User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Football Clean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juve and their doctors were caught up in doping through the mid 90s - around the same sort of time they were appearing in the CL every season. it happens in every sport and always will - the important thing is that in the main it is kept out of the top tier where the world can see everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon there are more Footballers who use recreational drugs than performance enhancing ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if there is likely to be any drug problem in top flight football, it is more likely to involve the use of Class A drugs - it has to be a problem when you've got a bunch of overpaid moronic twentysomethings with ridiculous amounts of time, money and temptation on their hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great minds eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    Simple minds eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    You're right. The reward is very high and the margins of success are very small. There could be an incentive for trying to cheat the system. Drugs isn't the only way to do that - maybe other measures are less risky (though none come to mind).

But again, without wishing to go back to a rant about Arsenal, the success of the club on the pitch is not necessarily the club's major goal. Making money is. It matters that the club and players want to win at any cost for this to work. If the players are happy on their silly money they might not want to risk it. And the club can't really force them into it for fear of being heavily sued/destroyed.

I'd say the risks of getting caught for either player or club would be pretty severe now. I guess your initial point was that it could be easy not to get caught but, as I say, I don't know how rigorous the testing is - it's not something that's publicised too well but that doesn't mean it's not competitive.
    If the Armstrong scandal has shown us anything, it is that given enough money and influence, the dopers are so far ahead of the testers that without whistleblowers, you can basically be confident of never getting caught.

Because of the risk of covers being blow, I'm not sure that clubs are likely systematically to be involved in doping. But with the sheer amount of money on hand for top footballers, it would not surprise me at all if individual players and their agents were involved in doping. People ask why would it be needed in football. Well, football is no different from any other sport - drugs will help athletes train harder, for longer, and therefore improve on pitch performance.

Also, players are often so thick, and greedy, that you can imagine them taking 'supplements' without ever really knowing or caring what they are.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doping? maybe

drugs? definetly

they earn so much money they have nothing better to do with their dollar. wasnt JT's dad done for cocaine possession? if fathers doing it theres a good chance son is doing it too. runs in the family culture and that.

they get tested something like once every 7 years if the bbc panorama docu was anything near truthful. if true, then it provides plenty of opportunity for drugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltord's Winner View Post
    wasnt JT's dad done for cocaine possession? if fathers doing it theres a good chance son is doing it too. runs in the family culture and that.
    Sometimes police officers just arrest the whole family. I think it's called "guilt by association". Maximum sentence 3 years.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Berg Kamping View Post
    If the Armstrong scandal has shown us anything, it is that given enough money and influence, the dopers are so far ahead of the testers that without whistleblowers, you can basically be confident of never getting caught.

Because of the risk of covers being blow, I'm not sure that clubs are likely systematically to be involved in doping. But with the sheer amount of money on hand for top footballers, it would not surprise me at all if individual players and their agents were involved in doping. People ask why would it be needed in football. Well, football is no different from any other sport - drugs will help athletes train harder, for longer, and therefore improve on pitch performance.

Also, players are often so thick, and greedy, that you can imagine them taking 'supplements' without ever really knowing or caring what they are.
    juventus and i think one or two spanish clubs had employees accused of doping players in in the 90s.

i think what the armstrong case shows is that even if technology is far ahead of the game, when the authorities catch up, you will be caught. that is definitely something to chew over for those thinking of doing the same - we've seen numerous cases in athletics of course. basically any athlete has a simple choice of trying to dope for short term gain in the knowledge that their whole career is going to be destroyed in the likelihood that they will be caught.