User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If DiMatteo Wins The Champions League (and FA Cup maybe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If DiMatteo Wins The Champions League (and FA Cup maybe)

and if you want to extend it maybe 1st or 2nd in the league next year - would it still be a requirement that the next Arsenal manager must have a proven track record?

I know RDM is working at a club where considerably more money has been ploughed in, but on the flip side much of the side are fiarly average players or within a decent price eg Sturridge, Cahill, Kalou, Mereiles, Mikel etc.

His experience in management has consisted mainy of failing at West Brom compare that to two of our ex player examples.

Tony Adams - His only previous experience is also failing once at a PL club.

Brian McDermott - His record absolutely slaughters DiMatteo's a considerably better job at Reading than RDM at WBA. Yet if you proposed either of those say as next Arsenal manager, they'd probably be 100/1 shots and laughed off.

It doesn't have to be ex players. It would suggest that maybe Martinez, or possibly Rogers could do as decent a job at this level if DiMatteo can do it and AVB not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Di Matteo has little to do with Chelsea's success. All he's done is tell Big Man, Honest Frank and Drogsy they can play every week again.

That makes them happy.

They start playing well again.

No brainer.

To answer the question, no I don't think it's essential for our next manager to have a glittering CV. It's about finding a guy with the right philosophy and outlook.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 28-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Di Matteo has little to do with Chelsea's success.
    Exactly. He'll get no credit from me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done a great job

Would take him here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimandi's Perm View Post
    Exactly. He'll get no credit from me.
    Too fecking right.

Id take AVB though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Mourinho Batteries are almost out of power with that core of chelsea players, who are doing some kind of terminator last ditch, never gonna die, late push for glory. which is why it is such a shame their old mentor could not be the one to kill them off in the final, with a dark ironic twist of the knife.

rdm has done a good job in keeping the squad happy so far but he would only earn his respect from building a successful team from the ashes of the current one, which is no mean feat with financial fair play round the corner. saying that, the signing of marko marin is a smart move, who will link up very well with mata.

like liverpool this season, winning trophies is great although their decline in standards in the prem shows big cause for concern as the real barometer of where the team stands at the moment.

half a season doesn't dictate whether a manager is or isn't up to the job in a particular country - avb knew what he was getting himself into but still can't help the fact his boss is so fickle.
    Last edited by Kano; 29-04-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Gooner View Post
    Too fecking right.

Id take AVB though.
    Strange, as far as I could see he did a terrible job at Chelsea...then Di Matteo came in and sorted it out.

As far as I can see he's got the team spirit back at Chelsea and has made them half decent again, no mean feat considering how sh*t they were un Villas-Boas.
    Last edited by Özim; 29-04-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Done a great job

Would take him here
    Yup agree with this, managed to get WBA promoted as well so he's not totally unproven.

As far as getting no credit from some people, I'm sure he'll be very upset
    Last edited by Özim; 29-04-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Strange, as far as I could see he did a terrible job at Chelsea...then Di Matteo came in and sorted it out.

As far as I can see he's got the team spirit back at Chelsea and has made them half decent again, no mean feat considering how sh*t they were un Villas-Boas.
    Another way of looking at it, is that the end was near for the nucleus of the team. AVB was brought in with the remit to sort it out. The senior boys didn't like it and by extension didn't like AVB. They did everything in their power to undermine him. Everyone knows RDM is a temp, so the senior boys decided to stop sulking because RDM is handing them everything they want on a plate, letting the head boys call the shots. Their relative success of the past few weeks won't last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    Another way of looking at it, is that the end was near for the nucleus of the team. AVB was brought in with the remit to sort it out. The senior boys didn't like it and by extension didn't like AVB. They did everything in their power to undermine him. Everyone knows RDM is a temp, so the senior boys decided to stop sulking because RDM is handing them everything they want on a plate, letting the head boys call the shots. Their relative success of the past few weeks won't last.
    Pure speculation, but regardless of this it's a manager's job to get players doing what they are suppose to, if he can't manage/handle his players and gain their respect then he's doing something wrong.

It's a results business at the end of the day and if a manager isn't getting the results he's doing a bad job.