User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wenger not a great motivator - Tony Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    When Adams played under Wenger, the team were motivated to win a couple of doubles and a few other bits of silver. Wenger was the manager then, as now. Of course, the kind of opposition we were facing was not as great as now.
    Yes but he had leaders like Adams, Vieira, Keown etc doing the motivating for him...now he has noone and you can see the result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure players should really need motivating.
    This isn't acting: What's my motivation?
    This is football. The motivation is the wheelbarrow of money you get each week and the chance of winning some silverware.
    The manager's job is to build a squad, I'm not sure why players should need any extra motivation to win games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Players suffer dips in confidence after defeats or not playing well, some players are strong minded enough to get through it, but motivation from a manager is important.

Ferguson is a great man manager and motivator, when the chips are down he picks his team up and this is priceless.

We've had some bad defeats in recent years, I'd have expected players to have been especially up for the return matches against teams they've suffered these losses against but everytime it's like those losses never took place.

The lack of leaders and strong personnalities is compounded my Wenger's inability to motivate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's clear that Wenger is not a great motivator IMO. What is most indicative is the way we respond to setbacks. Over the last few seasons, we have seen this team collapse spectacularly after a damaging result in a cup or league match or a traumatic incident during a game. This happened in 07-08 (Eduardo's injury and maulings in the Carling Cup and FA Cup), in 09-10 (after the Birmingham draw) and 10-11 after the Carling Cup defeat. A proper motivator would be able to pick the squad up from these disappointments, and it's what Fergie is great at doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    The lack of leaders and strong personnalities is compounded my Wenger's inability to motivate.
    I agree with that but Fergie's always had leaders out on the pitch too. You need that during a game, the manager can't do much while they're out there and it is something we've missed. I'm seeing some hope this year that we might have that with TV5 and some others around who I think can get us going when we're not playing well.

Wenger and Fergie clearly have different styles and different players respond in different ways. I wouldn't respond to Fergie's screaming at me, other players do. But we definitely need some leaders out on the pitch too and that's where we've been lacking. In the past Wenger's had great success when he's had leaders out on the pitch too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...=ILCNETTXT3487

Came across this quote in one of the papers today.

This is why Wenger needs to buy experienced players. If he can't motivate players, we're going to be in serious trouble this season because we're starting off in bad shape. It's why we collapse so often and can't hold a lead. If he doesn't buy experienced players before the deadline, this has to be his last season. I just can't see him motivating this players and it's probably why so many leave. Nice chap, but that's a serious character flaw.
    this from the man who said
    -"this is only an apprenticeship" (on taking over at wycombe)
    -"this s going to be hard" (on taking over at pompy)

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ability to motivate is such a fundamental part of the managers role. Thats why fergie can win the league last year with the squad we had, and we at best managed 4th. Our squad, in terms of abillity last year was stronger than utds. Yet we came no where, because talent without the right mentality equals medicore ie us for the last 6 years. Its clear during the invincibles that we had a group of special players, and wenger gets praise for assembling that group. But with the good teams we have, Wenger cannot push them over that finishing line, whereas managers such as fergie, mourinho etc can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    Donkey can fuck off.

Great captain, shit manager.

Stick to Azerbajanajanaj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Yes but he had leaders like Adams, Vieira, Keown etc doing the motivating for him...now he has noone and you can see the result.
    i think wednesday showed this statement to be wrong. a few players came out and said that they all motivated each other at half time to come out and play. and in this team now we have actual fans of the club, i believe frimpong and jenkison are real fans, you have tv5 and rvp who are vocal and strong leaders and then you have chesney as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsofashburtongrove View Post
    I know Tony Adams can say some silly thing and he has no real managerial credentials, but come on guys, he’s worked with Wenger for a number of years. It’s a valid opinion and it’s not as if we’re the type of team to bounce back from a defeat or setbacks.

As for players needing no motivation…come on now, they’re footballers, but they’re still human. When you start questioning your own ability or grow disillusioned, you need someone to pull you out of it. It doesn’t matter who you are, how much you earn of what you do.

Wenger believes he shouldn’t have to tell players certain things because it’s football and everyone wants to be a star, but I prefer Fergie and Mourinho’s approach. Wenger has been shitted on so many times by his own players and his approach doesn’t breed loyalty or respect. How can Vieira tap up one of our own players and disrespect the club and fans like this? The same goes for Clichy and Toure.

I just think this softly soft approach is killing us.