Thread: Here's where we are.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    Struck a nerve with your wee tadger here, eh?

Anyway, glad we agree on him being shite at shooting. Difficult not to though, even for blinkered arsenal fans.

As for comparing him...I'm not. I'm judging him on his merits and how he impacts games. I put a challenge out there to anyone to name a couple of games he's dominated but no one has responded. Weird that, eh?

Regardless, it's others who are comparing him against the rest of the squad. Multiple people stating that "he is our best player", ffs. Anyone who thinks Saka is a better footballer than Ramsdale, Tierney, Tommy, Gabriel, Partey or Odegaard has absolutely no fuckin business commenting on fitba, ffs. Beyond ridiculous. That's objective fact anaw. Naw even a matter of opinion.

I'd actually have Saka behind Martinelli and ESR too, in terms of both current ability and potential, fwiw.

But Saka is the Golden Boy and objectivity be damned.
    I think there are players who get overhyped by the fan base. Ramsey for example was the bane of my existence because he summed up a midfield that lacked dynamism, no pace, poor first touch….passing not brilliant.

Yes I do think Saka is our best player and is better than the players you mentioned, but again it feels odd saying that because not comparing like for like. I don’t think there is a single player that has individually won us a game in the way a Henry or Van Persie did. But unlike you I would take Saka over Pepe in the position they play.

Pepe is the closest player I’ve ever seen to Laurent Robert in his application, and believe me that’s not a positive comparison. Robert was capable of excellent football but he was capable of being an utter prick and doing nothing. Pepe has an awful first touch, he doesn’t track back and it’s a 50/50 as to whether he shows for the ball at all. He’s a luxury player, but not one who’s grit and determination wins you games.

I think Arteta has made a lot of mistakes with not rotating the squad last season but Pepe just simply does not give a fuck

Saka pesters defenders, he’s always there to receive a pass and frankly I think he actually makes Odegaard look better than he is.

I agree with you about there being a tendency towards orthodoxy amongst the fan base I just think you’re utterly wrong on this.

I like Martinelli and Smith Rowe, I think Martinelli has especially been frustrated by putting in service to Lacazette with him no where to be seen. Smith Rowe frankly looks like he needs to lose a bit of weight, I think he’s got a good footballing brain but he has looked unfit for a while, plus not helped by Arteta playing him and Odegaard in the same team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I think there are players who get overhyped by the fan base. Ramsey for example was the bane of my existence because he summed up a midfield that lacked dynamism, no pace, poor first touch….passing not brilliant.

Yes I do think Saka is our best player and is better than the players you mentioned, but again it feels odd saying that because not comparing like for like. I don’t think there is a single player that has individually won us a game in the way a Henry or Van Persie did. But unlike you I would take Saka over Pepe in the position they play.

Pepe is the closest player I’ve ever seen to Laurent Robert in his application, and believe me that’s not a positive comparison. Robert was capable of excellent football but he was capable of being an utter prick and doing nothing. Pepe has an awful first touch, he doesn’t track back and it’s a 50/50 as to whether he shows for the ball at all. He’s a luxury player, but not one who’s grit and determination wins you games.

I think Arteta has made a lot of mistakes with not rotating the squad last season but Pepe just simply does not give a fuck

Saka pesters defenders, he’s always there to receive a pass and frankly I think he actually makes Odegaard look better than he is.

I agree with you about there being a tendency towards orthodoxy amongst the fan base I just think you’re utterly wrong on this.

I like Martinelli and Smith Rowe, I think Martinelli has especially been frustrated by putting in service to Lacazette with him no where to be seen. Smith Rowe frankly looks like he needs to lose a bit of weight, I think he’s got a good footballing brain but he has looked unfit for a while, plus not helped by Arteta playing him and Odegaard in the same team.
    We actually have a lot of common ground, tbh. Ramsey was another fan favorite but he couldn't play a single position.

Also agree on Martinelli and ESR.

On Pepe I think he stopped giving a fuck when Arteta started messing him about...not that I think he stopped caring, as such, but I know exactly what you mean and how it could be perceived as such.

