User Tag List

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Athletics Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nelson Evora the reigning triple jump Olympic champ is out of the event with injury

The road is clear for Phillips Idowu to win that gold

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt wants to "amaze" the world at London 2012 by running 9.4 seconds for the 100m and 19 seconds for the 200m.
    Jamaican Bolt, 25, is the reigning Olympic champion and world-record holder over both distances, with times of 9.58secs and 19.19secs.
    "People are looking forward to me running 9.4, 19 seconds, anything that's amazing," Bolt told BBC Sport.
    "So I'm working as hard as possible so I can go as fast as possible."
    Talking on the BBC1 programme 100 Days To Go, Bolt added that more performances, such as the ones that saw him take three gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, would make him "a living legend".
    "They want to see my personality, me enjoying it and doing crazy stuff, but they also want to see that time," he said.
    "If I dominate the Olympics, I'll be a living legend. A living legend walking around. Sounds good."
    Think he can do it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17742236

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Yes. Even if he does not he still is the Best there is and what he does.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure actually, probably depends on how brave he feels getting the timing perfectly. Facepalms galore if he false starts in the final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the biggest let down in history if false starts again.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the stupidest rule in sport tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Beeb had a special preview on 2012 tonight, as there are only 100 days left to go. It was a good watch, had interviews with all the big names.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 18-04-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A WOMAN runner died as she competed in the London Marathon, race organisers revealed tonight.

She collapsed at Birdcage Walk, near St James’ Park, on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course, according to a statement on the marathon’s official website.

The 30-year-old competitor, from Leicestershire, was given medical attention at the scene but died this afternoon, officials added. She is the tenth runner to die since the London Marathon began in 1981.

Organisers said: “We would like to emphasise that our immediate concern is for the family of the deceased. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them at this difficult time.”
    RIP

CHARITY sponsorship for a runner who died during the London Marathon rocketed from just £500 to more than £100,000 today as news of the tragedy spread worldwide

Donations from thousands of strangers hit £150 every MINUTE and friends' tributes flooded in for Claire Squires who collapsed near the finish of the 26.2-mile event yesterday.

Claire, 30, fell as she made her way along Birdcage Walk, near St James’s Park, the final stretch of the course with the end just one bend away.

Despite immediate medical attention she could not be saved.

Claire, a hairdresser from North Kilworth, Leics, was running to raise money for the Samaritans.

As her death was reported today, thousands of people rushed to place pledges on her JustGiving page and the amount soared from £500 to more than £100,000 in just a few hours.

Claire had written as she prepared for the event: “I’m running the London Marathon for Samaritans because they continuously support others.”

Her site was today flooded by people paying tribute.

Rebecca Herity wrote: “Such an amazing girl! Miss you so much already! Beautiful angel xxx.”

Jo Lovell said: “Amazing lady!xxx.”

Andrew Robathan, Tory MP for South Leicestershire, said she died doing something she loved.

He said: “I live very close to North Kilworth, and I know a lot of people there and think I may have met her once.

“It is a tragedy, how hard for the family, awful for the family, and a tragedy for her and all her friends.

“But at the same time she was doing something she obviously loved doing.”

Claire had climbed Africa's Mount Kilimanjaro in March to raise money for the Royal Air Force Association.
    Callie Wright tweeted: “RIP Claire Squires - lived life to the full. Only lady I know to take hair straightners up a mountain! xxxx RIP Bear xxxxxxxx”

A statement on the London Marathon website said: “A 30-year-old woman collapsed at Birdcage Walk, and although immediate medical attention was provided to the casualty, the fatality was confirmed.

“The organisers of the Virgin London Marathon would like to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.”

Claire's cause of death is not yet known.

Birdcage Walk is the last road the event runners take before reaching Buckingham Palace where they turn on to The Mall.

Yesterday’s death was the tenth since the London Marathon began in 1981. Five of the previous fatalities were caused by heart disease in runners who did not know they had the condition.

The last fatality was in 2007 when a 22-year-old fitness instructor collapsed.
    www.sun.co.uk
    Last edited by Olivier's xmas twist; 23-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Dwain Chambers ban will be overturned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news. We should sign him in play him on the right wing to replace our crippled sprinter.