Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Capello resigns.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPeck View Post
    I think our players do underperform. The pressure thing is the media being twats - I'm not sure how much pressure is put on players from other countries by their own media - are they really as savage as our press? But a manager like Redknapp (and El Tel and Robson) is the kind to be able to help players deal with that shit.

I'm not sure our record in knockouts is 'horrendous' compared to most other countries. We've got to semis under English managers - while we might have screwed up at the last, I would not say it was horrendous. Robson (English) and Venables (English) lost in semi-finals on penalties to the eventual winners. While that was painful for English supporters, that is hardly horrendous. Under Erikson, when we got knocked out, it was because we played uninspired shit - he was no motivator. There were stories coming out of the England camp after the defeat against Brazil about Erikson's half-time talk which apparently was a non-entity. I think 'arry would do better than that. He does know how to talk to English players - GHELs if you like - and that motivational leadership is what I think has been missing from our performances in tournament finals. I've thought that for years - decades - and have never approved of having non-English managers for an English team. Teams are supposed to represent their countries and the manager is part of that team. Once we water down the idea by having non-English components, then we are heading away from the idea of internationals.
    A list of teams England have beaten in knockout ties since 1990 in the Euros and World Cup:

1990: Belgium (aet), Cameroon (aet)

1992: N/A (didn't win a game in the group stages)

1994: didn't qualify.

1996: Spain (on pelanties)

1998: N/A (went out to Argentina on pelanties in the last 16).

2000: Went out in the group stages.

2002: Denmark.

2004: N/A (went out to Portugal on pelanties in the QF's)

2006: Ecuador.

2008: didn't qualify

2010: N/A (went out to Germany in the last 16).

I don't think the nationality of the manager is going to make a huge amount of difference, unless, unless the next manager is prepared to say to those that have failed time and again, their time is up. Passion isn't going to get you that far, it doesn't in the Champions League, it won't in the international tournaments. Also, 'Arry had admitted he doesn't particularly have much time for tactics rs- that's just not an approach that can work against much higher quality opponents in international tournaments. For example Maradona is as passionate as it gets and is absolutely beloved in Argentina but he didn't have a clue internationally. No team ever wins the major tournaments anymore unless they have a coach that has a tactical brain and players with heightened technique; in English coaches and players, that has generally been lacking.

It's probably a consquence of the Premier League that it has become this way, the necessity of trying to play at 100mph doesn't allow technique to be the most important facet developed in English players (historically anyway). And that is why I say the next manager/coach needs to bring in a totally new side of the players that do have technical ability, otherwise this cycle of international dissapointment is bound to continue. Germany decided to start again after 2000 with a new approach and granted they haven't won anything yet but they are bearing the fruits of that change now, it should've been done years ago with England when it became clear the same old, same old was nowhere near enough.

And the press in Italy, Spain and Brazil is as savage as anywhere. In Italy probably even moreso than England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said in another thread - we'll just have to see. Anyway, one thing I want is an English manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree about ripping everything up and starting again. The "golden generation" should have been done away with a long time ago. Another point about them is that I genuinely think they don't enjoy playing for England - so fuck 'em I say. Bring the young guys in and build from there. Wilshere had a place nailed down last year so I think the transition is underway.

I'm also hoping Oxlade is taken to the Euros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the manager should be English but not 'English' English. My kind of English. i.e. not necessarily English at all. Mourinho is English. He had built (sorry, bought) a title-winning side managing good, honest lads. Steve McClaren is arguably the most qualified English English candidate but he is not English. English is not a nationality, it's a philosophy. Maradona is as English as they get...and honestly, I wouldn't mind if he became England manager. It would be a good laugh. And isn't that all we're after in life? A good laugh? I rest my face.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Agree about ripping everything up and starting again. The "golden generation" should have been done away with a long time ago. Another point about them is that I genuinely think they don't enjoy playing for England - so fuck 'em I say. Bring the young guys in and build from there. Wilshere had a place nailed down last year so I think the transition is underway.

I'm also hoping Oxlade is taken to the Euros.
    All that was under Capello....

Bring Harry in and the likes of Lampard, Rio and J Cole would never be dropped.

They are his West Ham lads. And in the Lumps case, his nephew.

We wont have anyone new under Harry.

Hiddink, Hiddink
    Hes our man
    If he cant do it
    No one can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    All that was under Capello....

Bring Harry in and the likes of Lampard, Rio and J Cole would never be dropped.

They are his West Ham lads. And in the Lumps case, his nephew.

We wont have anyone new under Harry.

Hiddink, Hiddink
    Hes our man
    If he cant do it
    No one can
    Not to mention we'd have to put up with a load of spud players in the team too. Theo will never get a shot over lennon with arry in charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Gooner View Post
    Not to mention we'd have to put up with a load of spud players in the team too. Theo will never get a shot over lennon with arry in charge.
    Theo would never get a shot at the Arsenal with GW in charge.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry Redknapp would try to entice Paul Scholes, 37, out of international retirement if he were to land the England job.
    Full story: The Guardian
    Told you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scholes is still better than every England midfielder bar Wilshere, so it would actually be a good decision on Crooknapp's part.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same Scholes that cried like a bitch cos he was shite in the middle for England for years and didnt score for 3 years i think and cos of that, he was moved to the left during Euro 2004 to accomodate the lump and Stevie Me and ironically enough, he scored his first goal in ages for England playing on the left during that tournament but then retired cos he couldnt handle the competition and has been a bit shit for Mancs ever since?