Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I agree....

However I do think something around the 70 million mark for a world top 3 (IMHO) goalkeeper aged 25 is a fair price. Fair is of course a relative word here. But alas....I'll concede that our budget of a few packet of frosties, werthers orginals and some magic beans will only go so far.

I've recently gotten off the fence and feel Kasper S at Leicester is a top goalie too.
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying he wouldn't represent decent market value by today's standards, even at that price - just that there's a smarter play that we should be following. I'm assuming Atletico got him from somewhere else first, for considerably less than 70m, and I feel like that's a more realistic, sustainable strategy for us to aim for (and one that also fits in with that identity of the club that we all proudly bought into 22 years ago, when we were doing smarter business than everyone else)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oblak had played a handful of games for Benfica and Atletico paid a La Liga record for a goalkeeper.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuts to that Athletico guy then - we need to get us Benfica's goalkeeping scout!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Athletico paid 16 million Euros probably about 12 million pounds or so at the time (in 2014), not a lot of money, Giroud cost 12.4 million Euros (in 2012), puts some perspective on it.
    Last edited by Özim; 09-07-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Athletico paid 16 million Euros probably about 12 million pounds or so at the time (in 2014), not a lot of money, Giroud cost 12.4 million Euros (in 2012), puts some perspective on it.
    Context is everything. Very misleading to talk about La Liga records being broken for a keeper when it's only £12m and Atletico have slapped a release clause on him that's reported to be around £70m -£80m.

A lot of clubs dropped the ball on this kid. We definitely dropped the ball. The year Oblak signed for Atletico, we signed Ospina so we were definitely looking for a keeper at the time. Scouts and Wenger dropped the ball on this one. Nothing new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Context is everything. Very misleading to talk about La Liga records being broken for a keeper when it's only £12m and Atletico have slapped a release clause on him that's reported to be around £70m -£80m.

A lot of clubs dropped the ball on this kid. We definitely dropped the ball. The year Oblak signed for Atletico, we signed Ospina so we were definitely looking for a keeper at the time. Scouts and Wenger dropped the ball on this one. Nothing new.
    Spot on, the original statement whilst true was very misleading (intentionally so IMO judging by what I know about that poster). 16 million Euros isn't a lot, Real and Barca who are the big spenders never really spent much on keepers, so clearly the La liga record was low.

Totally agree, not sure about other clubs but we certainly needed a keeper at the time, so to fail to spot his potential is disappointing. Atleticos' scouting network has over recent times been light years ahead, you only need to look at their team and the players they've found to see that.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've know for a while that our scouting has been pants. Oblak is just one of a handful of stars who were well within our price range & availability that we completely let slip (Salah, Van Dijk, Alderweid etc).

Hopefully the new regime fares a lot better.
    Last edited by The Emirates Gallactico; 09-07-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Spot on, the original statement whilst true was very misleading (intentionally so IMO judging by what I know about that poster). 16 million Euros isn't a lot, Real and Barca who are the big spenders never really spent much on keepers, so clearly the La liga record was low.

Totally agree, not sure about other clubs but we certainly needed a keeper at the time, so to fail to spot his potential is disappointing. Atleticos' scouting network has over recent times been light years ahead, you only need to look at their team and the players they've found to see that.
    It's the transfer activity and development of players from clubs like Atletico, Dortmund and even Leicester and Spurs for the club to realise how wrong we have gotten it over the years. We dedicated the majority of the Wenger years on identifying undervalued players and developing young players. That's over 10 years. The amount of 'gems' we found at the end of it is really really disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    It's the transfer activity and development of players from clubs like Atletico, Dortmund and even Leicester and Spurs for the club to realise how wrong we have gotten it over the years. We dedicated the majority of the Wenger years on identifying undervalued players and developing young players. That's over 10 years. The amount of 'gems' we found at the end of it is really really disappointing.
    Yes I totally agree, we spent so much time on that and it was a huge failure which is disappointing, hopefully the new team can put that right. Apparently Keown scouted Maguire for us but thought he wasn't mobile enough, another one we could have snapped up before his value rocketed!

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Maguire but let's not go that overboard for him.

Honestly think Chambers & Holding can be just as decent with the right setup & coaching.