User Tag List

Page 140 of 190 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1899

Thread: US Open 2012

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Apart from glare at line judges whenever they dare to say, give her a foot fault? And as far as we know, say to a line judge she will kill her?

Look, I know there is a story of her return from possible death of her injuries but for one, I don't like her demeanour and for another which is more relevant for tennis, I hate seeing outright power dominate everything.
    I second that, and the whole family are a bunch of weirdo Jehovah's Witnesses!

Also Women's Tennis is boring on the whole

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    In terms of entertainment value, the men's game is probably as good as it has ever been....in terms of an open competitive field not so much
    Since Wimbledon 2010, no-one out of the exclusive group of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray has made it even to a Grand Slam final....in fact it's fairly a common occurrence for that quartet to make up the semi final line ups as well. I know Murray isn't on the same platform as Nadal, Federer and Djokovic but he's consistently better than anyone else on the tour.
    Also there are no youngsters coming through at the moment, the likes of Raonic and Tomic don't look anywhere near the standard needed to compete for majors.
    Look how young Nadal was when he won his first major, there is no-one of that age bracket currently or even of 20-21 getting near the business end of Grand Slams.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if i should watch the final tonight or not or just follow it on bbc website/radio

Not the same but i cba going downstairs to watch something that might go on for hours

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    In terms of entertainment value, the men's game is probably as good as it has ever been....in terms of an open competitive field not so much
    Since Wimbledon 2010, no-one out of the exclusive group of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray has made it even to a Grand Slam final....in fact it's fairly a common occurrence for that quartet to make up the semi final line ups as well. I know Murray isn't on the same platform as Nadal, Federer and Djokovic but he's consistently better than anyone else on the tour.
    Also there are no youngsters coming through at the moment, the likes of Raonic and Tomic don't look anywhere near the standard needed to compete for majors.
    Look how young Nadal was when he won his first major, there is no-one of that age bracket currently or even of 20-21 getting near the business end of Grand Slams.
    They have raised the bar considerably high for everything; mental strength, playing abilities, physicality, physical longevity. There are still good players on the tour but if they are just short on only one of those areas, they're unlikely to beat those guys - or if they beat one, they won't beat the other.

There's no doubt in my mind that Federer - Nadal is what has pushed Djokovic to go completely mental. Without them, he probably wouldn't be the monolith he is now. And that's the thing, they can keep pushing and pushing each other but eventually they go so high up the scale that it leaves the others with not a hope in hell as it stands. And that's the case for Masters events too, let alone Grand Slams!

However, Federer and Nadal are the most likeliest to go (not that I expect them to for another two years at least yet).

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Not sure if i should watch the final tonight or not or just follow it on bbc website/radio

Not the same but i cba going downstairs to watch something that might go on for hours
    Go down when someone is a set away from winning it. Having said that, it could be a repeat of the Australian Open semi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it basically the two greatest bus-parkers on the tour. Yet it's actually interesting. Tennis

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Bus-Parking?....compared to what.....serve-volleying which has practically been made redundant by the athleticism of the top four. For me it's just good court coverage.

Nadal must have the knees of a sixty year old with arthritis.....it's not good for a player his age to have had the injuries he has had and to have missed the tournaments he has....you look at Federer he's pretty much featured in every Grand Slam for the past ten years. I wouldn't be surprised if he has called time on his career by the time he is 30. Federer could still have a few years left in him but I think he will struggle to win anymore majors....Djokovic will dominate the hard courts....Nadal will own Roland Garros for a few more years and Wimbledon is a toss up between them. It will be interesting to see if Nadal can win seven more grand slams in his career to overtake Federer (assuming of course Federer remains on 17 and for the life of me I can't see where he will pick up another one) I'd like to think not because although Nadal is an exceptional athlete and can wear anyone down, i think Federer is the more consummate all round Tennis player with more variety in his locker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post

aint you got a lap top or pc upstairs just watch it on a stream there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Bus-Parking?....compared to what.....serve-volleying which has practically been made redundant by the athleticism of the top four. For me it's just good court coverage.

Nadal must have the knees of a sixty year old with arthritis.....it's not good for a player his age to have had the injuries he has had and to have missed the tournaments he has....you look at Federer he's pretty much featured in every Grand Slam for the past ten years. I wouldn't be surprised if he has called time on his career by the time he is 30. Federer could still have a few years left in him but I think he will struggle to win anymore majors....Djokovic will dominate the hard courts....Nadal will own Roland Garros for a few more years and Wimbledon is a toss up between them. It will be interesting to see if Nadal can win seven more grand slams in his career to overtake Federer (assuming of course Federer remains on 17 and for the life of me I can't see where he will pick up another one) I'd like to think not because although Nadal is an exceptional athlete and can wear anyone down, i think Federer is the more consummate all round Tennis player with more variety in his locker.
    It was just a cheap reference to these two having brilliant defences, and how it's actually interesting compared to say, Stoke-Blackburn. I like it too. Djokovic is phenomenal.

I think he will win in five tonight, unfortunately.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bendtner View Post
    It was just a cheap reference to these two having brilliant defences, and how it's actually interesting compared to say, Stoke-Blackburn. I like it too. Djokovic is phenomenal.

I think he will win in five tonight, unfortunately.
    Ah!