User Tag List

Page 2250 of 3191 FirstFirst ... 12501750215022002240224822492250225122522260230023502750 ... LastLast
Results 22,491 to 22,500 of 31909

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    How about a compulsory DNA database? Let's get one of those too, to go along with all the cameras and tech surveillance systems. And let's lock down the Internet and force identity checks on everyone trying to use it. Let's arbitrarily decide what's acceptable in terms of content and ban the rest.

There's so much we can be doing to keep you safe. I'm sure the Chinese government is keen on keeping people safe too. So unfair when they are labelled as authoritarian, commie scumbags.

Have you been reading up on AI? You're right, it won't be people watching everything you do 24/7. And by "you", yes, I mean you personally. We're about 20 years away from the total surveillance state. Boy oh boy, you'll be super safe then and you won't dare do a single thing to jeopardise that "safety". Not if you know what's good for you, not if you know your place.
    Well, DNA testing helps solve a lot of crimes and when it came in it exhonorated quite a few innocent people, so there's nothing wrong with a DNA databases in and of themselves any more than there is finger print libraries IF they are used for the right reasons. It's not about what information they have on me so much as what they're using it for and what effect it has on my life.

There's quite a lot of CCTV around right now, your web activity and emails are monitored or logged at least - in an automated way, no-one is sitting there reading your emails or watching you on CCTV cameras.

This is already going on and what effect does it have on your life? Day to day, what difference does it make? What freedoms has it cost you? For me it mostly means I get targetted advertising which can be a bit spooky but is generally fairly benign. I don't feel anyone is sitting there watching me all the time and even if they are it doesn't affect what I can or can't do. If it starts to then that will be a problem. Will it? I'm not convinced. Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, nearly 70 years ago and while yes, we are more surveilled now than ever I don't see it has had much if any effect on our day to day freedoms.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    As a Christian, where do you think things heading? What’s your take on the Book of Revelations?
    Ooft. That's a good question
    It doesn't sound like it's going to be pretty but whether that's imminent...this wouldn't be the first generation to think that the end of the world is nigh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40321203

At least Bono didn't stick his oar in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Well, DNA testing helps solve a lot of crimes and when it came in it exhonorated quite a few innocent people, so there's nothing wrong with a DNA databases in and of themselves any more than there is finger print libraries IF they are used for the right reasons. It's not about what information they have on me so much as what they're using it for and what effect it has on my life.

There's quite a lot of CCTV around right now, your web activity and emails are monitored or logged at least - in an automated way, no-one is sitting there reading your emails or watching you on CCTV cameras.

This is already going on and what effect does it have on your life? Day to day, what difference does it make? What freedoms has it cost you? For me it mostly means I get targetted advertising which can be a bit spooky but is generally fairly benign. I don't feel anyone is sitting there watching me all the time and even if they are it doesn't affect what I can or can't do. If it starts to then that will be a problem. Will it? I'm not convinced. Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, nearly 70 years ago and while yes, we are more surveilled now than ever I don't see it has had much if any effect on our day to day freedoms.
    Nice try. Not biting.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooft. That's a good question
    It doesn't sound like it's going to be pretty but whether that's imminent...this wouldn't be the first generation to think that the end of the world is nigh.
    It may not be a case of the world coming to an end anytime soon but laws are being passed to make it difficult to say, believe or practice certain things without it being considered a hate crime. If you have kids or are thinking about having kids, I don’t know how it’s possible to teach them about your faith in today’s society.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    It may not be a case of the world coming to an end anytime soon but laws are being passed to make it difficult to say, believe or practice certain things without it being considered a hate crime. If you have kids or are thinking about having kids, I don’t know how it’s possible to teach them about your faith in today’s society.
    It is getting more difficult, admittedly. I remember a while back someone at my old church musing about whether one day it would be illegal to proclaim that Jesus is the only means of salvation (which is what He said, and quite frankly given that all major religions contradict one another they can't all be right, either one is or none are). I don't think we're quite there yet but it is heading in that direction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice try. Not biting.
    What you're not doing, as usual, is answering straight questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you're not doing, as usual, is answering straight questions.
    No, I'm showing you respect you may or may not deserve. Either you were joking with that last post, in which case ha ha, or else you were serious, in which case the debate is over and I proved my point.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is getting more difficult, admittedly. I remember a while back someone at my old church musing about whether one day it would be illegal to proclaim that Jesus is the only means of salvation (which is what He said, and quite frankly given that all major religions contradict one another they can't all be right, either one is or none are). I don't think we're quite there yet but it is heading in that direction.
    It looks like it’s heading that way. Freedom of speech and freedom to do as you please as long as it’s secular.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm showing you respect you may or may not deserve. Either you were joking with that last post, in which case ha ha, or else you were serious, in which case the debate is over and I proved my point.
    All you've done in this discussion so far is declare yourself right and ignored my points and my simple, direct questions about your position.
    So yes, I agree. I'll go and talk to the grown ups.