User Tag List

Page 366 of 435 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376416 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 4346

Thread: The Film Thread

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Getting back to films. Did I mention how SHIT the new Alien film is?

It continues to bug me how shit that film is.
    Meh I only like the first one anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alien vs Predator is the best one.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean worst
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Interesting that to make your point that you didn't have you had to neglect the sentence previously that negates it

When I say most women I know I mean it literally I mean of the women I know

And I prefaced it by stating that we can only draw from our own experience to ram the point home that I cannot speak for any gender universally.

Or would you like to suggest that I'm using the women I know as a paradigm case for all women?
    I find that hard to believe. But if you say so. I don't know them. But from my experience and from what I've seen and heard, It's a concern and even down to the smallest of things. I only have to think back to when I was at school and the girls were told that they weren't allowed to wear trousers in the winter or how long their skirts had to be. A minor teen issue then but even today in the office, the woman have to be mindful of how they dress. That debate even happens in the church. Letters must know about that one at least. The onus is on the woman not to tempt the man with 'provocative' clothing.

But even on a deeper level, I find it hard to believe none of them have to deal with unwanted sexual attention. I've heard plenty of stories. From being at the wrong place with a group of guys and having to be able to navigate your way out of that situation when someone gets too hands on, to even being cautious of when a guy offers to buy you a drink or what sort of cab to jump in when getting back home. The sort of things we often don't even have to consider.

This is just from some of the conversations I've had. It doesn't have to be an academic conversation or even as closely linked to the 'gender politics' you refer to. Just everyday stuff.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    I find that hard to believe. But if you say so. I don't know them. But from my experience and from what I've seen and heard, It's a concern and even down to the smallest of things. I only have to think back to when I was at school and the girls were told that they weren't allowed to wear trousers in the winter or how long their skirts had to be. A minor teen issue then but even today in the office, the woman have to be mindful of how they dress. That debate even happens in the church. Letters must know about that one at least. The onus is on the woman not to tempt the man with 'provocative' clothing.

But even on a deeper level, I find it hard to believe none of them have to deal with unwanted sexual attention. I've heard plenty of stories. From being at the wrong place with a group of guys and having to be able to navigate your way out of that situation when someone gets too hands on, to even being cautious of when a guy offers to buy you a drink or what sort of cab to jump in when getting back home. The sort of things we often don't even have to consider.

This is just from some of the conversations I've had. It doesn't have to be an academic conversation or even as closely linked to the 'gender politics' you refer to. Just everyday stuff.
    You understand though that there is a difference between women talking about how they've had unwanted attention from men and embracing gender politics.

And that's all I'm saying. Yes unfortunately I have spoken to women who have been recipients of harassment and assault, I persuaded a friend of mine to go to the police about it as additional to assaulting her this guy was also stalking her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You understand though that there is a difference between women talking about how they've had unwanted attention from men and embracing gender politics.

And that's all I'm saying. Yes unfortunately I have spoken to women who have been recipients of harassment and assault, I persuaded a friend of mine to go to the police about it as additional to assaulting her this guy was also stalking her.
    I not even sure I know what you mean by gender politics but can the two be separated from this subject? Especially when talking about the imagery in media which goes back to Dr. Who and NQ casually joking about her needing to show her tits and ass to keep viewers interested. It's just a joke but It's all interwined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I not even sure I know what you mean by gender politics but can the two be separated from this subject? Especially when talking about the imagery in media which goes back to Dr. Who and NQ casually joking about her needing to show her tits and ass to keep viewers interested. It's just a joke but It's all interwined.
    Are you now claiming you don't want her to show her tits and arse?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    If you genuinely believe that such comments feed into a mindset where to young men sexually assaulting women is acceptable I guess.
    I don't of course, as I repeat above in singularly male company it is ordinary for the opposite sex to be objectified to a degree. Much like the girls in my office who have a girls night in watching Magic Mike.

I don't believe that's a pre cursor to sexual aggression and it infantilises the scumbags who behave in that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you genuinely believe that such comments feed into a mindset where to young men sexually assaulting women is acceptable I guess.
    I don't of course, as I repeat above in singularly male company it is ordinary for the opposite sex to be objectified to a degree. Much like the girls in my office who have a girls night in watching Magic Mike.

I don't believe that's a pre cursor to sexual aggression and it infantilises the scumbags who behave in that way.
    I don't believe the comments feed into anything. It just plays into the wider discussion about how women are represented in the media and sexism.
    Last edited by Power n Glory; 20-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A minor teen issue then but even today in the office, the woman have to be mindful of how they dress. That debate even happens in the church. Letters must know about that one at least. The onus is on the woman not to tempt the man with 'provocative' clothing.
    I've never heard that debate expressed at church openly but then it's never really been an issue. We don't have a dress code and people tend to dress fairly casually. No-one turns up like they're just about to go out clubbing though. I think if any of the women turned up with their knockers pretty much hanging out then something would be said.
    When we have worship songs we show the words on the screen and put images behind them. There was one picture of a young lady who was fairly respectfully dressed but someone complained that the picture was too provocative!
    We'll have to make sure to only use pictures of munters in future [add your own "MrsL" joke here].

I do think there is a certain onus on women since traditionally it's the men who do the chasing and the woman who "put on a display" so they are chased. That's just biology for you, you get the same in many species. This is where I get irritated when people say it's "victim blaming" to say that women are putting themselves at risk if they dress provocatively and get blind drunk and then walk down dark alleys on their own. Yes, in a perfect world women "should" be safe to do as they please, in the same way that I "should" be safe to wear a load of bling and walk around in a rough part of town. But we don't live in a perfect world, in the real one it makes some sense for women to act in a way which doesn't put them in unnecessary danger. That doesn't mean it's their fault if something happens, any more than it's my fault if I get mugged in the scenario I outlined, but it does mean in both cases that the person maybe acted in a way that put them in more danger than they needed to.