On Saka you're just plain wrong though, man. I don't think you actually think he's our best player either. That's just too ridiculous. He's your favorite player, not the best player. Comments like he always shows for the ball are mind blowing to me because that's one of my biggest gripes with him. He can and does disappear from games constantly and is happy just hanging out on the line, behind an opposition player. As for his impact on Odegaard...it's the opposite way about. If Odegaard had someone other than Saka there he'd have double the assists he had. Sala doesn't pres well and his defensive efforts are often lamentable, ffs. I'm not even sure who you're watching, man. Just utterly blinded by bias/favoritism, maybe? I'd have thought even his biggest, objective, fans would sees the glaring issues in his game.

Can you even tell me a couple of games you thought he was really good in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually have a lot of common ground, tbh. Ramsey was another fan favorite but he couldn't play a single position.

On Pepe I think he stopped giving a fuck when Arteta started messing him about...not that I think he stopped caring, as such, but I know exactly what you mean and how it could be perceived as such.

On Saka you're just plain wrong though, man. I don't think you actually think he's our best player either. That's just too ridiculous. He's your favorite player, not the best player. Comments like he always shows for the ball are mind blowing to me because that's one of my biggest gripes with him. He can and does disappear from games constantly and is happy just hanging out on the line, behind an opposition player. As for his impact on Odegaard...it's the opposite way about. If Odegaard had someone other than Saka there he'd have double the assists he had. Sala doesn't pres well and his defensive efforts are often lamentable, ffs. I'm not even sure who you're watching, man. Just utterly blinded by bias/favoritism, maybe? I'd have thought even his biggest, objective, fans would sees the glaring issues in his game.

I don’t have favourite players, I’m not a 12 year old collecting panini stickers

Yes I do think he’s our best player. It’s got nothing to do with whether I think he’s a nice lad (because I have absolutely no idea if he is….I know he’s a bit of a bible basher but that’s it)

So it’s nothing to do with favouritism. To be honest it would easier to name games where he was poor and I think he wasn’t great towards the end of the season as he looked like he needed to be rested

But I think he absolutely tormented Spurs and City in the games at the Emirates

Leeds away, first half against Leicester away, Villa away also particularly stand out for me

I think it’s lazy to blame Pepe on Arteta. With the exception of his cameo against Wolves, the guy has done nothing when brought on. Why on earth would you not just put on a performance just to prove Arteta wrong, but he looks disinterested. Lazy passes, heavy first touches, doesn’t show for the ball and often just gives the ball away.

This was a player that we all had high expectations from because of how much we paid Lille for him, and I’ve seen nothing that makes me think Arteta was wrong to drop him.

He can dribble better than others in the team (when he feels like it) but given that three years ago Iwobi was the only player we had that could dribble it’s a low bar to get over.

Saka can dribble, he is technically good, decent first touch, excellent work rate and has come good in terms of goal scoring. And I think he has been the most consistent performer for us this season gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have favourite players, I’m not a 12 year old collecting panini stickers

Yes I do think he’s our best player. It’s got nothing to do with whether I think he’s a nice lad (because I have absolutely no idea if he is….I know he’s a bit of a bible basher but that’s it)

So it’s nothing to do with favouritism. To be honest it would easier to name games where he was poor and I think he wasn’t great towards the end of the season as he looked like he needed to be rested

But I think he absolutely tormented Spurs and City in the games at the Emirates

Leeds away, first half against Leicester away, Villa away also particularly stand out for me

I think it’s lazy to blame Pepe on Arteta. With the exception of his cameo against Wolves, the guy has done nothing when brought on. Why on earth would you not just put on a performance just to prove Arteta wrong, but he looks disinterested. Lazy passes, heavy first touches, doesn’t show for the ball and often just gives the ball away.

This was a player that we all had high expectations from because of how much we paid Lille for him, and I’ve seen nothing that makes me think Arteta was wrong to drop him.

He can dribble better than others in the team (when he feels like it) but given that three years ago Iwobi was the only player we had that could dribble it’s a low bar to get over.

Saka can dribble, he is technically good, decent first touch, excellent work rate and has come good in terms of goal scoring. And I think he has been the most consistent performer for us this season gone
    Favouritism.

