Page 373 of 435 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4346

Thread: The Film Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Speaking of Phillip K Dick inspired stuff has anyone watched the Electric Dreams series on Channel 4?

Worth a go?
    On my to watch list. I need watch through the 4OD service. Also need to finish off Black Mirrors on Netflix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    You may want to read Revelations again and do some research on the theories surrounding that book. As a Christian, this sort of thing should be on your radar. I can't understand how you feel it has no effect on your life. Surely someone in your circle says we're in end of days territory with what we're seeing in the world?
    I don't pay much attention to theories around Revelation. Yes, I do know people who believe we are in the "end days". But Jesus was very clear about this: "no one knows the hour", He will return like "a thief in the night" and He actively warned us against worrying about things which appear to be signs of the end times. We could be in the end days of course but there have been "The End Of The World Is Nigh" placards for as long as there have been placards.

I don't see how increased surveillance has affected my life, no, and people who wring their hands about it can never give a concrete example of how it has affected theirs. NQ's reply is a perfect example, "if I need to explain it then I won't be able to explain it". Evasive and meaninglessness. Concrete example or stfu.

COULD the level of surveillance we are now under affect our freedoms? Of course, if we ever lived under an oppressive, Orwellian regime. But I think that extremely unlikely in this country. NQ may claim we already do but if so then I hope he would appreciate the irony of him freely doing so on a message board without a knock at the door or any other consequence. I don't feel the level of surveillance we have affects my freedom of movement or speech, if anyone feels it affects theirs then I'd be interested to know how. The worst I get is targeted advertising which is annoying but I'm not forced into buying anything, it's fairly benign, I'm not going to hide under my bed because I'm being offered products or services "they" may think I'm interested in because of past behaviour or buying patterns.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Also, just so you know, you're already living in the dystopian future. As a Christian it's literally quite unbelievable you don't realise that.
    Dystopia:

"an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one."

So no, not really. Fallen and imperfect, certainly, but not everything in the world or society is bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    not everything in the world or society is bad.
    Name one thing that isn't
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Name one thing that isn't
    Wenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Wenger.
    The creator himself goes without saying.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    The creator himself goes without saying.
    Yes, true. But ALL the other shit is his fault.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pay much attention to theories around Revelation. Yes, I do know people who believe we are in the "end days". But Jesus was very clear about this: "no one knows the hour", He will return like "a thief in the night" and He actively warned us against worrying about things which appear to be signs of the end times. We could be in the end days of course but there have been "The End Of The World Is Nigh" placards for as long as there have been placards.

I don't see how increased surveillance has affected my life, no, and people who wring their hands about it can never give a concrete example of how it has affected theirs. NQ's reply is a perfect example, "if I need to explain it then I won't be able to explain it". Evasive and meaninglessness. Concrete example or stfu.

COULD the level of surveillance we are now under affect our freedoms? Of course, if we ever lived under an oppressive, Orwellian regime. But I think that extremely unlikely in this country. NQ may claim we already do but if so then I hope he would appreciate the irony of him freely doing so on a message board without a knock at the door or any other consequence. I don't feel the level of surveillance we have affects my freedom of movement or speech, if anyone feels it affects theirs then I'd be interested to know how. The worst I get is targeted advertising which is annoying but I'm not forced into buying anything, it's fairly benign, I'm not going to hide under my bed because I'm being offered products or services "they" may think I'm interested in because of past behaviour or buying patterns.
    That is your concrete answer FFS!
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the Christian thing was an accusation, not an invitation to start going on about religion as if it is connected in some way to reality.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite staggering that you don't see the connection. I don't agree with everything NQ says but I can see the connection on the problem with being too liberal and PC. For example, despite what's said in the Bible, I'm sure it will soon be illegal to preach against 'sin'. It doesn't look too far off. For example, I'm sure we'll soon see parents being accused of 'abuse' if they try to discourage their son from wearing a dress and high heels to school every morning because he wants to copy the drag queens seen on X Factor.

Muslims are being monitored now and considering the circumstances, it's understandable why. But I'm sure a few crazy extreme right-wing nuts from the Bible belt of America could spark something similar where you'd have to be careful what you say online and elsewhere.