User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you swap third or fourth in the league for a domestic cup double?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 52.00%
  • No.

12 48.00%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd/4th vs A domestic cup double

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I don't think it's too unlikely for them, given their ability to raise it for the big games.
    We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what Maccy says anyway about cup wins being more for the supporters, that buzz is not replicated by anything else for me. Of course for the players and in particular the club, CL is the ultimate priority and I'm sure the men in suits at Liverpool are disappointed they won't be in it next season, even more so given their outlay on players.

I guess the CL has become a necessary evil now, given the money involved and attitudes of the modern day player. Ultimatley I want whats best for Arsenal Football club and that means being in the CL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    Well for a start, it’s worth noting we’re comparing something that is very, very likely to happen for us vs. something that is unlikely to happen for them.

I can’t take these sorts of comparisons seriously, in any case. I don’t see how you can just compare the season in isolation without considering the future or the overall picture. Finishing 7th and winning the FA Cup (and the Carling Cup) doesn’t particularly help our finances or the ability to keep/attract good players. Whether we like to admit it or not, 3rd and setting us up with guaranteed CL football is a major financial advantage which allows us to put big money wage offers on the table for Van Persie or Podolski or whoever. Would Nasri have stayed if we won the Carling Cup last season? No chance in hell. Things like that don’t make much difference. If it's a springboard for future success in the league and in Europe (which we were hoping a Carling Cup win last year would've been) then great. But when all is said and done, money motivates people.

I've quite enjoyed this season. Those extra 10 or so matches where we’ve won (including the thrills of recent late wins and comebacks or Henry winners etc.) - I think many of us have gone into work on Monday morning fairly happy and enjoyed discussing it with others. The high of winning a domestic cup competition would definitely top any of those single events, but does it top all 10 of them combined? Not for me. If Liverpool fans are happy watching re-runs of the penalty shootout against Cardiff, fair enough. Would I want us to swap places with them? No chance in hell. I wouldn’t have swapped seasons with Birmingham last year either. The future looks relatively good for Arsenal and pretty dismal for Liverpool. The league is always the best measure of the quality of a team.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Atm i'd say cups but when next season comes around and we arent in the CL after so many years being in it, i'd miss it
    That is actually a very good point.

I didn't realise how much I missed the CL until a few weeks ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't swap our season so far with Liverpool's so far.

If they win the FA Cup too then I probably would. It'll be very like our 92/93 season which was a pretty crap, boring season till the last month or so when we went and won 2 cups. Had the finals (or even just the FA Cup one) gone the other way the whole season would have been rubbish. Fine lines. I have very fond memories of the end of that season but I also remember what preceded it.

It has to be remembered that when we did the cup double the league cup had more prestige. It has always been the FA Cup's poorer relation but clubs didn't put reserve sides out for it, it would have been nice to win it last year and we should have but it's hardly open top bus material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cup double would be a good achievement by Liverpool. Winning two finals is no mean feat, and the FA Cup is a prestigious trophy. But it'd be tempered. Being that far off the pace in the league is simply not healthy in any respect. That's a team as close to 3rd as to 17th. It isn't just financial - although clearly that is central - but you would have a hard time justifying optimism for the future after that. More chance of meandering than progressing. There would be calls all round for billionaire investment to bridge the gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a.one off, Cup double no question. You don't get anything for 4th and in 20 years who Will remember anything from season 2009/10 say?

Bar the invincible & 98, my favourite ever season was 1993 - enjoyed as much as 89, 91 & 02 when we won.

Wembley 4 times in a month, 5 in 3 months and 3 trophies.

No idea if we came 3rd, 6th or 15th in the league that year. For that year, who really cares?
    Last edited by Gubby Allen; 25-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubby Allen View Post
    As a.one off, Cup double no question. You don't get anything for 4th and in 20 years who Will remember anything from season 2009/10 say?

Bar the invincible & 98, my favourite ever season was 1993 - enjoyed as much as 89, 91 & 04 when we won.

Wembley 4 times in a month, 5 in 3 months and 3 trophies.

No idea if we came 3rd, 6th or 15th in the league that year. For that year, who really cares?
    That is a good point. Ive supported Arsenal since 1990 and can name where we finished in the league each season from then til now bar 2 seasons. The 2 being 92/93 and 93/94 and in those seasons, the league played 2nd fiddle to the cups as we won 3 of them.

However its a different era these days. Whilst we have next to no chance in the CL and will lose to the first decent team we face as this season, last season, and the one before and so on has proved, id miss it terribly if we arent in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so many variables to this, if Liverpool win both cups and I think they might, then I'd swap that.I'd happily sacrifice a year coming 8th, but it has to be with a purpose, be it young players who'll benefit, players rested for the league. There's not that with Liverpool, they look like they're going backwards rather than progressing.Much of the answer to this depends on what you then do the following season.. With these players they won't be.much better even with 2 cups.