User Tag List

Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Temps and Journeymen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I read an article about Pepe when we signed him and it said he was a risk taker, he was brave and audacious. Sometimes that skill or flick didn't work, sometimes he lost the ball, but when it did work it usually ended up in a great goal-scoring opportunity for his team.

In an Arsenal shirt I've seen no evidence of any of that. If anything he's the opposite, he plays it safe and backwards even when there's an opportunity to get forward. His close control is pretty good, but he doesn't look particularly good at dribbling at pace one on one against a full back.

Maybe it's just a confidence issue, but every time he's had a good game and I think he's going to really push on he just fizzles out again. I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think we've got the wrong player.
    i do't think that characterises his performance yesterday at all, he was looking to take players on and get it into the box mostly - it's mainly Xhaka and Musatafi who pass it back and forth endlessly.

i iwasn't that impressed with his corners but overall he did well - a close second to Saka for MOTM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an article about Pepe when we signed him and it said he was a risk taker, he was brave and audacious. Sometimes that skill or flick didn't work, sometimes he lost the ball, but when it did work it usually ended up in a great goal-scoring opportunity for his team.

In an Arsenal shirt I've seen no evidence of any of that. If anything he's the opposite, he plays it safe and backwards even when there's an opportunity to get forward. His close control is pretty good, but he doesn't look particularly good at dribbling at pace one on one against a full back.

Maybe it's just a confidence issue, but every time he's had a good game and I think he's going to really push on he just fizzles out again. I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think we've got the wrong player.
    He’s not very polished, if anything it’s his athleticism that probably makes things happen for him rather than any specific skill set he may have. I think we’ve horrendously overpaid but I think he could be a useful player for us if given a run in the team. He’s been in and out too much this season when he should really be starting every week because we aren’t exactly blessed with options who bring that air of unpredictability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id like to blame it on him being young, but at 24 he isnt. He needs to learn to use the right foot even if just to improve his dribbling skills. It would make him less predictable. Id prevail on him to watch reels on Bernardo Silva. Now thats a player thats totally irrepressible. If he can be 80% as good as Silva. Pepe would be worth the whole 72m.

That said our team has been shite this last 2 years or more. There are no genuine match winners in the squad and confidence is low all round. He joined a club in crisis. I cant blame him for all the mediocrity thats all around him. Still waiting for the light bulb to go off in his head. If it does he could be a great player
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe will prove all his doubters wrong in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair he did everything I was asking of him yesterday (i.e. was willing and ready to use his right when he needed to, was far quicker and more decisive with his actions and he did his bit defensively) and I think it made a difference? Kept his markers guessing and off-balance, and stopped the whole oppo defence getting back and getting organised as he tries to work an opening on his left.

I do think there's a very good player in there - my main gripe with him (and when I say 'him' I mean Raul and Emery) was always that he felt like a bit of a hush-signing to cushion the blow of ending up with Luiz after we lost Koscielny and Monreal, had to loan Saliba back to St Etienne, failed in a bid for Upamecano, and failed to move Mustafi on. (And potentially rinsed most of next summer's budget!)
    Last edited by I am invisible; 17-02-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Pepe will prove all his doubters wrong in time.
    I hope so. But how many players have we said that about? It's been a long time since one of these whizz-kids actually delivered. Our big signing successes have come from established talent. Alexis. Auba. Ozil for a while and maybe again some time in the future. Unless I'm missing somebody who we actually managed to develop, since Fabregas. We have Bellerin, a player going backwards (literally). Chambers was doing well at Southampton, but he's been hot and cold. Gervinho, of course. That dreadful Brazilian full back too. We don't have many success stories to tell.

Even Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, they never fully developed into the players they could have been.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe doesn't have the injury juju of that last triumvirate and has far more ability in the final third than Gerforeheadio.

6 goals and 6 assists and yet far too many people have claimed he is a waste of space. I heard he has a better goal to minute ratio than Sterling (haven't checked this is true) who most consider rightfully a world class player and that he has the third best contribution to goals tally in the prem...(again haven't checked the source of if it's true).

Managers need to stop randomly dropping him now. He is obviously a talent and one a club like ours absolutely needs to make work for us given the outlay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumours Saka is playing hardball. Surely 20kpw should be enough to keep him. No?
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Rumours Saka is playing hardball. Surely 20kpw should be enough to keep him. No?
    Doubt that. Every club in the league could double, maybe triple that at least. Too much money sloshing around now, so we will simply have to pay (within reason) whatever it is he wants. We’re talking about a player who could be here for the next decade, so hopefully we just get it done and ask the questions later because he’s shown enough to suggest it will be worth the investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Doubt that. Every club in the league could double, maybe triple that at least. Too much money sloshing around now, so we will simply have to pay (within reason) whatever it is he wants. We’re talking about a player who could be here for the next decade, so hopefully we just get it done and ask the questions later because he’s shown enough to suggest it will be worth the investment.