User Tag List

Page 277 of 439 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 4384

Thread: What will you be watching on TV tonight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of this over dramatic, heavily plot-driven staged bullshit. The Wire was excellent and Treme was unlike anything else on TV, flying in the face of the usual twists and shock tactics. All character, almost no plot at all. Show Me A Hero sounds very uninteresting from the outside but it's similarly understated and paced brilliantly. He writes shows that will stand the test of time. The fact that his last three efforts have all been ignored by the mainstream at the time of their airing is enough for people who enjoy proper drama to check them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Ignored by the mainstream, the ultimate seal of approval. I'll check these out. Always heard good things about The Wire but never got around to it.

It's not just writing though, there's an element of status surfing too. Moffat is sky high on Sherlock right now, deservedly so. Well, if you exclude season 3. Watched Doctor Who on Saturday, more in hope than expectation. Fuck me. Makes me wonder why I don't have a career as a TV writer. Oh yes, that's it, because I didn't collaborate on Sherlock. Dr Who is almost like a freebie in that respect. Shame, because the concept is as good as it has ever been and for 3 years now it has been calling out for a writer that gives a fuck.

Meanwhile, instead of doing work, I'm in the middle of "Line of Duty" on Netflix. It got the full 5 stars and it's okay, but if it was really great I wouldn't have paused it to check GW. Would I? I often find myself scanning Netflix and Amazon trying to find that hidden gem that didn't get the mainstream stamp of approval. We need a new rating system, mainstream stars for the crash bang generation and "yeah, it really does have a plot" stars for the rest.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generation Kill is the only Simon show I haven't seen. There are so many let downs on TV, an endless stream of puffed up, waver thin ideas that may manage to cover up the shit writing and direction with over-the-top plot antics but once all the usual tricks are out the bag, the clock is running. Usually have way through the first series.

In the desperate rush to be king of the ratings, character is nearly always forsaken in favour of twists and endless shock tactics that after a couple of seasons leave themselves cornered, with no option but to become more convoluted and ludicrous before people eventually move on.

The Sopranos? All day. The Wire? Yes. Breaking Bad? Gave up after season two as I saw it heading in the same inflated direction. Could still be wrong about that one given the love people have for it. Game of Thrones? Go fuck yourself. Dexter, CSI? No and no. Sherlock I really should give a go. Even my 16-year-old adores it.

Although I find shows like Treme so much more absorbing - nearly no plot at all, just care and time spent on developing lives and people who nearly feel as real as we do. The problem is, a show like that comes round once in a blue moon. As brave as HBO were to air it, even they had to knock it on the head after three and a half seasons. I tried another one last month, Mr Robot. A hacker fighting the system etc etc blah blah. Total bullshit, turned it off before the end of the first episode. The scariest thing about that show is the re-packaging and selling of anti-establishment ideas as prime time entertainment. Basically, the revolution being televised. With ad breaks of course.
    Last edited by Kano; 21-09-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Watched this before work this morning.

Fucking idiot.

Also please don't post book spoiilers - some people (me) don't care or want to know what was in the books.
    Yeah!

We don't care much for fancy book learning round these parts.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've mentioned it before, but you should watch True Detective season one, N_Q. In terms of writing and character, it is top, top quality.

Also, Peaky Blinders is great to just get lost in. You rarely see British stuff like this, but it's classier and richer than any American gangster film in a long time. It's only six episodes in both series too.

If we're talking just about how well something is written, Ripper Street is also very good. The use of language is wonderful at times and shows a care that you rarely see in what is still mainly a crime thriller. The series started off a bit conservatively and almost felt like CSI: Victorian London. But, it eventually found it's feet and improved on everything from the development of the characters to the balance between weekly procedural and overall arching plots and themes. You'll probably find it daft in places, but as far as great-looking and sounding, suitably atmospheric and violent entertainment goes, it's triffic.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the bottom two. Both very good. Though I find some of the language a bit stilted in Ripper Street at times, though I guess that's because to our ears it does sound odd.

Plus, they filmed some of Peaky Blinders (including Tom Hardy) near where I work. And he had a coffee somewhere I've had coffee. On nearly the same day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw some of Peaky Blinders last Christmas, wasn't too bad really. Nice thick atmosphere, well shot, written and directed. Plus Cillian Murphy is a largely under appreciated actor. Might go back to that at some point then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firmino Is Boss View Post
    at the bottom two. Both very good. Though I find some of the language a bit stilted in Ripper Street at times, though I guess that's because to our ears it does sound odd.

Plus, they filmed some of Peaky Blinders (including Tom Hardy) near where I work. And he had a coffee somewhere I've had coffee. On nearly the same day.
    Matthew Macfadyen suits the language perfectly, but some of the other actors do seem to struggle with it, especially some of the pub-team scrotes who I'm not sure would have been able to speak that well.

I think it's filmed near where Game Of Thrones is, which is probably why Jerome Flynn is able to do both. Loads of other actors who've popped up in both as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual the writing and performances found in Generation Kill maintain the high standard seen across David Simon's career. It is probably the best attempt at bringing life in the armed forces during wartime to the small or large screen, no judgements made, just telling us like it is and leaving us to decide. Another highly recommend show. Moving onto The Corner next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HIGNFY. Jeremy Clarkson is cunt. Richard Osman has gone up in my estimation.