-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also typically Arsenal that even with Wenger leaving.... people are still complaining and moaning. we should be positive and embrace the future until at least we lose our first home game against West Ham or something!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger has just backed him:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44150823

That's enough to convince me he shoudn't get the job
    yeah it's Fergushite and Moyes all over again - Wenger backing backing someone he knows will look a failure compared to him - so he's obviously convinced Arteta will have us finishing 7th or lower...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I do, but muy point is a great player at least will get more leeway as he'll get respect from the off, not sure Arteta will get much of that based on his playing career. I just think considering neither has any management experience a former great maybe has the advantage.
    How does Henry have the advantage when he’s the sort of player that can produce a solo effort to change the game? What if he doesn’t have players with that sort of mentality, physical or technical ability? What’s his reference point when a player feels he can’t live up to the legendary Thierry Henry? I don’t think it’s that easy to translate how he’d react and he’d see as player to the players he’s coaching. He’s said it himself. Look it up. Respect goes out of the window quickly if you can’t find the tactical solution. Then trying to deal with players as individuals to thinking as a collective and getting them to gel and be cohesive is another level.

Besides being Captain, Arteta has shadowed a great coach and has been with Pep at City from the start. He’s seen the highs and lows and at least has a reference point on how to tackle certain problems. That doesn’t mean he’ll be able to apply what he has learnt successfully but it’s a lot more than someone trying to live off past experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Hypothetical scenario - If the year were 2009, weÂ’ve just sacked Wenger, done the backroom staff changes and Pep Guardiola was still the Barca B team manager but the lead candidate to take over at Arsenal weÂ’d all be sceptical. Especially if Roberto Mancini has just won his third title Serie A at Inter and Luis Van Gaal has won the Bundesliga with Bayern along with the cup! Heck, around this time, Klopp would have just started at Dortmund and wouldnÂ’t even be considered over these two.

I canÂ’t fault the club for trying to nab someone with massive potential as soon as possible. If we get it wrong, we get it wrong. ItÂ’s a low risk, high reward scenario.
    That is an excellent way of looking at it. I do understand how people feel though. We persevered with a manager who had long since passed his prime. I believe that if it does not work with Arteta, the situation won’t be replicated as some fear. Wenger had a powerbase and a route to the owner that Arteta - and any other manager is not going to have.

I think if they take the leap with Arteta, they will be monitoring and acting very quickly on any situation that develops.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta was captain too, probably one of the worst ones as well, whilst he was in charge we were really poor, with little fight and were bottlers on the pitch, never saw him make an ounce of difference, seemed to have no authority to me, which makes sense because Wenger openly admitted the captaincy is overrated and pretty meaningless.

The people vouching for Arteta seem to be his friends, why wouldn't they, I've alreayd said the value of numbers 2s is minimal, Guardiola was successful way before Arteta appeared, he doesn't need a number 2 to win that's clear, he wins as long as he has money or is at the most successful club.

Likewise Mclaren and Queiroz, Ferguson raved about them, when they got into management they flopped big time, words are cheap to be honest and Arteta has shown nothing to suggest he'd make a good manager to me, no authority when he was with us and no experience at management level, guys like him don't get jobs at top clubs as a 1st job, greats do, like Zidane etc, but that's because they have instant respect from their achievements in the game (tho at least he'd managed Barca B), Vieira has more experience at least as he's doing a very good job in the MLS so at least he has something on his CV.

My preference for Henry is the fact he was a great, Arteta and Henry have no experience, but one will at least be respected by the players who know how good he was, Arteta was nothing more than a journeyman who wasn't much good with us.
    I don’t think you know what “journeyman” means.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    My worry here, is that we seem to be thinking along the lines that getting Arteta in is an 'ok idea' or is somehow acceptable....???

We are supposed to be a top club, even Everton, West ham, etc, would be looking for an established manager of some sort. When the proper names were first being mentioned, Allegri, Jardim, Tuchel, Low, Enrique - I thought, ok, at least we are looking in the right areas and it is no less than we should expect to turn things around and take us back to the top.

But I just don't understand this train of thought that someone with no experience or ex players (Legends) is acceptable as an option to replace the manager

It's exactly akin to '4th place is like a trophy' or that train of thought.

Just not good enough for me
    It seems to me we don't have a manager's position any more. We're looking for a coach. A fractional role compared to Wenger's all encompassing mandate. The management role is split between 3 people now. I like the idea we're doing exactly the opposite of what Wenger preferred. Depending on how limited the new role is it may have deterred the likes of Allegri who might want a bigger say. Guesswork, but that's the way it looks from the little we know.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alledgedly Colin Lewin was given the boot at the behest of Arteta, who blames him for his injury troubled final years with us.