User Tag List

Page 311 of 312 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 3116

Thread: Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    In some ways, this ties in with what we were saying in the other thread [about how the game has changed because of the new offside laws, and how defensive lines have started to sit deeper] - maybe Sanchez and Walcott are already being used as strikers where they currently are? Maybe wide attack is just where you have to play that type of striker in a lot of games now, because there's no room in the middle? Put an unglamorous battering-ram like Giroud or Welbeck in the middle to push the CBs around, and have your wide forwards follow in behind to pounce on any gaps that they make (or overlap on the counter if anyone's stupid enough to play high)?
    Yeah, I see what your saying. It's the same strategy we tried with Chamakh. Space is in the wide areas and I can see that Walcott has stopped playing as a winger and Wenger now has him playing closer to the striker. He dribbles and carries the ball forward far less than he used to and it relates to Wenger telling him to study Ljunberg.

The problem with Ground, Welbeck and Chamakh is that they don't have that explosive movement in the box to worry defenders. They're movement doesn't create space for others. Giroud hardly moves. He'll make a pass and then admire his work. Also, they're not strong enough to be a battering ram like a Drogba type or Adebayor. Defenders don't fear or worry about marking them. That's the problem with it in practice although I understand the theory.

With someone like Sanchez or Theo up front, they lack the physical presence but they have the movement and energy. Playing short one twos in front of the opposition and they'll just ghost past the defenders. Similar to the false 9 Messi played, someone more nimble and quick can play between the lines and make up the ground to get back onto the box. I remember Gervinho played the role once and the movement and chances we created were dangerous.... but it was Gervinho! He couldn't finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Oh I definitely agree, I think we have to do that now...I'm just saying ideally we shouldn't be in the position where that is our only realistic option.
    To be honest if Wenger wasn't going to buy a striker I'd have preferred us to start with Sanchez up top in pre season. I think the only reason Wenger doesn't do it is because he thinks sticking Walcott on the left will leave Monreal too exposed...my answer to that?? Don't play Monreal hes too fucking slow and is he really that good to begin with?.
    Yeah, we really shouldn't be in this position. He should have gave Theo and Sanchez a proper run up front last season. When Ground was in his funk he should have been hooked for Theo but Wenger waited until the very end of the season which was silly. Theo took his chances when player there but the season ended and then Wenger decides to bench him again. It's not good for confidence and momentum especially after having good games up front.

As for Sanchez, Wenger should have stuck by him up front fro much long at the start of the season before we even considered Welbeck. He dilly dailies on these decisions too much and surely he has seen enough of Giroud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm shit arsed, but the way I see it we're going to win the league.

Never knew Arsene was an alcoholic - but at times like this we see eye to eye.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I disagree, IMO striker was the priority, it's definitely our weakest position.
    So you believe none of the points about ageing midfielders who rarely play, inexperience and lack of suitability for a deep central role are valid? That none of the above are true? Even though we have old midfielders who rarely play and an inexperienced DM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Yeah, we really shouldn't be in this position. He should have gave Theo and Sanchez a proper run up front last season. When Ground was in his funk he should have been hooked for Theo but Wenger waited until the very end of the season which was silly. Theo took his chances when player there but the season ended and then Wenger decides to bench him again. It's not good for confidence and momentum especially after having good games up front.

As for Sanchez, Wenger should have stuck by him up front fro much long at the start of the season before we even considered Welbeck. He dilly dailies on these decisions too much and surely he has seen enough of Giroud.
    Even with the "internal solutions" at his disposal, and transfers aside, he's inept at getting the maximum out of the squad he has. Idiotic decision making at times, repeatedly and quite a few times over ......not calling him an idiot, but gosh this manager sure as hell handicaps us because of his "know it all stubbornness".
    'WHEN HE HAS A PLAN, WE BACK HIM, WHEN HE DOESN'T......WE KEEP QUIET'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    So you believe none of the points about ageing midfielders who rarely play, inexperience and lack of suitability for a deep central role are valid? That none of the above are true? Even though we have old midfielders who rarely play and an inexperienced DM?
    I think it's valid but I don't think it'll stop us winning the title. The lack of a proper world class striker is more likely to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I'm shit arsed, but the way I see it we're going to win the league.

Never knew Arsene was an alcoholic - but at times like this we see eye to eye.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I think it's valid but I don't think it'll stop us winning the title. The lack of a proper world class striker is more likely to.
    Really? You don't think if Coquelin gets injured or suspended we are completely fucked? That's interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Really? You don't think if Coquelin gets injured or suspended we are completely fucked? That's interesting
    I agree with Letters for once. IF is the key word regarding the DM position. But with the striker position, we certainly are fucked if we're relying on Giroud.

Coquelin might not get injured. Also, Arteta might try to come back with a point to prove if that were to happen. But I've said it before, even if we signed a DM, I don't see it making a major difference to our title chances without a top class striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the position we most needed strengthening in at the start of the summer was goalkeeper, which we did. After that, it would be midfield and forward, so I'm still disappointed we didn't do anything in those respects.