Page 272 of 435 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 4346

Thread: The Film Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Anyone tried actually watching Birdman? I mean yeah, it ticks all the Oscar boxes no doubt. But as a piece of entertainment? Maybe if you are on hallucinogens. So what's the criteria for best picture? Most luvvies packed into a confined space?

Boyhood - didn't see it.

Grand Budapest Hotel. I have been avoiding this one, not sure why. Maybe unfair but it's not something I feel compelled to watch.
    Birdman was a very good film IMO. Maybe wasn't as gripping as others but at least it was unique. Ed Norton's character was great. Boyhood is only spectacular if you appreciate how ambitious the project was.

Grand Budapest Hotel is fantastic. You should definitely try watching that. Personally thought Nightcrawler deserved to be a contender too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Really?! It was a show about this kid, Doogie Howser, who was also a doctor.
    That was pretty much it, as a premise.
    Neil Patrick Harris played the title role.
    Okay, absolutely none the wiser but thanks.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Budapest Hotel is fantastic. You should definitely try watching that. Personally thought Nightcrawler deserved to be a contender too.
    A weekend watch for that one then. Everyone has said it's good, maybe that's what put me off. Sometimes it is better to watch these films a year later.

Watched Marvellous starring Toby Jones. No idea why I watched it, hadn't heard of it, expected nothing but it was excellent. Not a big Hollywood rigmarole, a BBC TV job. If you can get past a fairly dodgy opening there are plenty of rewards later on. Bit of a cross between Being There and Rain Man and the football tie in was an eye opener. Believe it or not, it could make you take a different view of Stoke City.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American Sniper - 9/10 Chris Kyle US Navy 'Murica GOAT country.

Dumb and Dumber To - 8/10 Good laugh.

Exodus: Gods and Kings - 7/10 Solid film. I do like Ancient Egypt and the Bible is a goldmine for sci-fi. God is a sadistic cunt. A note on the controversy I had no problem with white Egyptians. Why is it we're supposed to accept a black Annie yet casting whites in supposed brown roles is wrong?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem with Exodus is it wasn't Biblical, it was based on the account in Exodus but very loosely.
    Whatever you believe about it, it's a remarkable enough story as written, it doesn't need elaboration or Hollywoodizing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A note on the controversy I had no problem with white Egyptians. Why is it we're supposed to accept a black Annie yet casting whites in supposed brown roles is wrong?
    Hence the 9/10 for American Sniper I guess.

Don't know why there was any controversy at all. That statue wasn't every portrayed as the Sphinx and the actual Sphinx looked thousands of years old in the one shot in which it appeared, which is absolutely correct. I did think the Black and White Minstrels appearing during intermission was a bit risky though.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    My problem with Exodus is it wasn't Biblical, it was based on the account in Exodus but very loosely.
    Whatever you believe about it, it's a remarkable enough story as written, it doesn't need elaboration or Hollywoodizing.
    It didn't stick to the historical facts closely enough?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Maybe they can do a biopic about the Burning Bush next?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    It didn't stick to the historical facts closely enough?
    Try reading my post again