If anyone can show me an argument against it that isn't based on dogmatic bigotry, I will give you my piano, one of my legs and my wife. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-...1__CK12_14_15_
The government's plans for gay marriage have been criticised by the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in Britain.Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland, said the plans were a "grotesque subversion of a universally accepted human right".He said the idea of redefining marriage, which David Cameron has said he supports, would "shame the United Kingdom in the eyes of the world".He said it was wrong to deliberately deprive a child of a mother or father.Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Cardinal O'Brien said: "Same-sex marriage would eliminate entirely in law the basic idea of a mother and a father for every child. It would create a society which deliberately chooses to deprive a child of either a mother or a father."Cardinal O'Brien has become the latest of several senior clergy to denounce what he calls the "madness" of the government's backing for marriage to include homosexual couples.He accuses ministers of attempting to "redefine reality", and "dismantle the universally understood meaning of marriage".He claimed the change was "at the behest of a small minority of activists".In January the Anglican Archbishop of York, John Sentamu, also insisted governments did not have the moral authority to redefine marriage.Mr Cameron publicly supported gay marriage at last year's Conservative Party conference, and the Home Office said last week the government believed a loving and committed couple should "have the option of a civil marriage irrespective of their sexual orientation".Equalities minister Lynne Featherstone is to launch a consultation on the plans later this month.The Scottish government has already begun a consultation process north of the border and has received more than 50,000 responses.Many church leaders believe gay marriage would represent a further significant step in marginalising traditional religious values in society.Earlier this week Conservative MP Peter Bone called the gay marriage plan "completely nuts".