User Tag List

Page 88 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: summer '22 transfer craziness and stupidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Xhaka isn’t a player you can just drop into any team and any system with any old players around him - at the base of midfield, with slow, non-ball-playing CBs behind him and miles of space between defence and attack he’s going to be a liability, and unfortunately for him that’s been Arsenal for most of his time here. This current setup seems to suit him down to the ground though - the space in the middle is compressed, he has players behind him he can trust to start moves and mop up so he doesn’t have to keep sticking his nose in where he shouldn’t, and JdP in general is all about rotation, covering and positional discipline, all of which is a great fit for his game.

One unexpected bonus has been the surprise factor he’s adding this season - no one seems to rate him as any particular threat in his current role and we’ve caught opponents with their pants down several times now as he’s ghosted into shooting positions relatively unchallenged. I’m sure teams will wise up to that at some point, but right now it’s a cheap trick we can keep using.
    I don’t know I kind of feel you’re making excuses for him. Even if you’re correct none of that changes my assertion that he’s. Luxury player that we can ill afford. But it’s more than that, I do agree that too many of our centre backs in the past have been immobile and uncomfortable on the ball (Gabriel Magahat is whilst strong and reasonably quick not good with ball to feet).
    But too often he gives the ball away even if there is no pressure let alone when there is. I can’t abide that. Look at the game against Bournemouth and the amount of times Zinchenko had to put out the fires he started.
    Villa the irony was that Kamarra was so shit that Xhaka managed to dispossess him but he is not quick, strong or good enough in possession to be anything but a liability when we play decent sides.
    Every time we play one of the supposed big five I come out in a cold sweat thinking of how he could undo all our good work with one careless sideways pass.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Douglas Luiz is happy to sign by all accounts, depends on Villa and the 20m fee.

Also, Bellerin should be off to Barcelona once his deal is torn up here.
    They have rejected our initial offer of £20m and remain firm in their stance of 'not for sale'.

However, Ramano says personal terms wont be an issue as the player has said he would be happy to join, so I am guessing it's just finding a fee that Villa will agree to.

Ultimately he could go on a free next summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Sell him. He's shit and always injured.
    Partey is the best player in the squad.

It's not even close either. He's levels above the next best in Odegaard and Jesus. Who are levels above the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I don’t know I kind of feel you’re making excuses for him. Even if you’re correct none of that changes my assertion that he’s. Luxury player that we can ill afford. But it’s more than that, I do agree that too many of our centre backs in the past have been immobile and uncomfortable on the ball (Gabriel Magahat is whilst strong and reasonably quick not good with ball to feet).
    But too often he gives the ball away even if there is no pressure let alone when there is. I can’t abide that. Look at the game against Bournemouth and the amount of times Zinchenko had to put out the fires he started.
    Villa the irony was that Kamarra was so shit that Xhaka managed to dispossess him but he is not quick, strong or good enough in possession to be anything but a liability when we play decent sides.
    Every time we play one of the supposed big five I come out in a cold sweat thinking of how he could undo all our good work with one careless sideways pass.
    Just credit where it’s due - he’s been one of our better players so far this year, and tbf he’s been decent ever since we switched to 433. Doesn’t mean I don’t think we could (and should) upgrade that area, but right now he’s playing his part without causing problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just credit where it’s due - he’s been one of our better players so far this year, and tbf he’s been decent ever since we switched to 433. Doesn’t mean I don’t think we could (and should) upgrade that area, but right now he’s playing his part without causing problems.
    He's fuckin shit, mate.

We're basically at the point of if he doesn't actively fuck us up then it's a good performance. His display last night was fuckin pathetic. The number of poor passes, putting team mates under unnecessary pressure or even just giving it away was ridiculous for a CM player at an aspiring 'top' club.

Any defence of him just fuckin reeks of desperation, tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellerin to Barca looks like it’s on - another one where it looks like we’re going to have to terminate a contract because of ridiculous wages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One unexpected bonus has been the surprise factor he’s adding this season - no one seems to rate him as any particular threat in his current role and we’ve caught opponents with their pants down several times now as he’s ghosted into shooting positions relatively unchallenged. I’m sure teams will wise up to that at some point, but right now it’s a cheap trick we can keep using.
    much as i hate to admit it, there is something to that - and i can't deny his pressure caused us to get our first goal last night - still, a better player would make things run smoother in the first place - we shouldn't be in the position where we're begging the ref to blow the final whistle against teams like Fulham and Villa and not having better quality in that position is part of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellerin to Barca looks like it’s on - another one where it looks like we’re going to have to terminate a contract because of ridiculous wages.
    Barca are selling Auba to Chelsea for 12m plus a player, ffs.

Absolutely mental Arsenal are just giving them another player. Hopefully they've at least insisted on a sell on clause of some sort for when Barca flip him to another club for more free money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    much as i hate to admit it, there is something to that - and i can't deny his pressure caused us to get our first goal last night - still, a better player would make things run smoother in the first place - we shouldn't be in the position where we're begging the ref to blow the final whistle against teams like Fulham and Villa and not having better quality in that position is part of it
    Bah, we had more than enough clear chances to put both of those games out of sight - that’s on our forwards lacking a bit of sharpness, not Xhaka.

Again, I agree that there’s another level for this team to find if we can ever upgrade Xhaka - really hope I live to see the day! - but I’m also trying to be fair with criticism of him. So far he’s contributing, he hasn’t made any fuck-ups, the team is playing well and we’re top of the league with a 100% record - feels like we’re really reaching for problems atm and I’m not sure why?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 01-09-2022 at 02:23 PM.