Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Our lack of quality in central midfield

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Creativity of our midfield is pretty poor. IMO of the regular three (Song-Ramsey-Arteta) Song is probably our best playmaker and that's saying a lot about the other two given that he's supposed to be the defensive minded player. Thankfully our AMs (Gervinho/Walcott etc) create enough but as they can't finish we really need the midfield to step up.

Arteta was an okay signing, decent if he was brought in alongside a 'star' midfield man (to replace someone like Diaby/Rosicky) but poor given that he was brought in by himself to play in CM (don't really consider Benayoun a central midfielder). He keeps things steady but rarely will change a game and is as someone said effectively a glorified Denilson (albeit a lot more hardworking). We'll win nothing with Arteta in midfield.

Although I can't wait for Wilshere to come back I think he's been overhyped in the extreme since being injured, his general play was usually exceptional for us but end product was poor. Ultimately think we need a star man in midfield as well as up front, and a signing to tide us over while the defensive injuries heal.
    Spot on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Yup. Me included.

What I wanted was more width and directness, rather than trying to walk the ball in.

To a degree we've got that, with a more stable midfield trio, capable of defending as a team too....

Problem we have, is that Gerv and Walcott are so woefully off form, and we have no fullbacks....so the whole width thing ain't looking as good, as it was earlier in the season....
    We did trial a 4-4-1-1 in the league cup a couple of times, i wondered if we might swap to that now. Play Arshavin just behind RvP (before we sell him)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Yup. Me included.

What I wanted was more width and directness, rather than trying to walk the ball in.

To a degree we've got that, with a more stable midfield trio, capable of defending as a team too....

Problem we have, is that Gerv and Walcott are so woefully off form, and we have no fullbacks....so the whole width thing ain't looking as good, as it was earlier in the season....

A change in system is fine but it would make more sense to me if we signed another defensive midfielder instead. Someone more mobile, physical and strong. In the same vein as Petit and Vieira. If we had two destroyers back there, we could afford to have an all out attacker midfielder playing further up the pitch and supporting the front three. Arteta has slotted into this current role, but I doubt it was the vision we originally had.
    Last edited by Power n Glory; 04-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh. We ain't gonna see eye to eye on it, so can't be arsed to carry on the debate.

Let's just hope wilshere ups the ante, because right now they all look fucking knackered to me.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.