Page 341 of 435 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351391 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 4346

Thread: The Film Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I just don't get why anybody would think Rogue one is better than the force awakens. The former has a jedi in the way of a kung fun style blind man who REPEATEDLY mumbles....I am at one with the force....the force is at one with me. He even wields a jedi like weapon...... he's a Jedi in everything but name.

The ostensible omission of Jedi's does not have that much significance. It's a decent film but the lack of relation to the saga in direct terms just means you end up not caring so much about what happens.
    Most of these types of movies have a pretty bog standard generic plot but make up for it with great action and characters. There wasn’t much depth to any of the characters, not much chemistry or development in Rogue One. But that’s not a major crime. I’ve seen other movies get past character development problems by having their characters face a massive mission impossible style task. Everyone loves to root for the underdog and seeing how it all unravels. That wasn’t the case for Rogue One either. It was all a bit too bland.

I’ll watch it again to see if my opinion changes. Watched Bourne Legacy again recently and thought it was better on 2nd viewing. Same happened with the latest Indiana Jones movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Hurt. RIP
    Still cant get the picture of that nasty alien coming out of his chest out of my mind. Its a great life if people remember you for the art that you left behind. Respect.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Watched a couple of the Oscar bait films from two years back - Birdman and Boyhood

Birdman is an interesting quirky film about self obsession, it's amusing and dark but it's pretty unspectacular.

Boyhood seemed to me to be more based on the novelty
    cinematic concept of using the same actors over a 12 year period than anything particularly great about the film. Ethan Hawke for me is the only real likeable character, the director uses his own daughter to play the main characters older sister and she's terrible especially by the time she reaches adulthood herself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Birdman a lot

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Watched Whiplash, best of the three films i have seen this week although i found the ending a little unsatisfactory

But then again in real life how many people are actually punished for being total cunts

Then again Nieman himself is a jack off and it shows the weakness of his character that despite Fletcher being a manipulative bullying tosser he is still pathetically grateful for anything remotely approaching praise from him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David Brent: Life On The Road.

Very good. Not great cinema, obviously, but made me lol, as the kids are saying.
    Gervais is a bit of a one trick pony but it's a good trick. Recently without any way of watching TV after the move for a few weeks we resorted to DVDs and re-watched all of The Office and Extras. Don't think he's done anything anywhere near as good since those two shows.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I'm one of those few people who never found the Office funny

Not a big fan of Ricky Gervais anyway, even though it's hit and miss I think his best comedy work is in his stand up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of his standup, seen him a few times live. Second season of Extras has quite a few laugh out loud moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Gervais, me.

I really like The Invention of Lying, though like Derek, it's really ham-fisted with it's message.

Life on the Road is a nice follow-up to The Office. It's funny but also really sad to see him reduced certain things. Paying for his band to have a drink with him was particularly sad.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think his films have ever been as good as his TV shows, The Invention of Lying was OK although some of his writing is a bit ham-fisted. Not being able to lie, or it not occurring to you, doesn't mean you'd go out of your way to be rude to people by saying what's on your mind.