User Tag List

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Arshavin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arse n Wonga View Post
    The board don't seem to recognise his failings which is the important point here. They don't give a toss what the fans think and as long as the stadium is full have no motivation to change anything, sentiment is one thing but if it doesn't translate to lost ticket sales or income it has no relevance to our board.
    Ahhh hah, the Board ****s. Now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

These are the fuckers that set the manager his targets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringBoringArsenal View Post
    Ahhh hah, the Board ****s. Now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

These are the fuckers that set the manager his targets.
    The Board are a problem but the targets they set shouldn't limit Wenger. I'm sure the Board at Unite don't have to tell Fergie that he should be aiming for more CL cups and Prem titles.

Where is Wenger's sporting ambition? You see it with other managers and even in other sports where they won't settle for second best. Just look at that bastard Vettel as an example.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vettel is a legend tbh

Did the right thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    The Board are a problem but the targets they set shouldn't limit Wenger. I'm sure the Board at Unite don't have to tell Fergie that he should be aiming for more CL cups and Prem titles.

Where is Wenger's sporting ambition? You see it with other managers and even in other sports where they won't settle for second best. Just look at that bastard Vettel as an example.
    I don't think he does settle for second best.

I think he wants to be the best, but for some reason known only to himself, he is trying to be the best with second best rated players.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post

I think he wants to be the best, but for some reason known only to himself, he is trying to be the best with second best rated players.
    I agree to an extent and he’s going to have to be honest with himself. Most people want to be the best at what they do but can hide behind reasons or make excuses for themselves if they’re not. I just think he hasn’t got it any more. If he still had the edge we’d have at least won some domestic trophies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post

Aye. It's complete balls to suggest that someone who has achieved all Wenger has is now suddenly not bothered about success.
    Whether he's too principled or just unable to compete with all the money being thrown around, who knows. Maybe little bit both.
    He's obviously bothered.

The board seem content to settle for perennial top 4 finishes though, if they weren't Wenger would have been sacked long ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, but if your bosses are happy with your output, and pat you on the back at the end of every profit making financial year, then who the hell can tell you that what you are doing isn't great? You have to remember who Wenger is really answerable to at the end of the day.

I honestly believe that he's given a tight budget to work with, and said budget only comes after major asset stripping. It has always been the Arsenal way. Even in our most successful era, this was how it was. An example is the sale of Anelka and the subsequent purchase of Henry. Now that worked well and we all hailed Wenger as a genius. Thing is, inevitably, others soon caught on and found ways to better what we were doing, especially when the arrogance and complacency started to seep in - a bit similar to the smartphone industry a la Blackberry and Apple/Android situation.

As for SAF, he really has no alternative but to reap on field success, because as heavily indebted as the mancs are, he's still given funds to work with in the transfer market without having to 1st strip down his team. The manc **** Board ensure that money is invested in the squad for the purpose of strengthening.
    Last edited by Özil's Panoramic View; 12-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringBoringArsenal View Post
    It has always been the Arsenal way. Even in our most successful era, this was how it was. An example is the sale of Anelka and the subsequent purchase of Henry.
    Anelka wanted to leave (we didn't want to sell him), he made a big fuss (him and his brother) to force a move and we were left with little choice, especially when Madrid offered big money as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arse n Wonga View Post
    Anelka wanted to leave (we didn't want to sell him), he made a big fuss (him and his brother) to force a move and we were left with little choice, especially when Madrid offered big money as well.
    That a bit beside the point. What I'm trying to say is we made bank off him, bought Henry for peanuts and went on to achieve greatness.

We are stil trying to replicate these type of dealings and fortune to this very day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Aye. It's complete balls to suggest that someone who has achieved all Wenger has is now suddenly not bothered about success.
    He'd like to win in an ideal world but it's not the be all and end all, just listen to him talking about 4th place and his lack of emphasis on the cups.

In the old days he use to talk about competing for 4 trophies (when there were more games), now he just talks about 2 and watches his side fail every season without ever really addressing the problems.

A man really that concerned about winning wouldn't be telling us he's doing a good job getting 4th when he's won nothing since 2005.