User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israel's Aggression

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Israel's Aggression

I know this isn't the type of thing that gets discussed on this forum these days, I remember a few years back there was a great debate on here on Israel and Palestine, but not expecting to get many responses or serious responses at that!

Anyway I honestly can't believe how israel are still allowed to get away with the crap and the crimes they commit without anyone batting an eyelid and even go to an extent of aplauding the shit they do, (see our politicians and media, the BBC have been fawning all over any israeli official they could speak to today) Will anyone every stand up to them and say enough is enough?

Of course it's very easy for people to get into a chicken and egg debate about such matters and it's all too easy to accuse someone who doesn't like the way Israel conducts themselves as anti-semitic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current president Netanyahu is quite a hawk and isn't helping matters. Unfortunately, it seems like he'll get reelected in January.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't they all saying "you started it"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gervinho's Forehead View Post
    I know this isn't the type of thing that gets discussed on this forum these days, I remember a few years back there was a great debate on here on Israel and Palestine, but not expecting to get many responses or serious responses at that!

Anyway I honestly can't believe how israel are still allowed to get away with the crap and the crimes they commit without anyone batting an eyelid and even go to an extent of aplauding the shit they do, (see our politicians and media, the BBC have been fawning all over any israeli official they could speak to today) Will anyone every stand up to them and say enough is enough?

Of course it's very easy for people to get into a chicken and egg debate about such matters and it's all too easy to accuse someone who doesn't like the way Israel conducts themselves as anti-semitic.
    This is way too simplistic and naive.

I do not exonerate Israel for pursuing the aggressive and implacable policy that it is pursuing in the Gaza strip and the West Bank, but there is a long history of it being surrounded by enemies who want it wiped off the face of the earth, and who have tried many times in the past to do so; the country is choked by policitcal partisanship and Hamas; Hezbollah and the rest are in their own ways as culpable for the mess that shows no signs of abating.

Neither do I accept that Israel gets an easy ride in terms of the world's media. There is more anti Israel sentiment generally now than ever before. While Israel is rightly condemned for its actions, do not underestimate the expertise with which Hamas manipulates the press. One thing that happens consistently if you pay attention is that human suffering is portrayed vividly in the Gaza strip - with pictures of dead children etc - whereas the death of Israili troops - often teenage conscripts themselves is reported as a statistic. These terrorist groups deliberately site missile launchers and military HQ's in civilian areas, in the full knowledge that this will result in the death of the people they claim to represent - but using this as an effective form of warfare.

Iran; Syria (until the civil war at least) actively sponsor and equip terrorist groups that actively aim to strike at Israel - Israeli's would say that they have as much right to strike at their enemies as, say the USA had to act against Al Qaeda. If we had rockets being fired into London or Manchester, I have little doubt that there would be a tendency here to want retribution rather than peaceful compromise. It should be remembered that Gaza was occupied, and the West bank fenced off, as a measure against terrorist atrocities that were taking place within Israel on regular occasions.

If you visit Israel, you will be surprised at the number of Arabs living quite peacefully there - over a fifth of its population in fact. They will be surprised also to hear that the most militant builders in the West Bank are ultra orthodox Jews from the US. The orthodox minority hold the balance of power in the government - which is why successive Israeli leaders are under pressure to be hawks. Yitzhak Rabin was murdered by a Jewish extremist, he was held in affection by many Palastinians.

The majority of Israeli's, and I am sure many ordinary Palastinians would desperately wish for peace. They are both being let down by a cycle of hatred, and by uncompromising leadership that refuses to contemplate this. It is fashionable these days to consider automatically that Israel is the aggressor, and guilty because of its ecomonic strength. But as usual the story is far more complex than this.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chewing my own kneecap off as I type this to try and resist...
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Chewing my own kneecap off as I type this to try and resist...
    Go on. you know you want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

I'm going to have a row with the speaking clock instead.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    No.

I'm going to have a row with the speaking clock instead.
    I wonder how much they pay for that job.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i blame ramsey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltord's Winner View Post
    i blame ramsey
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.