User Tag List

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal debate stupidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a scary image on here and then goes and spoils it all in real life.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    I tried to bring it back on topic.

I even deleted my own post and reported the one that started all the shit from the pig dude
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    I know. You did good.
    Give him a peanut.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See what i have to put up with

A poster who doesnt come on often and when he does, he doesnt make any posts relevant to football but only to pick on certain posters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I'm not talking about Flavs, I'm talking about certain other posters who condemn people for not falling in with their beliefs. Please try not to give them a free run on here. I don't know what developed on the threat but last time I saw it there were a few comments about a player who appeared on the cover of a gay mag being gay. I really don't think there will be any repercussions from something like that, other than self imposed penalties. I'm aware it's a fine line but for the same of free speech and free thought we should at least be walking right to the edge of that line. When there are laws against speech there's always something fundamentally rotten behind it, often disguised as the protection of rights. It needs to be disguised, hence the demands for censorship.

Adding a spoiler tag to that image will entice people to click it. No form of censorship ever works as intended.
    Anyway, to address this point.

First of all, "free speech" as you appear to mean it does not exist. If some of the things said on here were said in certain contexts (for example, in person) they would potentially lead to prosecution. Therefore it is misguided to think you can, in every situation, say whatever you like.

Secondly, it would be hypocritical of you to complain about people "condemning" you if you're so keen on people expressing their right to free speech. I personally haven't reported anyone for anything on new GW (and possibly on old GW either, though I can't remember) because it's only a football forum. I challenge people head-on when they expound bigoted views as I would in real life, but I accept that this is just an Internet forum and not the fucking UN.

If you're really concerned about "censorship", I'd suggest you focus your ire on the only person known to have actually reported anything from the thread, thus compelling mods to act, which is Ach.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now hes critisising for doing the right thing

Oh dear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel sorry for the mods.

It is impossible to do the right thing here. You want to let the forum flow but there have to be limits because people do get upset. Additionally consideration needs to be given to what could happen if some of the stuff posted here was relayed further. You may not think it, especially as this is a small forum, but it is possible that if left entirely unchecked posters and the Admins/Contributors to the forum could end up in a difficult situation regardless of whether what gets said is meant or said in jest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not impossible to do the right thing. It is impossible to make everyone happy, but that is something else. Broadly, the mods on GW have done a good job and allow it to run on aloose lead. So maybe we all disagree with a mod's decision now and then, maybe sometimes a mod is wrong, but that is just the way of the world. It is the overall effect that counts and I think that as forums go, this one is modded extermely well.

What the mods should do is not do is throw a wobbler because they can't satisfy everyone. So what - it is not possible so don't worry about it. Do what you think is right and let people deal with it one way or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is impossible to do the right thing.

For instance, I differ from you on what I regard as being the 'right thing'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    See what i have to put up with

A poster who doesnt come on often and when he does, he doesnt make any posts relevant to football but only to pick on certain posters.

He is in love with you. Bromance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    It is impossible to do the right thing.

For instance, I differ from you on what I regard as being the 'right thing'.
    You might well do, but that does not make what I regard as the 'right thing' either right or wrong. It is not impossible to do the right thing, though it might not be possible to know that you have done it.