Thread: Calciopoli II?

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calciopoli II?

Lazio captain arrested in match-fixing investigation
    The captain of Lazio has been arrested by police investigating claims of match-fixing. Midfielder Stefano Mauri, 32, was held along with former Genoa midfielder Omar Milanetto, police said. Officers are searching more than 30 homes, including those of players, trainers and administrators of clubs in Serie A, Serie B and lower divisions. Five people were also arrested in Hungary on suspicion of being part of an illegal international betting ring.

Monday's operation was part of a wider investigation which has already seen a number of arrests of current and former Italian players. In June last year, the Interior Ministry set up a special match-fixing task force in response to a number of high profile cases.

Former Atalanta captain and Italy midfielder Cristiano Doni was banned for three-and-a-half years in August for his part in the 'Calcioscommesse' scandal involving Serie B matches last season. He was also arrested in December 2011 over match-fixing and betting allegations.
    Atalanta, promoted from Serie B, were deducted six points in the top flight this season as a result of the scandal.

Former Lazio and Italy striker Giuseppe Signori was banned for five years and 15 other players were banned for between one and five years for their parts.
    Mauri, who joined the Rome club from Udinese in 2006 and has 11 caps for Italy, made 16 league appearances last season as Lazio finished fourth in Serie A.
    Milanetto, 36, signed for Serie B side Padova last summer after five years at Genoa and made 15 starts last season.
    Since then Antonio Conte and Domenico Criscito have been 'targeted by police' say SSN. If Juve are involved again then... to the extreme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from what i heard the juve boss has been arrested due to a game from the season before when he was at another club and now christian veri has been arrested

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell.

Also, the Italian PM Mario Monti has suggested that all football in Italy should be suspended for two to three years. I'm not sure he thinks it's practical to enforce but that would trigger the biggest firesale of all time wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Bloody hell.

Also, the Italian PM Mario Monti has suggested that all football in Italy should be suspended for two to three years. I'm not sure he thinks it's practical to enforce but that would trigger the biggest firesale of all time wouldn't it?
    We'd still probably observe the waiting period for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank heavens this only goes on in Italy.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Thank heavens this only goes on in Italy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Criscito has been booted from the Italy squad now as well as he is clearly guilty until proven innocent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
    Criscito has been booted from the Italy squad now as well as he is clearly guilty until proven innocent.
    Was he not able to trigger the Big Man clause in his contract and put off the hearings until after the Euros? Sounds to me like he hasn't got the Italian footie authorities in his pocket. Bad oversight by him in that case.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Was he not able to trigger the Big Man clause in his contract and put off the hearings until after the Euros? Sounds to me like he hasn't got the Italian footie authorities in his pocket. Bad oversight by him in that case.
    The FA fucked up massively here, essentially he has won an FA cup and a Champs league while he should of been banned/in prison.

Not good