Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True Story. 6/10. #decent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It is hard to make original films but all these Marvel ones are just cookie cutter films and there are so many of them. I guess so long as people keep going to see them, they'll keep making them though.
    I've generally liked the Marvel films since they started the Marvel cinematic universe thing with Iron Man. The Edward Norton Hulk was a bit pointless and Iron Man 2 was a bit of a stopgap, but on the whole they're about as good as you can expect from adaptations of billions of stories trying to appeal to a mainstream, all-ages audience.

Avengers 2 though, was really disappointing. It felt like Joss Whedon was on autopilot for the first time in his career. There was no real drama or peril, the viliains were weak, the humour felt forced and the 50,000 buildings and entire cities getting smashed in an identikit CGI mass brawl has outlived it's welcome more than Jar Jar Binks in Episode 1.
    Last edited by Master Splinter; 21-07-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jurassic World was crap too.

You could pick out any scene from the original and it would have more tension, excitement, wit and flair than anything seen in World.

You can't expect it to outdo the original or for a pub-teamer to match Spielberg's precision, but being so off-the-mark in regards to the tone, the plot, the characters and just basic internal logistics is terrible. And how is it that CGI still hasn't matched or surpassed a film from 1993?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got round to seeing The Babadook recently.

I felt that it didn't prove effective enough on that basic explicit horror level for the other side of the film to fully leave a lasting impression. But it still has some interesting ideas and would probably be a film that would improve on repeated viewings, with the smaller details becoming more evident.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted - alright I guess. The Flash Gordon scenes were decent enough but halfway through I just wanted to watch Airplane.

71 - very good. O'Connell was fantastic, though my favourite was probably the little Irish kid. Shame he didn't last long. Belfast looked like fun. I'm no expert on the Troubles by any means but it seemed authentic and plausible.

Imitation Game - overall I though it was quite good. Cumberbatch seemed in his element. They took a few (massive) liberties with the facts, not least the whole Soviet Spy thing, but then it is a film not a biography. I thought they laid it on a bit thick trying to convince you he was autistic though. Seemed a tad lazy "oh he's a computing genius he must be fucking mental and a right twat" when by all accounts he was actually a nice guy with a personality. And I'm a bit disappointed that Charles Dance just disappeared 3/4 of the way through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Jurassic World was crap too.

You could pick out any scene from the original and it would have more tension, excitement, wit and flair than anything seen in World.

You can't expect it to outdo the original or for a pub-teamer to match Spielberg's precision, but being so off-the-mark in regards to the tone, the plot, the characters and just basic internal logistics is terrible. And how is it that CGI still hasn't matched or surpassed a film from 1993?
    Also, why is Chris Pratt in everything these days?
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm View Post
    Gone Girl.

Fucking hell.
    Just watched that tonight. Totally compelling mindfuckery. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched The Reluctant Fundamentalist, anyone watched this before?
    'WHEN HE HAS A PLAN, WE BACK HIM, WHEN HE DOESN'T......WE KEEP QUIET'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Just watched The Reluctant Fundamentalist, anyone watched this before?
    Hadn't heard of it, but struggling for films to watch so I might give it a go. The film that is, not muslamic rayguns. Mixed reviews - is it any good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    Hadn't heard of it, but struggling for films to watch so I might give it a go. The film that is, not muslamic rayguns. Mixed reviews - is it any good?
    no rayguns, but a very interesting take from the other side of the east/west cultural divide regards islamic fundamentalism. really enjoyed it for several reasons, a refreshing realism being chief amongst them.

watched it on netflix, bit long so settle in and watch when in no rush
    'WHEN HE HAS A PLAN, WE BACK HIM, WHEN HE DOESN'T......WE KEEP QUIET'