Thread: Ballon D'Or 2012

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post

http://www.eplindex.com/15004/robin-...pta-stats.html

I'm not saying things because there is no degree of truth to them. Sure we had poor games where we didn't create much and you're right to cite the Anfield game but that is no surprise, that's how it often is for us at Anfield, yet we don't lose anyway. There were wild celebrations because it was a last minute winner, surely?

The reason people wanted an attacking midfielder is to make our attacking play better but also in the hope it wouldn't mean we'd be needing to find RVP all the time and hope he can finish things.

I don't think you read what I said, I said that Messi can do it, with greater regularity than anyone (based on the attributes he has and uses more than anyone else). Watch a video compilation of all his goals, some are absolute tap-ins but a great deal are from picking up the ball and running, then chipping without breaking stride, multiple times.

You're making a 2+2=4 assumption in your hypothetical scenario and of course we're talking about a Barcelona team without Messi in it, therefore it's going to be a team that is a lot less great than it is in any other circumstance. Iniesta and Xavi do not lay chance-after-chance for him without needing to do anything, Xavi hasn't assisted him more than twice in about two years. I'm not going to doubt his finishing ability which is about clean striking, now with either foot but the likelihood of doing that 50 times in a season? I don't think it'll happen. I'm not sure he'll even beat his total from last season by much with Man Utd.

Also, with regards to Real Madrid against Barcelona in chance creation, in their most recent matches, the shots on target/off target stats are very even. Real Madrid just create theirs through going for the throat.
    christ those stats are ridiculous. i mean according to those numbers we were one of the best attacking teams in the league but they hardly reflect the team we saw on the pitch season. id say last season was our worst in terms of creating chances over the past few seasons and thats purely from an observational point of view, going to the matches and seeing us on tv. completely diluted of any attacking creative players like nasri, cesc etc who had all been sold previously, cazorla wasnt here back then. what are the chances those numbers are highly skewed? e.g. 5-3 vs chelsea, 5-2 vs spurs, 7-1 vs blackburn, 4-0 vs wigan, 3-3 vs norwich all inflating the stats and giving a false representation? it was a pretty weird season, lengthy periods of dross followed by a goals galore game.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're season long stats, dismissing the 'freak' results (although this is how the Premier League is) would mean you take away about 10 of RVP's goals, therefore you can't really just toss them aside in this conversation.

I'm not sure what you mean by it suggesting we're 'one of the best' attacking teams in the league, that's rather wooly because obviously we are 'one of the best', when that suggests multiple teams. Best of the rest I would've said but not near enough to get close enough to win a league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering we finished 3rd place behind those teams, I'd say they're a fair reflection