User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defending!

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The defending was ok, it wasn't brilliant but it was enough to seal the win.

Would've been a totally different result if the defending was as bad as some people think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think we defended that badly. Liverpool had what, 12 corners? Never looked like scoring ™.
    They did get through midfield too easily but I thought we dealt with crosses reasonably well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    The defending was ok, it wasn't brilliant but it was enough to seal the win.

Would've been a totally different result if the defending was as bad as some people think.
    Of if they'd not hit the post twice, and missed an open goal, socred their pen etc....
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I didn't think we defended that badly. Liverpool had what, 12 corners? Never looked like scoring ™.
    They did get through midfield too easily but I thought we dealt with crosses reasonably well.
    Yeh that was something I noticed too.

They had 13 corners and we dealt with them all. Two seasons ago we would have been shitting ourselves every time the ball went out for a corner.

The defending was ok. Agree, it was the midfield that made us look shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Of if they'd not hit the post twice, and missed an open goal, socred their pen etc....
    True, but they had numerous chances that we stopped from happening too.

Then there was the corners that we dealt with and the crosses from the wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    True, but they had numerous chances that we stopped from happening too.

Then there was the corners that we dealt with and the crosses from the wings.
    Yeah one of those crosses was dealt with brilliantly

I see what you're getting at from the corners etc, but in all fairness, if it wasn't for Liverpool not taking the chances, we would be talking about losing by two or three.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Van Persie, we dont need a defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool moved the ball from attack to defence exceptionally quickly. Hard to defend that, especially when your fullbacks don't have any time to recover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    Liverpool moved the ball from attack to defence exceptionally quickly.
    Hoof Ball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They moved the ball from attack to defence? King Kenny's anti-football

Really I don't think this was our worst defensive performance of the season, but if Liverpool had been more clinical with their finishing and/or their final pass we would be looking at a hefty defeat.

Someone in the midfield has to cover when our fullbacks go forward. Arteta nominally has the left, Song the right. I don't think either of them had great games, and the goal came about because Arteta didn't cover Gibbs run forward.

Song gets typecast as the midfield enforcer because he is the biggest and most African of our midfield. And frankly we have no-one else right now who fits more naturally into that role. Frimpy was loaned and then knacked. And The Coq pulled up lame. Diaby?

But Song is unused to playing a disciplined defensive role, plus in that position you lose some of the attacking things he does (most successful through balls in the Premiership? Did I hear that stat somewhere?).

The game that sticks in my mind though, is the home game against Dortmund. First half they were killing us. Second half Song plonked himself centrally and sat. After that I think the only pass Song made in the final third was his crazy dribble and far post cross for Rvp. BVB were nullified and we ran out winners.

As a blueprint for the bigger games, against teams that actually come at us, we need to look at that.