User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Years Of The Premier League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketsi View Post
    Terry? The fuck is wrong with you? I'd say the same about Neville as well, but lots of "experts" seem to rate the rat faced ****.
    Ha. Terry is insanely good whether you hate him or not. One of the best prem defenders, so utterly consistent. Same with Neville.

If I had to change it I'd put Scholes with Vieira as "footballistically" that would work better, but Vieira and Keane together would just be jokes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All bias aside (and, well, I don't even like him really) Sol was the very best in an era (this era) when protection that the back four was getting was weakening. Technically an outstanding defender - didn't have a weakness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    All bias aside (and, well, I don't even like him really) Sol was the very best in an era (this era) when protection that the back four was getting was weakening. Technically an outstanding defender - didn't have a weakness.
    His only weakness was that he was gay.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Man is all about last ditch defending/throwing his body around (so to speak), I've always thought he was a weaker defender than Carvalho. And anyway, if he was in my team, I wouldn't be the one picking the best Prem team: it would quickl have Dids, Lampsy and Ash in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Rooneys goal was brilliant. A proper overhead kick from a cross without controlling.

Can see why it won.

When are others announced?
    So the competition was really about the most spectacular goal. The best goals are team goals. We scored a few in the last 20 years, goals that were so much more than hit and hope for the best. Surprised that Newcastle goal didn't win it. Memories are that short and so focused on the next dollar.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    Had a major glaring weakness, he played for the spuds.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    So the competition was really about the most spectacular goal. The best goals are team goals. We scored a few in the last 20 years, goals that were so much more than hit and hope for the best. Surprised that Newcastle goal didn't win it. Memories are that short and so focused on the next dollar.
    I think Cole's goal vs Villa in 04/05 is horribly underrated. Insanely good team work and the finish to match.

We scored some brilliant goals in the 7-0 win over Everton that season as well, Bergkamp was picking ridiculous passes out.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 04-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody 'ell, yeah, Cole v Villa was a good'un.

As was Vieira v Liverpool in the same season. Vieira to Henry, to Pires, back to Vieira, GOAL (in a game that is more often remembered for Xabi Alonso and Neil Mellor)

There was a game against Reading in 05/06, at the Madjeski, where I think we got through a ridiculous number of passes before RvP coollly scored the opening goal of the match. We went on to maul them 0-4.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVP's goal made it 0-3, Henry scored the opener, cutback from Cesc barely a minute in to the game. And it was 06/07.

Very good goal though, in spite of the pedantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No hit-and-hope's deserve a place. Cisse's goal the other day was a pub effort. Rooney's overhead was pretty good - requires tekkers. I'm a fan of most volleys actually.

Piledrivers from 94 yards out, fuck off. You can catch them in the village leagues every week.

The best type of goals are indeed team efforts like clockwork. The ones that finish with a cutback are particularly good.

The prettiest football played in England recently was in the 04/05 season. The invincible season was too machine-like for my tastes. There was no human element to it.