User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal v Southampton, 15.00 Saturday 23 November

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time it was this bad? I started watching in 1990-ish... this is the worst I've ever seen.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck off Emery you damp cunt
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    When was the last time it was this bad? I started watching in 1990-ish... this is the worst I've ever seen.
    Two seasons ago, don't you remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dostoy View Post
    No, it wasn't this bad.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. I just checked and interestingly at this stage 2 years ago we had the same points and goal difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Laca, but I didn't like it when you hardly celebrated the goal - don't buy into the bullshit dude. Yeah sure, 2-2 against an absolute pile of shit Southampton whose main tactic seems to be going for the free kick. Not good. Fortunately for them they had Atwell reffing the clown show, so their tactics were very effective. Leaving the sheer incompetence of the ref (I don't think he was cheating, I just think he's THAT incompetent), and the horrific attitude Southampton "Football" Club now have towards football (if Le Tiss was in his grave yet he'd be spinning), in this new, random, VAR lucky dip, let's all throw ourselves to the ground and call it football version of the "Premier" League, getting a point showed a fair degree of spirit. I never thought we'd lose that one because we were so superior to the opposition - and yet, we just aren't very good. Still, when you have the calibre of players we now have, even in a random setting you'll probably get something in the end. And that's what football is reduced to now. The ball goes in the net and the fans... wait to see what VAR says. Football? Not any kind that I recognise.

But now to the "fans". Emery out. Kill Xhaka. Blow up the stadium. Fondle the media who sense blood. Buy a spuds shirt and do their work for them.

About 3 years ago I said if we didn't sack Wenger there and then we'd become a mid-table team. We didn't sack him. We are now a mid-table team. Not rocket science, not brain surgery, just a casual analysis of where Wenger was taking us. When he left he was reduced to being the worst manager British football has ever seen, at the top level. His cancer had infected every root, nook and cranny of the club. He'd converted Adam's and Veiria's and Bergkamp's and Henry's and Pires' and Freddie's and... the list goes on, Arsenal into a footballer's way station where stars went to die and young talent went to showcase themselves ready for the big move that kicked on their career.

Anyone who thinks ANY MANAGER could ever reverse the damage Wenger did in fewer than 3, or 5 or maybe even 10 seasons just hasn't been watching what has happened at Liverpool, or Man Utd, or Chelsea (to a slightly lesser degree). Glory is fleeting and those who bring glory have one campaign in them. It might be an incredibly protracted campaign, like Ferguson's, or a high point in time, like Wenger's, or a violent fuck and run, like Maureen's - but you can't stay at the top forever. The key to managing a decline from glory is ensuring you don't fall too far when the inevitable decline sets in.

But we had Wenger.

In his latter years he ensured that ANY MANAGER coming in to replace him would be fucked from the get-go. The very guts of the club had been ripped out and replaced by an environment that personified weakness, comfort, complacency, the trading on past glories. A weak CEO, a bunch of yes-men gaggling around the naked emperor Wenger. Of course the club fell into decline on every level.

The pro-Wenger excuse of blaming the Kroenke's had now evaporated. We've had £50mill, then £60mill and now £70mill players signed in transfer windows - quality players btw, not the utter bullshit Wenger punted on because OBVIOUSLY he - HE - didn't want to spend the money. Tis much is clear now, we have the hard evidence.

So one and a half seasons in, Emery is the guy who cast himself into the pit with a shovel to see if he could dig us out from this. Doomed from the start, tbh. I didn't much rate him in the first place. I thought he was too weak for the task. I'd have preferred Arteta - a punt that might have (probably not) worked, that could be rectified quickly without much fuss. Emery is a fairly big name (with the accompanying big salary) to chuck in the Wenger hole as temporary filler though. So we may be in a bit of shit here. I doubt very much, unless the results get even worse, we'll see him ousted before the end of the season. Let's just hope he can bring some sort of standard back to this club before he goes. And he'll go, because the first guy in after Wenger was always going to get slaughtered.

Meanwhile though, what about the "fans". From what I can tell, we don't have many left. The Xhaka incident proved that. Yeah, so Xhaka has been playing poorly for years. Let me ask anyone - if your boss comes along and says, do what the fuck you want, I'll give you big wages and I'll never criticise you, let alone sack you - how much motivation are you going to get from that role? Same goes for so many others. The young kids who should have thrived but had to move elsewhere to find a challenge. The vets that should have driven stability into the turf but delivered the minimum required. The actual talent that spent most of their time trying to find the exit.

That's because we had Wenger.

Everything you are seeing today. Wenger. His curse, his disease, his crippling impediment that any manager would have had to face coming into the club.

So go ahead and sack Emery. It won't change a damn thing. The new guy will just do what Emery has been doing. Try to build this back up again, brick by brick, knowing that success is a goal far over the horizon and realising the extent of the journey between where we are now and where we need to be.

Emery wasn't my favoured choice, but I'm not going to crucify him after a few short months tackling mission-close-on-impossible.

Xhaka's not my favourite player. But I'm not... actually, yes I am going to crucify him, because players should give 100% no matter what environment they find themselves in. But singling him out for criticism? Why? Every player has underdelivered in recent history. Every one? And the ones who gave a bit more than the rest, they're gone. On to real football clubs where Wenger's influence doesn't reach.

Want to scream at a loss to Leicester and a draw against the dire Southampton?

Wenger!

Want to lament mid table status and the performances that underpin that status?

Wenger!

Want your Arsenal back?

Talk about it to Wenger - the guy who robbed you.

Blame emery or Kroenke or Xhaka anyone else, if you want - but you are deluding yourselves. It's a LONG LONG road back from WENGER.

Liverpool - how long? Man Utd after the Georgie Best/ Charlton years = how long? Utd after the Fergie's years - may it be a long, long time.

And now Emery has a year and the "fans" are all "Emery Out!" Seriously?

Hey, you have no wallpaper! Yeah, I'm working on the foundations.

Hey, you haven't planted a nice little tree on the front lawn? Yeah, I'm building the walls.

Seriously? Emery out? Why? What did you expect a new manager would bring. The PL and CL double? Even decent football after years of Wengerball? Get a grip. This is going to be a long, long job. Fixing something that is broken in every place will take more than a few months. If Emery isn't they guy to do it, okay. Hound him out. But don't expect magic from the next guy either. Or do - if you want to be totally unreasonable about it.

Anyway - Tierney, Ozil, Pepe, Auba, Laca, Willock, and maybe even a couple more - these are players we can work with.

Next summer - the £80mill defender. If there's one thing I would pick Emery up on is his inability to sort out the defence. Yes, Wenger had virtually eradicated defending from the club, but still, Emery should be able to get the basics right. I still think he's struggling with this ridiculous notion we are Arsenal and we play pure football. Well that hasn't been true for a decade. Let's just get the basics right please.

I thought we did well enough to keep going today and get the draw. We are a mid-table team after all, so nothing is guaranteed. I thought there was a certain resilience in the players. Ozil and Laca gave their all. Bellerin looked pumped, even though he played shite. Tierney was super. Great player. There are positives. But there's a mountain to climb too. Built by Wenger. Maybe consider that for a moment when the whole interweb is gearing up to hound the Spanish guy, and the scummy media sniffs clicks, and the opposition fans gloat.

We stick together or we drown alone. Booing ur captain? Stalking our manager for not being a magician? Maybe a re-think is required. Maybe the latter years of Wenger turned us into professional moaners rather than supporters of Arsenal Football Club.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's baaaaaaack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tldr
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dostoy View Post
    Two seasons ago is beginning to look like the good old days.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.