Exactly as I suspected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favouritism.

Exactly as I suspected.
    Bit of a silly arse aren’t you?

Nah the last player there was at Arsenal who even vaguely approached being my favourite was Flamini. Not because he was any good, it was just he seemed to take perverse pride in felling people, would put in a clumsy tackle to halt an attack and then pump his fist at the crowd like he’d scored a goal. It wasn’t Stoke level thuggery, but he took genuine enjoyment in introducing people to the turf.
    I had a soft spot for Rosicky even though arguably he was crocked and a more ruthless club would have moved him on years ago but I’d been at the game when he scored those two long range howitzers at Liverpool in the fa cup.

I just think Saka is a genuinely good performer who menaces defences

The other players you’ve mentioned with the exception of Ramsdale have been distinctly hit and miss at times

Ben White was a decent signing because he’s the only centre back we have who is comfortable on the ball but his positional play in defence can be suspect and he’s too easily beaten in the air

Partey by his own admission has been shit at times. I wish he’d stopped going for goal constantly seems determined to score a screamer but his two goals for us have come from corners. I think this partly comes down to the lack of protection he gets from Xhaka but he’s not great at dealing with the high press either.

Odegaard goes missing far more often than Saka, like Ozil he’s no interest in dropping deep to receive the ball and a lot of his best attacking moves comes from link up play with Saka.

I don’t think Saka is head and shoulders better than everyone around him because we don’t have that stand out player in the team anymore. But I think he’s by far our most consistent performer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a silly arse aren’t you?

Nah the last player there was at Arsenal who even vaguely approached being my favourite was Flamini. Not because he was any good, it was just he seemed to take perverse pride in felling people, would put in a clumsy tackle to halt an attack and then pump his fist at the crowd like he’d scored a goal. It wasn’t Stoke level thuggery, but he took genuine enjoyment in introducing people to the turf.
    I had a soft spot for Rosicky even though arguably he was crocked and a more ruthless club would have moved him on years ago but I’d been at the game when he scored those two long range howitzers at Liverpool in the fa cup.

I just think Saka is a genuinely good performer who menaces defences

The other players you’ve mentioned with the exception of Ramsdale have been distinctly hit and miss at times

Ben White was a decent signing because he’s the only centre back we have who is comfortable on the ball but his positional play in defence can be suspect and he’s too easily beaten in the air

Partey by his own admission has been shit at times. I wish he’d stopped going for goal constantly seems determined to score a screamer but his two goals for us have come from corners. I think this partly comes down to the lack of protection he gets from Xhaka but he’s not great at dealing with the high press either.

Odegaard goes missing far more often than Saka, like Ozil he’s no interest in dropping deep to receive the ball and a lot of his best attacking moves comes from link up play with Saka.

I don’t think Saka is head and shoulders better than everyone around him because we don’t have that stand out player in the team anymore. But I think he’s by far our most consistent performer
    Wilshire was my last real favorite, but as I said earlier, I have an unexplainable soft spot for Holding.

I think Ramsdale and Gabriel were consistently good. They both had a couple of dodgy moments but that's expected from players of their age and position. They were the best players, by a distance for me. Then Odegaard. Tierney, Tommy and Partey we're out too often to be considered, unfortunately. And on Partey, I actually agree he hasn't been as good as he can be. He's still a class apart from anyone in the squad though and he was demonstrating that pretty consistently before his last injury...for a few months he was showing what he was really about. Strange that a player so robust at Atletico hasnt been able to stay fit at Arsenal.

Saka is consistent. I'll give you that. Consistently shit though. Odegaard plays on the right hand side so it's obvious he'll engage more with Saka. That's also partly why we're imbalanced and ESR and Martinelli are often exposed as they rarely have CM support. If anything this is another black mark against Saka. He has Odegaard in there occupying space and opposition for him and he fails to exploit it.

White just seems too lightweight for me but more than that, the frequency I which he puts his foot on top of the ball to look for a pass drives me fuckin mental. The pace and momentum of the team (which is shit as it is) grinds to a complete halt when he has the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)