User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wenger on contract renewals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    He prefers a safe style of comedy rather than a cutting edge one.
    You think they were Ryanair windows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    This thread is proof that Wenger could go to the highest mountain and say "I don't actually have any money to spend" and people would then twist that around to suggest that this is still down to the manager and no one else. QQ
    Far from it, I'm afraid. Wenger is talking about a policy that has been around since he first started here. He introduced the 30 plus contract rule from when we were at Highbury. So, this isn't something that has just been introduced because of the Emirates project. I'd agree with you if things weren't like this before the move away from Highbury but his philopsphy hasn't changed in recent years. Also, what he's talking about doesn't relate to our financial position. These are his thoughts. He believes that player wages shouldn't always be on the increase especially when a players performance drops when they reach a certain age. As said, he came to Arsenal with theses ideas and it's not born out of circumstance.

What he says makes sense. Why should a player expect a pay increase when his performance on the pitch is likely to drop. But I wish this sort of thinking was applied to some our youth players. Why are they earning so much when they can't even perform at the required standard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Far from it, I'm afraid. Wenger is talking about a policy that has been around since he first started here. He introduced the 30 plus contract rule from when we were at Highbury. So, this isn't something that has just been introduced because of the Emirates project. I'd agree with you if things weren't like this before the move away from Highbury but his philopsphy hasn't changed in recent years. Also, what he's talking about doesn't relate to our financial position. These are his thoughts. He believes that player wages shouldn't always be on the increase especially when a players performance drops when they reach a certain age. As said, he came to Arsenal with theses ideas and it's not born out of circumstance.

What he says makes sense. Why should a player expect a pay increase when his performance on the pitch is likely to drop. But I wish this sort of thinking was applied to some our youth players. Why are they earning so much when they can't even perform at the required standard?
    So Wenger saying: "we sold them around the age of 29 and 30. Why? Because we needed the money and for them to not go for free." In PnG mind = "doesn't relate to our financial position. These are his thoughts."

Yep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i think wenger is saying is that they could not afford to lose assets for free, not necessarily because the money was needed to just survive. he mentions 'we survived at the top in selling our good players' which i think means that despite selling we've maintained a healthy position in the league, rather than we survived by selling our best players. which makes a lot of sense given our capacity at highbury etc.

what the bigger picture seems to indicate is that in order to continue to grow, we needed to ensure we got a return from valuable players rather than lose them for nothing. the alternative would've meant we'd survive just fine if we got nothing for them but our rate of growth would've slowed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    So Wenger saying: "we sold them around the age of 29 and 30. Why? Because we needed the money and for them to not go for free." In PnG mind = "doesn't relate to our financial position. These are his thoughts."Yep.
    So you think we're a club that's really struggling to pay the bills? Do you really think it's that bad and we're desperate for cash? We could have sold Vieira, Henry and Cesc for way more than what we originally sold them for. Why didn't we? Worth reading what Wenger actually said because their are numerous statements from the club saying the opposite of your suggesting and you still ignore it.