User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction: Arsenal 3-1 Leicester Square

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I keep forgetting Mavropanos even exists. Is he injured or does Emery simply not rate him enough right now?
    Out till November apparently....
    On a more encouraging note....he and Holding are 6'3 / 6'4 so we have a few in the ranks of good stature at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    He lacks pace and was exposed for that again the other night. That for me is a big issue given we play a high line system, that requires mobile defenders.

Of course I understand that Holding isn't responsible for keeping our Defence together, and understand and agree that all of our Defenders make mistakes. The issue I have is that if we continue with this high line system, which I believe we will, Holding is going to be targeted against mobile attackers and vulnerable to that.

As I said on one of my earlier posts Holding has done well this season...but I don't see him as a long term option given his lack of mobility.
    Totally agree, you can't have two slow CBs on top of that as that makes you very vulnerable to pace, what we need is someone quick in there to at least give us an option if we're up against some speedy forwards.

Holding came from a lower league without any kind of real pedigree, he's done OK but what makes him good enough to play for a top PL club, even England haven't given him in a place in the squad (and nobodies seem to get in there) and at 23 he's no longer a kid to be honest.

Just not convinced he's going to be top class and I agree only outstanding young players should feature in the 1st team, like you said we're not a nursery, let's not forget Wenger cherry picked this guy and what he knows about defending can be written on the back of a postage stamp so I don't hold much hope for Holding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    He lacks pace and was exposed for that again the other night. That for me is a big issue given we play a high line system, that requires mobile defenders.

Of course I understand that Holding isn't responsible for keeping our Defence together, and understand and agree that all of our Defenders make mistakes. The issue I have is that if we continue with this high line system, which I believe we will, Holding is going to be targeted against mobile attackers and vulnerable to that.

As I said on one of my earlier posts Holding has done well this season...but I don't see him as a long term option given his lack of mobility.
    If you're playing a highline, organisation, pressing and not given the opposition so much space is key. Holding isn't the quickest but he recovered well and kept up the chase when forced into one on one races. A world class CB with recovery pace is ideal but we're forced to work with what we have. If teams are able to target a CB with one ball that forces our defenders to scurry back to avoid a one on one with the keeper, that means something has gone wrong with the system and we're not pressing hard enough in the middle to prevent the pass. Even with pace in the team, we'd be vulnerable because mistakes always happen when defenders are forced into one on one situations. It happened with Bellerin yesterday and we've seen it plenty of times when we've had quick players.

I don't think he was exposed last night. We've had an international break, he's playing with a new LB next him and it was a dodgy first half for most of the players. Emery has to get these slow first halves under control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the profile of player Diallo was and have recently found out Dortmund signed in the summer. Looked decent against Atletico last night but there are few quality defenders who won't cost a packet....though it sounds like France has a few relatively unknown gems and the Dutch league has a few that are quickly being hyped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And no Sporting thread? The game is less than 6 hours!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    And no Sporting thread? The game is less than 6 hours!
    Maccy! Sort it out!

How come we played on Monday if we're playing tonight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Maccy! Sort it out!

How come we played on Monday if we're playing tonight?
    Because we can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That remains to be seen. Also, fun fact - other people can start match threads.
    Maybe not with the same style and panache as Maccy, but it can be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maccy will just edit in his style and panache if it’s lacking anyway.

We must respect our glorious leader.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na na na na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na na
    Maccy
    Maccy.