User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Top four? No chance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be difficult now. We're basically up against Chelsea and their impending January transfer splurge. Liverpool also might pose a threat.

It's a big ask to finish fourth and too big an ask for this current squad.

And fans thinking we're going to sign quality in January?? Think again! Where have you been for the last 6 years????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    It's going to be difficult now. We're basically up against Chelsea and their impending January transfer splurge. Liverpool also might pose a threat.

It's a big ask to finish fourth and too big an ask for this current squad.

And fans thinking we're going to sign quality in January?? Think again! Where have you been for the last 6 years????
    You didn't notice us buying players in August then, beefing up the squad, increasing our resiliance with pretty immediate and consistent results? After the defeats and thrashings we had in August, making us look like relegation fodder, we are now a point off top 4. But for the glitch yesterday, we would have pushed chavs into 5th. There will be no problem with Wenger being able to spend in January as the loss of a top 4 slot would have such an impact on the finances and potentially mean a loss for several years.

And yes - I think he will try and buy quality. If you mean a massive name from Barca or something like that, then it is less likely, but there are good players who don't currently play for the big name teams that we can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a strong chance we'll buy next month. Wenger must be fed up with Chamakh and Arshavin by now, he gets nothing from them. Park doesn't even make most squads so we can only assume Wenger thinks he's lightweight and not ready, which begs the question how will he ever be ready without game time?

It's not fair to say we are a one man team because that ignores the important contributions of others, however when your CB (Vermaelen) is as good a bet to score as the other forwards, you know you aren't getting enough elsewhere. If anything is going to cost us 4th, it will be the poor squad depth up front.

RVP looks like he may be entering a mini drought of sorts, having scored just once from open play in 4 games. In that time no one has really stepped up to the level required, and it's shown in the performances which have dropped down a gear, and the relative lack of goals scored over the past couple weeks.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 28-12-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll buy but we won't buy top players. We're competing against Chelsea for the rest of the season and we need top quality.

Arteta, Santos, Merts are not top quality - they wouldn't even get into Tottenham's team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashburton2006 View Post
    Don't care if I get called a spud! But what a fucking shit day for footy! We can't beat a fucking pub team with 26 shots on goal and 73 per cent of the play! And to make it worse the shit side of north London win again with ease! Wenger! Buy a striker and a decent midfielder you twat! FFS!!
    were only a point behind Chelsea its not like they are flying high. We can ctach spuds if we beef up the squad. All yesterday did was confirm us out the league more or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merts I feel has got better and better and the centre of defence did little wrong yesterday!
    Their goal was somewhat fortuitous, and although the marking could have been better, that stuff is going to happen.
    Everybody knows that the squad is not complete and Wenger should go out a buy in Jan but we are not doing badly but that can also be said of our closest rivals.
    Last night was a set back and it kind of reminded me of the over elaborate style were playing last year, we needed to seal the game but didnt.

Saturday offers us a chance to get back on track, no doubt QPR will come with a plan it is our job to counter that. Its no time to rest RvP he is our caotain and needs to set the example. . .4th place out of reach. . ,.fuck off is it and nor is third. . .we still got to play the teams above us again and by winning we claw points back. . .can we do it? Will have to wait and see. . ..

One thing for sure I expect the team to beliwve they can. . .we are mentally stronger now, want to see us sjow we have the physical balls to match. . .

Over optimistic. . . its better than the tit that started this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking full of Chamakh View Post
    Merts I feel has got better and better and the centre of defence did little wrong yesterday!
    Their goal was somewhat fortuitous, and although the marking could have been better, that stuff is going to happen.
    Everybody knows that the squad is not complete and Wenger should go out a buy in Jan but we are not doing badly but that can also be said of our closest rivals.
    Last night was a set back and it kind of reminded me of the over elaborate style were playing last year, we needed to seal the game but didnt.

Saturday offers us a chance to get back on track, no doubt QPR will come with a plan it is our job to counter that. Its no time to rest RvP he is our caotain and needs to set the example. . .4th place out of reach. . ,.fuck off is it and nor is third. . .we still got to play the teams above us again and by winning we claw points back. . .can we do it? Will have to wait and see. . ..

One thing for sure I expect the team to beliwve they can. . .we are mentally stronger now, want to see us sjow we have the physical balls to match. . .

Over optimistic. . . its better than the tit that started this thread
    This, No point in thinking QPR are easy pickings only to drop more points. Lets hope Chamahk did not damage Rvp too bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamakh. . .cant fault his enthusiastism but he just have the ability to change a game. . .to be wholly fair few do with 5 mins here and there. . .

Arshavin is the one for me. . .he was better last night than against Villa. . .both players I would like to see do well. . .as by doing so the team benefits but even if they did for one game I can never believe that iy would be carried over onto the next game. . .when you consider the effort he puts in, I can never fathom the hate Gervs gets. . .a decision making nightmare and with a touch as heavy as a medicine ball bit come on he puts in a shift and keeps defences on their toes

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I think the battle for 4th place is between us, Chelsea & Liverpool. I think Chelsea are slight favourites at the moment if I'm honest with us second favourites and then Liverpool as the outsiders.

A lot depends on the January Window, we all know Chelsea will buy. Liverpool may buy too....
    We need to buy a finisher and a defensive midfielder if we're going to challenge for 4th otherwise we're no hopers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    We'll buy but we won't buy top players. We're competing against Chelsea for the rest of the season and we need top quality.

Arteta, Santos, Merts are not top quality - they wouldn't even get into Tottenham's team.
    Funny thing is that since we bought Arteta and Merts, we've done very well. Depends what you mean by 'top quality' and what you need in the team. At the start of the season we needed some experience and backbone. Wenger bought exactly that, and correctly, judging by the results. Clearly since the forwards other than RvP did not step up to the mark, we need that sorting out, but I'm sure Wenger knows that. The draw with Wolves was partly unlucky as their goal was caused by a deflection happening to go straight to one of their players. Shit happens. However, we are still not putting the chances away and I'd put top priority on a striker that can take the chances - if we put more chances away, the odd flukey goal would not matter. Holding onto 1-0 to the Arsenal is risky!