User Tag List

Page 399 of 435 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 4346

Thread: The Film Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to the director's cut.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plane home films:

"A Star Is Born".

Not a fan of GaGa, but have to admit she is outstanding in this. Really good film. And you get to see her boobs. And front bottom, very briefly. That's a freeze-frame job.

"The Favourite"

Enjoyed this although the end was a bit odd, it just sort of stopped. Not sure if Coleman was Oscar-worthy (I'd have gone for Glenn Close, having seen The Wife) but she is good.

"Three Identical Strangers."

Really interesting documentary which explores the nature vs nurture debate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lion King

What the hell is the point of this? I know Disney are basically remaking all of their films as "live action" but there aren't any people IN TLK, so they're just remaking it in a different style of animation.
    I know. Cha-ching. I guess that's the point. It's quite the con-trick though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They’ll make a killing of course but I think it’s a nice way to introduce these classics to a new generation. It is fairly pointless though, granted.

I’ll still be watching it and their other remakes though because Disney is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    The Lion King

What the hell is the point of this? I know Disney are basically remaking all of their films as "live action" but there aren't any people IN TLK, so they're just remaking it in a different style of animation.
    I know. Cha-ching. I guess that's the point. It's quite the con-trick though.
    Money, of course, but also to do with the copyright. I think it’s based on a law passed back in the late 90s about copyright extension - I think it’s currently the lifetime of the owner plus 70 years. That’s why they’re pretty much redoing all their animated films as ‘live action’ now. Disney is all about nostalgia and as long as they keep the copyright fresh they can keep tapping into that forever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    They’ll make a killing of course but I think it’s a nice way to introduce these classics to a new generation.
    But...they’re classics because they’re good.
    Didn’t they remake Psycho and it sucked? Don’t remake Psycho! It’s a classic, leave it alone. Just watch Psycho!

That said, I would concede that the Disney remakes I’ve seen so far have been great.
    I was deeply skeptical about The Jungle Book but have to admit they nailed it.

Just feels like one big con trick which everyone is falling for (me included, admittedly).
    It’s like getting people to buy a slightly different red shirt for £50 each year.

The point about copyright is interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wet myself.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. That does look good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquaman

Dreadful. They keep getting worse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Night To Remember.

The original “Titanic”.
    It’s really good although showing its age a bit.
    I like the fact it just sticks to the facts, in Titanic Cameron made up the Jake/Rose story and the disaster becomes a backdrop to that but actually it’s an amazing enough story in itself and doesn’t need any embellishment.