Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    Did the club even think about a new manager when it was announced that Wenger was leaving? I think I read or heard somewhere that Wenger found out he was going to be asked to leave in the summer, but decided he was going to leave on his terms so announced it earlier and caught the club on the hop.
    I actually think Ivan's quite competent and based on a few stories it seems he's sensibly been putting out a few feelers for a while now.

Apparently he had a meeting with Tuchel last summer (before we got Sven) which went promising and he was eager to get the job if Wenger was to leave (unfortunately he didn't and signed a new contract - thanks Stan!) & Hasenhüttl confirmed that there was contact between an Arsenal rep and him last year.

The actual timing of the exact day Wenger announced it may have caught him by surprised but I think he's had a plan ready for a while now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    Did the club even think about a new manager when it was announced that Wenger was leaving? I think I read or heard somewhere that Wenger found out he was going to be asked to leave in the summer, but decided he was going to leave on his terms so announced it earlier and caught the club on the hop.
    Yep, that's what was being said on the day. But nobody ran with it because the Wenger lovefest was gearing up.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was actually explicitly said that the timing of the announcement was not Wenger's decision.
    By Wenger, admittedly, but I don't remember anyone contradicting that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=The Emirates Gallactico;4453639]I'm slowing warming towards Arteta especially after reading Le Grove's piece and various other snippets about some of his coaching methods and the impact he's had. Apparently he's the one that stayed behind in training to work with Sane & Sterling to get them to improve their end product.

Apparently told Messi & Sherwood too fuck off when the former was time wasting and the latter was having a go at Sagna.

It may just be confirmation bias and me trying to reassure myself now though.

Still would prefer Allegri but I wouldn't be totally aghast if it was Arteta. Either way he has my full support and he should have the support of the fans with us purely judging him on the results & performances he delivers rather than the sexiness of his name or reputation.]

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Wouldn't have been my first choice but I can also see why they might be considering the gamble. Two years under Pep will have taught him a lot. And he must have impressed enough to have been selected in the first place. If chosen he should get our full support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that both Pochetinho and Pep fought it out for his signature 2 years ago says he has something about him.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFC Leveller View Post
    The fact that both Pochetinho and Pep fought it out for his signature 2 years ago says he has something about him.
    No doubt about that. I think the chances of Arteta becoming an excellent manager one day is very high based everything that's been said about him and the way he conducts himself.

The problem is, is that moment right now? Would have preferred he cut his teeth at a team like West Ham/Everton/Palace and then we made a move. I guess the fear is that we would have risked losing out on him that way to a Cieth.

Heck if he becomes a roaring success for us, chances are that Barca will come pining for him one day so it's not like we're guaranteed his services forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of us are privy to what goes on behind the scenes and how people like Arteta are regarded in the game. The new regime hasn't given us a reason to doubt them as of yet, they negated the blow of losing Alexis and finally managed to get Wenger out. It's been a good start for them but now it's time for them to make a reputation-defining decision. I'm intrigued and most importantly ready to back the club 100% for the first time in years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    None of us are privy to what goes on behind the scenes and how people like Arteta are regarded in the game. The new regime hasn't given us a reason to doubt them as of yet, they negated the blow of losing Alexis and finally managed to get Wenger out. It's been a good start for them but now it's time for them to make a reputation-defining decision. I'm intrigued and most importantly ready to back the club 100% for the first time in years.
    Good point about the club finding replacements for Alexis and acting quickly. For the first time we did what we were supposed to and in coincides with the appointment of Raul and Sven along with Wenger losing his influence.

Also, we managed to convince Ozil to sign a deal and have gone back to offer Jack a better deal. Goes to show that we don't have complete retards running the club and can see a situation for what it is. They had way too much faith in Wenger for way too long.