User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Burnley (away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    The defence hasn't improved at the expense of the attack. Our attack hasn't been great most of this season and the problem has just continued.

I thought this was one of Arteta's poorest games as manager, if not the poorest.
    We were scoring more goals before he arrived to be honest,, so far we're incapable of scoring more than two goals (usually it's one) he's brought back that pointless sideways passing as well and that's on him.

As mentioned Ancelotti has outperformed him with a team that was below us, so there's no sugarcoating it, if a manager is good enough he delivers results, he doesn't complain about the length of the grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the spread of games he's had is enough to draw any lasting conclusions and obviously AUba has been out for 3 games. He was rusty today but had he been playing recently he'd easily had taken at least one chance today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The defence hasn't improved at the expense of the attack. Our attack hasn't been great most of this season and the problem has just continued.

I thought this was one of Arteta's poorest games as manager, if not the poorest.
    that's what I was going to say in response to Ozim. the attack hasn't gone backwards... it was already pretty backwards before hand. We are more solid defensively but we don't have a creative midfielder or goalscoring midfielder. We really should have kept Ramsey and let Ozil go on a free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think Arteta has done pretty poorly personally, yes we're a bit more solid in defence, but that's at the expense of the attack and we've picked up 8 points from 21 since he arrived!!!
    It was 7 points from 27 before he arrived.
    Overall we have won 2 out of the last 16 league games. 2!
    It's a horrible run.
    I'd vaguely agree Arteta hasn't had much impact but I don't really think it's fair to judge him yet. We have some serious issues scoring goals this season.
    With our talent up front it's pretty ridiculous, I'm increasingly thinking we made a big mistake letting Ramsey go.
    I don't think it's fair to judge Arteta yet, he gets a free pass from me this season, I want to see a big improvement next year.

Looking at the stats, the first 8 games this season were comparable to the last 2 years, since then it's gone off a cliff.
    We aren't losing many games but we just can't win them either. It's bizarre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re slightly less shit but shit is still shit.

It’s been quite disappointing that we haven’t really seen a new manager bounce but maybe that shows just how bad things had got. Don’t care about the remainder of the season, hopefully we can go far in the cups but otherwise roll on the summer. You can’t sensibly judge Arteta and the overall picture at the moment but if we don’t pick up a few wins soon you’d be forgiven if you thought about revoking his free pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It was 7 points from 27 before he arrived.
    Overall we have won 2 out of the last 16 league games. 2!
    It's a horrible run.
    I'd vaguely agree Arteta hasn't had much impact but I don't really think it's fair to judge him yet. We have some serious issues scoring goals this season.
    With our talent up front it's pretty ridiculous, I'm increasingly thinking we made a big mistake letting Ramsey go.
    I don't think it's fair to judge Arteta yet, he gets a free pass from me this season, I want to see a big improvement next year.

Looking at the stats, the first 8 games this season were comparable to the last 2 years, since then it's gone off a cliff.
    We aren't losing many games but we just can't win them either. It's bizarre.
    Yes it has been a horrible run no doubt about that.

For me though, we needed a manager who could make an instant impact and get some results, Spurs got one and even if people say they have better players, there's also the example of Everton who were actually below us when Arteta took over and are now above us with Ancelotti picking up 14 points and winning games, so Artetas' performance is underwhelming to say the least.

I'm also not particulalry impressed with his subs who seem to have little or no impact (and often seem like the wrong ones) and yesterday his lineup was wrong as well. Then there's the very vocal public support for Xhaka who plays every game and seems to be a guy he's building his team around, even ignoring his appauling behaviour (which has just been swept under the carpet btw - something that seems too easy at Arsenal) his performances for 4-5 years have been poor, yes he's been a bit better, but we still have to accommodate him and his limitations by playing certain players around him because he's so slow and can't tackle. He's also not convinced he can turn Mustafis' career around, that ship has sailed sell him and move on.

All in all if I had to rate him out of 10 so far he's get 4-5 out of 10, below average to average at best, IMO he should be getting some wins and goals should be easier to come by for us given our firepower, I'll credit him for improving the defence but for me the attack no lacks something and is struggling for goals somewhat.
    Last edited by Özim; 03-02-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    that's what I was going to say in response to Ozim. the attack hasn't gone backwards... it was already pretty backwards before hand. We are more solid defensively but we don't have a creative midfielder or goalscoring midfielder. We really should have kept Ramsey and let Ozil go on a free.
    ...or a goalscoring goalscorer for that matter, for the last few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of quality in our squad is shocking. We hardly create chances these days. Same old story against Burnley, slow sideways and backwards passes and it's a struggle to even get the ball into the final third, let alone make something out of it.

Pepe has been a massive disappointment. It's not just that he's not playing well, but it's because he goes missing. When Alexis was having a bad game it never stopped him from demanding the ball, trying to be proactive, getting in the box. Pepe's got the Ozil mentality. Hands on hips, shrug the shoulders and hide in a corner somewhere.

There's not even much to look forward to in the summer window either cause we know we don't have money to spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no more free passes. I will see how he goes but free passes have been discontinued. To exaggerate the point, if the draws suddenly become losses and we end up in the lower half of the table, Arteta can leave in the summer for all I'm concerned.

Our front line is probably the most expensive in the league. Just mull that over for a second. We should almost have a minimum level of output on that fact alone and yet we are 10th. It's been a ridiculous season.

Arteta managed the game very poorly yesterday and I think our press the last couple games has been drifting which is a concern....not least because the point of pressing is to force opportunities on goal you'd never otherwise have.....which is of particular use when you've failed to take every chance presented in a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arteta managed the game very poorly yesterday and I think our press the last couple games has been drifting which is a concern....not least because the point of pressing is to force opportunities on goal you'd never otherwise have.....which is of particular use when you've failed to take every chance presented in a game.
    i agree with that though it must be soul-destroying to try to create chances when you know Laca will fluff them anyway...

i knew after that miss in the first minute it wouldn't be a good day, it just set the tone