User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: False Dawn v Spurs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Ask Liverpool or City if they'd swap their last few seasons for FA Cup wins.
    Why? The answer would be obvious. But you said “when it really matters to the fans, the club lets them down.” That has certainly been true too often, but it hasn’t always been the case.

You’re right, it shouldn’t be the limit of our ambitions but that’s a different debate.
    And you’re right, we are so far away from the biggest prizes now - but that’s why the progress we’ve made is to be welcomed and IMO Arteta needs to be given time to continue that. If the progress doesn’t continue then fine, get rid. But you can’t simultaneously grumble at how far we are away from the very top teams and grumble that we aren’t closer this season. How could we be given where we’ve been? How much progress can you reasonably expect in one season? Last year we weren’t even in the conversation for Top 4, this year it’s in our hands with 2 games left. If we balls it up (as admittedly seems likely) then it does call into question how much progress we have really made. But there have been undoubtedly been some positive signs this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just think, if Liverpool win the FA Cup in the next 30 mins, all they need to do is win it 3 times more to be up to our level! Scary.

I'm not talking about a single season. I'm talking about the repeating patterns through so many seasons. And the continued lack of authority in anything this club does, either on or off the pitch. I would say this is a random club. Toss a coin. Fans get three favourable coin tosses in a row and we're the best thing since sliced bread. Then the "luck" changes (ref cheats, somebody gets injured, somebody dives, excuses, excuses) and the manager needs to be sacked. As if the manager has anything to do with the nothingness that is so entirely representative of this (used to be) football club.

Of course, you can ignore everything that went before and just go with the moment. That's actually more fun than reality.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    No one who wants to win the CL gives a toss about FA cup wins, now or ever.
    Did you see how Klopp, the Liverpool players and fans reacted today at the end?
    Y’know, Liverpool the CL finalists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Of course, you can ignore everything that went before and just go with the moment. That's actually more fun than reality.
    You should neither ignore it nor dwell on it.
    The only relevant questions from where we are right now are whether we heading in the right direction, are we doing so fast enough and is Arteta the right person to take us back to the top.

My answers to those questions so far are yes, yes realistically and probably not but I’m willing to give him a chance for now. Arteta isn’t Wenger, he’s not weighed down by all that baggage. If he’s not doing then fine, get rid. I question how far any manager can take us given our ownership but that’s a different discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Did you see how Klopp, the Liverpool players and fans reacted today at the end?
    Y’know, Liverpool the CL finalists.
    So you expect them to get to the final and not try their best. Again as ever you miss the point. Keep clutching those FA cups and telling Pool fans how we are far ahead of them in wins.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    So you expect them to get to the final and not try their best.
    Where did you get that from?
    You said “No one who wants to win the CL gives a toss about FA cup wins, now or ever.”
    The reaction from Klopp, the Liverpool players and fans today says different.

And I’m not telling Liverpool fans anything.
    They’re light years ahead of us, clearly.
    But what were the reasonable expectations for us this season?
    Your baseline shouldn’t be The Invincibles. It would be nice to get to that level again but we are nowhere near that now. The only reasonable basis for comparison is last season. After that season what were you expecting this year, a title challenge?

Ultimately I want Arsenal to be competing for the biggest prizes, of course I do. But you’re not going to bridge the gap between us and the top teams in one season given where we started from. We are clearly a work in progress, but I do think there’s been some progress. If that doesn’t continue next year then fine, let’s try again with someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said “No one who wants to win the CL gives a toss about FA cup wins, now or ever.”

Your baseline shouldn’t be The Invincibles. It would be nice to get to that level again but we are nowhere near that now. The only reasonable basis for comparison is last season. After that season what were you expecting this year, a title challenge?

Ultimately I want Arsenal to be competing for the biggest prizes, of course I do. But you’re not going to bridge the gap between us and the top teams in one season given where we started from. We are clearly a work in progress, but I do think there’s been some progress. If that doesn’t continue next year then fine, let’s try again with someone else.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasonable expectations? I can think of one. Learn how to pass the ball forwards (like Liverpool).
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that from you because as I have said many times you were there all along while your Idol was in charge justifying how we we are doing ok while slipping down the pecking order and yes here you are again rationalising how were are 8 years behind teams we used to look down on or at least eye to eye. No one in a Man U forum will be making the platitudes about losing like you do. Everyone at the start of each season starts from the same position but at Arsenal by Xmas we have only reasonable expectations. Winners plan to win, losers line up excuses. Everything about you is excuses and that goes for your loyal brain dead followers too.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day