User Tag List

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142
Results 1,411 to 1,419 of 1419

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    It's a fairly decent blatant rip of Alanis Morissette, isn't it?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on dude, so much quality out there. No need to hide in the basement. So, Holst - the Planets. beginners ground for all comers.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Come on dude, so much quality out there. No need to hide in the basement. So, Holst - the Planets. beginners ground for all comers.
    Gustav Hoist’s Jupiter was appropriated to make the patriotic lip trembler “I vow to thee my country” which was played at my mother’s funeral

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Gustav Hoist’s Jupiter was appropriated to make the patriotic lip trembler “I vow to thee my country” which was played at my mother’s funeral
    My daughter is studying music and she's teaching me. It's an amazing subject, easily as expansive as any science and just as fundamental to the human experience. And we don't know as much about it as we think. I also listen to music, but that's entirely different.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    My daughter is studying music and she's teaching me. It's an amazing subject, easily as expansive as any science and just as fundamental to the human experience. And we don't know as much about it as we think. I also listen to music, but that's entirely different.
    I only understand music on a very aesthetic level. I lack the ability to read music let alone the ability to create my own.

Art and Music are the earliest forms of human endeavour in terms of creative expression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to be able to read music to create your own, that's its own specific skill which is probably more useful for playing somebody else's music.

For creating your own stuff you probably need to know the basics of how chords and keys work though.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    You don't need to be able to read music to create your own, that's its own specific skill which is probably more useful for playing somebody else's music.

For creating your own stuff you probably need to know the basics of how chords and keys work though.

Well you’ve just proved my point by demonstrating that I don’t even know that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I only understand music on a very aesthetic level. I lack the ability to read music let alone the ability to create my own.

Art and Music are the earliest forms of human endeavour in terms of creative expression.
    Fuck, she gives me music sheets that look like an alien language, let alone a foreign one. And then she belts it out on the piano. But I can tell the difference between a performance and a play-through. When a performance is happening then biological reactions start happening in your body. There's a science to this, except it's a million miles from my comprehension and I might just go back to college to study it. Because it could be something that actually makes people on two banks of a very wide river think, you know what...?

The Mongolians. Did you know they created musical patterns and forms (can't recall the technical terms) that were never imitated or replicated elsewhere, in all of human history? Fucking Mongolians, right? Well, they have much to teach us. And when you hear that shit, your blood froths up. Actually sounds like the finished item compared to what the modern day rap artists are miserably failing at. All done before. And done better.

Did you know how exciting Parisian opera is? Neither did I. Yeah, the music is great, but the history behind it is extremely informative. I have a lot of, "So that's why...", moments listening to the lectures. Kinda getting a free education, well I say "free". But the bills arrive. Nothing like watching a child get educated by people who give a fuck about education. It's a wonderful thing. Could be right, could be wrong, but it makes you think and if you can do that then you have won the race.

Anyway, it's fascinating.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post

WRONG!

ISH.

You need to understand music to make meaningful music. Music is not just a bunch of sound rammed together, like modern "art".

Fine - everyone is entitled to enjoy what they enjoy, no problem there. ENTERTAINMENT is in the eye of the beholder.

But music is a very refined art form. Millenia in the making. People who ram sounds together and say it is music are entitled to their opinion. But actual music has a deep expertise behind it.

Maybe it's the terminology that is confusing. "Music" is an art and a science. The top 100 chart is filled with noise that people often call music. It's like art. I can shit on a canvas and claim anything at all. And plenty of people will call it art. But then there's actual art. It's not up to the self-entitled to define the significance of the centuries of endeavour made by discipline and creative people.
    Für eure Sicherheit