User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger's five best ever signings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wenger's five best ever signings?

Just thought about this. Pretty difficult to narrow it down. I would have a couple of certainties and the remainder can certainly be dictated by preference, but there are several factors to consider alongside that.

1) Henry
    2) Vieira
    3) Pires
    4) Fabregas
    5) Ljungberg

I'd probably change my mind on that a few times. One really good omission was Anelka - sold off after a good season for £23m and never the same since, whilst paying for Henry and a new training ground.

Tried to think mostly of on-pitch contribution but it's hard not to be swayed little bit by the incredible profitable signings when putting together a list. Someone like RVP - bought for £3m, sold for £24m - falls under that. Even guys like Nasri, Overmars, Mong Billong and so on.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have Anelka on there because from a business sense it's still one of the best to date. You could say that sale alone allowed us to move up a level as a club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isn't much to disagree with in the OP - other notables are Anelka - for reasons specified by MOe, Fabregas and RvP. What is particularly notable about these signings, is how long ago they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double, double, double...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sol?

Got one over Spurs, was free and was the best defender in England for half a decade.

Then he met Dido and went mental.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good list by the OP; only that I'd have to find a way to sneak RvC somewhere in that top 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Vieira - It's difficult to look past Henry, but he took a while to settle, and was reasonably high profile. I just think Vieira was the original "Wenger rough diamond", who was the basis, lynchpin and oil in engine of everything that came after. It's why Wenger still persists with Diaby.

2. Henry - Best striker we've ever had. Converted from winger to God, quite simply.

3. Campbell - Classic wenger. Cheap, and more importantly wound up the spuds. We needed new blood when Adams and co retired, and Campbell was a Wenget wumgering at his beat.

4. Anelka - As MOe says. Was a massive contribution money-wise and awesome wheeler dealing.

5. Pires - Balanced the side perfectly, and gave Henry the platform to perform, as well as being an awesome technically brilliant player himself....
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Sol?

Got one over Spurs, was free and was the best defender in England for half a decade.

Then he met Dido and went mental.
    Good call. But you tend to give more credit for the lesser-known quantities not signed expensively. LOL Campbell was one of the best in the world. I suppose credit is due for that particular investment paying off so well given Arsenal couldn't afford for a deal like that not to.

It really was a coup though. Barca and Inter at 150-200k in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1396373.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ur/1413433.stm

Kolo Toure and Adebayor. Not top five but at least we mugged off City and Adebayor's still winning games for us.
    Last edited by Dennis Bendtner; 28-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this order for me:

1. Vieira
    2. Henry
    3. Pires
    4. Campbell
    5. Fabregas

RVP would be there in terms of quality but we only got two seasons out of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bendtner View Post
    Kolo Toure and Adebayor. Not top five but at least we mugged off City and Adebayor's still winning games for us.