User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: This Weekend's Fixtures (25/26 Feb).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Shotton still have that built-in towel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in their academy must be an experience. Kicked into touch if you have a first touch. Targets marked out for the long throw trials. There must be more graduates where Shotton came from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Towel Vest is the future.

You won't be laughing when it's as vital to us as shoes, mobile phones, iPads and remote control watches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't listening to commentary yesterday but looking at the highlights now it appears Sky have moved ratboy from the studio to commentary? That's a ridiculous move. He just doesn't have the flair required. He might say the right things but that's not enough. A good commentator has a good voice and a charismatic style. A whiny, northern, ratty voice just doesn't work. I'm all for equal opportunities within reason. Young people - under 25? Sure, if they're good enough they're old enough. Women? Yeah, give them a go even if it doesn't sound 'right' at first. Northern rats? No.

There should be a version of X Factor where potential commentators audition. Just put them through a series of weird incidents and see what they come out with.

But yeah, ratboy can fuck off. Or stay in the studio where I don't have to listen to him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neville is an awesome pundit tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only watched the highlights and spotted a few mistakes. "Arsenal have come back from 2 goals down and are now 3 up"...at that point it was 1 up. And some of the classic Sky Sports cringeworthy nonsense "it's a wand, his left foot". But I don't really have much problem with what he says. Leave him in the studio and people who don't want to watch the build-up won't have to listen to him. But his voice just isn't suited to commentary. You need a good, deep voice. Ray Wilkins is an idiot but he has a good voice. You need some middle ground - the voice of Wilkins but the content of Neville/Redknapp

But I don't understand why ex-footballers seem to get these roles. It doesn't happen as much in other countries, as far as I know. Marcotti isn't an ex-footballer but would be a good pundit/commentator for Sky. As I say, open up the selection pool to nobodies, put them through a series of exercises - pick the best one and I guarantee he'll (sexist) be a great commentator.
    Last edited by Syn; 27-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    I wasn't listening to commentary yesterday but looking at the highlights now it appears Sky have moved ratboy from the studio to commentary? That's a ridiculous move. He just doesn't have the flair required. He might say the right things but that's not enough. A good commentator has a good voice and a charismatic style. A whiny, northern, ratty voice just doesn't work. I'm all for equal opportunities within reason. Young people - under 25? Sure, if they're good enough they're old enough. Women? Yeah, give them a go even if it doesn't sound 'right' at first. Northern rats? No.

There should be a version of X Factor where potential commentators audition. Just put them through a series of weird incidents and see what they come out with.

But yeah, ratboy can fuck off. Or stay in the studio where I don't have to listen to him.
    He's got the full time Andy Gray role, doing both co-commentary and punditry depending on the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)