It goes back further than that

Last 25 away games

Win 7 Drawn 5 Lost 13

Conceded 44 goals

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why this is. I mean, our home record is as good as anyone's bar City. Meanwhile, away from home we can't score or win for toffees.
    It's not like our home crowd are particularly raucous or encouraging, if anything the away support is the louder, more hardcore support.

HCZ
    The simple answer is when you play at home it’s not just the home support but the familiarity of the pitch (there is a standard size football pitch but premier league pitches can differ) which benefits you and makes the opposition more cautious.

But you’re right the vast disparity is bizarre, at home in the last 25 games we have won 20 drawn 3 and lost 2. Which is a difference of a win rate of 80% and a win rate of 28%

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Letters pointed out before, we used to go on a 'run' at around this time to get into the top four. If I remember correctly, the majority of those games always seemed to fall away from home, though I could be wrong.
    That does obscure the figures somewhat in the last 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Back in the day you could count on us to go on one of our trademark "runs" and end up in the top 4. Some seasons it seemed improbable but we'd always get there.
    Can't see it now. Looking like 6th.
    6th Place Trophy. ™
    Another first for Wenger
    6th is ideal tbh. We won't have any European distractions and can focus fully on challenging for 6th next season. I'm pretty confident we can do it too. We're stronger then Leicester and Everton. We can take them. We just need to believe.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ View Post
    The simple answer is when you play at home it’s not just the home support but the familiarity of the pitch (there is a standard size football pitch but premier league pitches can differ) which benefits you and makes the opposition more cautious.

But you’re right the vast disparity is bizarre, at home in the last 25 games we have won 20 drawn 3 and lost 2. Which is a difference of a win rate of 80% and a win rate of 28%
    The opposition still treat us like a big club when they come to our place and show us respect we don't deserve. I haven't checked, but I bet all of the games where we've been allowed the time and space to play our intricate bullshit occurred at home because the opposition aren't as ambitious. How long we hang on to this fake reputation I don't know. Surely only a matter of time before teams come to our place confident they can get a result.

It could also be the non-atmosphere in the stadium. Not joking. Our place is so weird, so dead, it might actually put the other team off or send them asleep. But we are used to it. I think the players even like it. The contented munching sounds coming from the sedate fanatics in the home end.

When we go away the opposition fans are up for it, the home team fancies it and we just collapse into a scared and uber-negative tip tap routine that gets us nowhere and opens up te way for even poor teams to crucify us on the break.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Well, for a club at our supposed level 3 wins out of 13 is pretty abject. It's only our home form which is keeping us anywhere near the top 4.
    No decline

HCZ
    If you go from 15-16 season to now we have played 101 league games 50 at home and 51 away

If you look at the last 50 away games

The first 25 - 12 wins 9 draws 4 defeats (not great) but 19 more points accumulated than the next 25 - 7 wins 5 draws 11 defeats.

Compare that with home form 16 wins 5 draws 4 defeats in the first 25 games followed by 20 wins 3 draws and 2 defeats in the next 25.

Which tells the tale that overall we have gone backwards but if anything our current home form is as good as it’s probably been under Wenger which is the only thing holding this shit together.

We have 7 games left at home this season and apart from City I’d confidently predict we will win them all. Southampton, West Ham, Watford, Stoke, Everton, Burnley.

We have 6 games left away from home and given we’ve lost to Swansea and Bournemouth you have to wonder where the next win comes from. Newcastle? Brighton? Huddersfield?
    Last edited by HCZ; 01-02-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    The opposition still treat us like a big club when they come to our place and show us respect we don't deserve. I haven't checked, but I bet all of the games where we've been allowed the time and space to play our intricate bullshit occurred at home because the opposition aren't as ambitious. How long we hang on to this fake reputation I don't know. Surely only a matter of time before teams come to our place confident they can get a result.

It could also be the non-atmosphere in the stadium. Not joking. Our place is so weird, so dead, it might actually put the other team off or send them asleep. But we are used to it. I think the players even like it. The contented munching sounds coming from the sedate fanatics in the home end.

When we go away the opposition fans are up for it, the home team fancies it and we just collapse into a scared and uber-negative tip tap routine that gets us nowhere and opens up te way for even poor teams to crucify us on the break.
    This is so true.

I noticed this at the semi final recently.

The chav fans pretty much sang all through the game until around 5 mins after we got the second goal, then they weren't quite so loud after that.
    Our fans are odd at home. Its fairly silent until a chant of 'Arsenal, Arsenal' breaks out, then it goes quiet again for 10-20 mins. There's hardly any kind of fan generated sporting atmosphere. Really peculiar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    This is so true.

I noticed this at the semi final recently.

The chav fans pretty much sang all through the game until around 5 mins after we got the second goal, then they weren't quite so loud after that.
    Our fans are odd at home. Its fairly silent until a chant of 'Arsenal, Arsenal' breaks out, then it goes quiet again for 10-20 mins. There's hardly any kind of fan generated sporting atmosphere. Really peculiar.
    Well it's not is it

The real hard core fans have been priced out and the stadium gentrified hardly the biggest mystery is it