Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Frozen
    Awlful film.
    Okay bye...
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Frozen
    Awlful film.
    That was ice. Hate films with ice.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macbeth 8/10

A faithful adaptation with two brilliant performances from Fassbender (as always) and Cotillard. A dense atmosphere and great score that brings to life the deceit and blood underpinning the play. Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gangs of New York 5/10

Daniel Day Lewis is really the only good about this. It's just patronising and completely shallow, quite an effort in a two and half hour film. Accents are all over the place and the story is mostly tripe. Now I remember why I avoided seeing it for so long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Martian

Pretty good but not as good as I thought it would be. Bit too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Mass 7/10

In shocking turn of events, Johnny Depp has remembered that there is a point to him and returns to being a proper actor. Although he is returning to Jack fucking Sparrow soon. Very good in this, you can see he enjoys the darker side of the character. Not a bad 'true story' Mafia flick, doesn't set the world on fire but pretty solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Donnie Brasco or Public Enemies?

I felt Public Enemies was all style and lacked the depth and menace of Mann's best work. Actually, he's been on a severe downward spiral from Ali onward. Although Collateral was pretty good.

And yeah, it is a shame Depp has been making disappointing choices since Pirates made him a megastar. His performances are still generally exemplary, but the projects he's chosen have been largely off the mark or downright shit. The Tourist is probably the worst thing ever filmed. Sweeney Todd is the only memorable thing he's done in that period. Pre-Pirates, even the dodgy films had a charming, offbeat quality and he rarely repeated himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brasco I'd say, although I haven't seen PE. That's the type of film I'll only ever see if I bump into it late night on Film4 or something. Mann is finished I think. Blackhat was awful, with Hemsworth in full on muscle-dummy mode. He's a million miles away from Thief and The Insider now.

It is good to see Depp return to form. He's been on autopilot for the past ten years, coasting along with Burton - who is doing similar - and as you say, milking the money in that shocking franchise. You can tell he had a lot of fun playing this 'Whitey' Bulger guy, great to see he still has it in him.