User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wenger Reprieve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    I disagree with that and it was shown this weekend with City and Wigan. Man Utd wrapped up the title easily and I don't think they have the strongest squad in the league. City and Chelsea had really good squads this year but the management has been poor.

The problem with modern day football is that everyone seems to think you need a team of superstars to win and that's just not true. I like how Dortmund have come through in recent and shown that you don't need a team of superstars to succeed. We need more examples of great teams being assembled. We need efficient and effective players, not necessarily the best.
    We need, above all else, to get rid of shit thinking. If we start next season with the aim of "getting into the top 4" then we've lost before a ball is kicked. That's the first thing that has to go at this club. The loser mentality. We have to have the guts to say we're going full guns for the title and we're going to do it playing a certain style of football that's going to make the whole season a blast - even if we end up 10th. We need to reboot the club.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its silly to think that wenger is not among the best managers in the world, no other managers have had the challenges that he had and kept his team "successfully" anyway. "But Jonas, what about Dortmund!? They're like arsenal and wenger x 10, omg wenger sucks" - They're only a couple of years into their new stardom and they're already losing all their best players, atleast it took us 10+ years before we started getting raided by corrupt money.

Atleast we'll be able to have a 200th birthday as a club one day, chelski and arab-city will not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    Wigan won a cup but will be relegated so hard to use them as an example of success.

Man Utd have a fantastic squad. What wins you the league is quality in the final third and that's why Chelsea fell short, they have Torres whilst Manure have Rooney and RVP. Put Falcao or Cavani up top for Chelsea and they could probably win the league even with Rafa.

Dortmund have lots of star players. They might have only developed in the last couple of years but they have several world class players in their squad.

I'm not fussed if Wenger is replaced or not but I think it's silly thinking that a new manager will bring success without breaking our transfer record of £15m.
    Did Dortmund have to match Bayern's spending power to win two titles in Germany? Did they have to match Real's money to reach the CL final? It's the same principle for Wigan. We can't use the money issue to explain this 8 year drought. We should have at least won an FA Cup and Carling Cup in that period. We've also had chances to win the CL and Prem.

You mention Chelsea having Torres but forget to mention he cost them £50m. That's almost the same amount Man Utd paid for both Rooney and RVP. We don't use our resources wisely and we could just as easily end up with a load of Arshavin type flops on the team if we're not careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Dortmund have to match Bayern's spending power to win two titles in Germany? Did they have to match Real's money to reach the CL final? It's the same principle for Wigan. We can't use the money issue to explain this 8 year drought. We should have at least won an FA Cup and Carling Cup in that period. We've also had chances to win the CL and Prem.

You mention Chelsea having Torres but forget to mention he cost them £50m. That's almost the same amount Man Utd paid for both Rooney and RVP. We don't use our resources wisely and we could just as easily end up with a load of Arshavin type flops on the team if we're not careful.

I agree. I think Ferguson would have won the league with our squad. All the talk is about how cash strapped we are, but Wenger has squandered our available resources on mediocrity, and his ridiculous wage structure has contributed to some of our best players leaving.

As NQ says - its the mentality, not the players, that are lacking at our club. We have seen how well even this current lot can play when they are on top form - but the manager settles for less than 100%, makes excuses for under-performance and often persists with players who are playing badly. A Fergie or a Klopp simply wouldn't accept this.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasTC View Post
    I think its silly to think that wenger is not among the best managers in the world, no other managers have had the challenges that he had and kept his team "successfully" anyway. "But Jonas, what about Dortmund!? They're like arsenal and wenger x 10, omg wenger sucks" - They're only a couple of years into their new stardom and they're already losing all their best players, atleast it took us 10+ years before we started getting raided by corrupt money.

Atleast we'll be able to have a 200th birthday as a club one day, chelski and arab-city will not.
    Jonas, Dortmund are replacing their players properly! Kagawa left so they replaced him with Reus. Goetze is leaving and it looks like they are replacing him with Eriksen.

The quality of player they are signing to replace their stars is of a High standard.

Our issues are not just about us losing our best players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I agree. I think Ferguson would have won the league with our squad. All the talk is about how cash strapped we are, but Wenger has squandered our available resources on mediocrity, and his ridiculous wage structure has contributed to some of our best players leaving.

As NQ says - its the mentality, not the players, that are lacking at our club. We have seen how well even this current lot can play when they are on top form - but the manager settles for less than 100%, makes excuses for under-performance and often persists with players who are playing badly. A Fergie or a Klopp simply wouldn't accept this.
    Saying the greatest manager of all time could have done better with our squad is hardly earth shattering. I still don't think Fergie could win the league with our strike force but he'd have certainly won something in the past 8 years that's for sure.

Anyway who cares. We'll have a new manager eventually, next season will probably be Wenger's last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    Saying the greatest manager of all time could have done better with our squad is hardly earth shattering. I still don't think Fergie could win the league with our strike force but he'd have certainly won something in the past 8 years that's for sure.

Anyway who cares. We'll have a new manager eventually, next season will probably be Wenger's last.
    Amen to that my brother!! (In an Eddie Murphy voice!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post

It’s dangerous to think the only solution to our problem is to spend more money and it’s a problem with the Prem in general. It’s the wrong mentality when every manager looks to the transfer market to improve and that’s why we have the sugar daddy clubs inflating the market. Managers putting pressure on Boards to release more funds instead of coaching proper football and playing good tactics. Whatever happened to skilled management? It’s why I have such a problem with managers that make excuses for their poor playing styles and hoof ball tactics. They all seem to say that it costs money to play good football but it doesn’t, it’s down to the coaches to install a philosophy.

Wenger doesn’t adhere to that sort of thinking either and it’s why he’s invested in youth and always looks for value in the market. He’s trying to build and mould a team. He’s always critical of the English way of thinking and says it all the time. ‘You here in England always think the solution is to buy’. I agree with his philosophy but have a serious problem with the execution. That’s where he’s getting it wrong. Besides being wasteful with his resources, his tactics are often bad and takes way too long to adapt to a situation. We can go for months repeating the same mistake or playing out of form players and that’s what kills us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s dangerous to think the only solution to our problem is to spend more money and it’s a problem with the Prem in general. It’s the wrong mentality when every manager looks to the transfer market to improve and that’s why we have the sugar daddy clubs inflating the market. Managers putting pressure on Boards to release more funds instead of coaching proper football and playing good tactics. Whatever happened to skilled management? It’s why I have such a problem with managers that make excuses for their poor playing styles and hoof ball tactics. They all seem to say that it costs money to play good football but it doesn’t, it’s down to the coaches to install a philosophy.

Wenger doesn’t adhere to that sort of thinking either and it’s why he’s invested in youth and always looks for value in the market. He’s trying to build and mould a team. He’s always critical of the English way of thinking and says it all the time. ‘You here in England always think the solution is to buy’. I agree with his philosophy but have a serious problem with the execution. That’s where he’s getting it wrong. Besides being wasteful with his resources, his tactics are often bad and takes way too long to adapt to a situation. We can go for months repeating the same mistake or playing out of form players and that’s what kills us.