User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Arsene to "rise above" fan nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    Under Vinegar, we are not going to win anything.. might get back to playing a better version of the tippy tappy bollocks but even thats not going to bring the fans back..
    Thats why we had high numbers a couple of seasons ago, people are happy to see us play beautiful football, its only a few fans who despreately wanted a trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Gooner View Post
    Thats why we had high numbers a couple of seasons ago, people are happy to see us play beautiful football, its only a few fans who despreately wanted a trophy.
    Nah.

Peoepl carried on coming along, a) because you could see the potential in the team and b) because people trusted in Wenger and his "Nose"
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Nah.

Peoepl carried on coming along, a) because you could see the potential in the team and b) because people trusted in Wenger and his "Nose"
    Maybe, but from Phone in's variours forums, talking to mates who had season tickets, it seems people went because we played te best footie and it was worth the ticket etc.

Its only recently that gooners have been desperate for us to win a trophy because 4 years ago who wanted us to win the cc, now we all want to.

I agree with point b though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best football? That's a fallacy, we haven't been one of the best footballing teams for years....people still harp on about our great football but in reality it's really not that good, it's predictable, ineffective and not direct enough and often ends in us wasting chances of creating goals (or missing them of course).

I cringe when I hear people say we play the best football, have they actually watched us in the last few years? Pre 2005 we were fantastic, but it's been downhill from then on and we're not in the least bit entertaining most of the time these days. Unfortunately Wenger still lives in this little bubble where he thinks he's entertaining everyone and giving them value for money.

There's nothing entertaining about watching a largely brainless bunch overpassing the ball and picking the wrong option time and time again, nor it is entertaining to watch a defence so prone to errors.
    Last edited by Özim; 08-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Best football? That's a fallacy, we haven't been one of the best footballing teams for years....people still harp on about our great football but in reality it's really not that good, it's predictable, ineffective and not direct enough and often ends in us wasting chances of creating goals (or missing them of course).

I cringe when I hear people say we play the best football, have they actually watched us in the last few years? Pre 2005 we were fantastic, but it's been downhill from then on and we're not in the least bit entertaining most of the time these days. Unfortunately Wenger still lives in this little bubble where he thinks he's entertaining everyone and giving them value for money.

There's nothing entertaining about watching a largely brainless bunch overpassing the ball and picking the wrong option time and time again, nor it is entertaining to watch a defence so prone to errors.
    I think what Charlie means, is that people were going along post-2005 because of what Wenger had done with the side for the previous 8 years.

i.e they'd been wined and dined on Henry, Bergkamp etc, and naturally assumed the teams would on producing football of that standard.

Tourists came to see the new stadium, and what all the fuss was about....and because many people were unable to get tickets at Highbury, demand was so high.

The drop off has happened in the last couple of years, mainly because:

i) Ticket prices - People can't afford it during a recession, especially with a 6% hike
    ii) Our unfailing ability to seem like we're going places, top of league, in four comps....and bang, we implode

People were still going before that because:

i) Fabregas, RVP, Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri to name a few. Big name players, in a big shiny stadium, at a big club
    ii) The football, is better than you see at most grounds in the country (Though I agree with you, tippy tappy was boring...prefer the cut and thrust and pace which we have a bit more of now). But to the neutral, or to kids, to families etc, it was still entertaining.

And the people that still go, are not mugs. They go because they support the team through thick and thin
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    I think what Charlie means, is that people were going along post-2005 because of what Wenger had done with the side for the previous 8 years.

i.e they'd been wined and dined on Henry, Bergkamp etc, and naturally assumed the teams would on producing football of that standard.

Tourists came to see the new stadium, and what all the fuss was about....and because many people were unable to get tickets at Highbury, demand was so high.

The drop off has happened in the last couple of years, mainly because:

i) Ticket prices - People can't afford it during a recession, especially with a 6% hike
    ii) Our unfailing ability to seem like we're going places, top of league, in four comps....and bang, we implode

People were still going before that because:

i) Fabregas, RVP, Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri to name a few. Big name players, in a big shiny stadium, at a big club
    ii) The football, is better than you see at most grounds in the country (Though I agree with you, tippy tappy was boring...prefer the cut and thrust and pace which we have a bit more of now). But to the neutral, or to kids, to families etc, it was still entertaining.

And the people that still go, are not mugs. They go because they support the team through thick and thin
    This, yep you got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Best football? That's a fallacy, we haven't been one of the best footballing teams for years....people still harp on about our great football but in reality it's really not that good, it's predictable, ineffective and not direct enough and often ends in us wasting chances of creating goals (or missing them of course).I cringe when I hear people say we play the best football, have they actually watched us in the last few years? Pre 2005 we were fantastic, but it's been downhill from then on and we're not in the least bit entertaining most of the time these days. Unfortunately Wenger still lives in this little bubble where he thinks he's entertaining everyone and giving them value for money.

Im like you, i prefer the fast attacking counter stuff we used to play, id love how we'd be in one box to another in a short time, so like PNG said in another thread, we should go back to that Philsophy.

Others however seem to think we were the best ticket in town 18 months ago, it was all "if i could want any team it would be Arsenal". Even Barca players said we were the next best team to them tbh.