User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012/13 Season Reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012/13 Season Reaction

A thread for our thoughts and opinions on the season just gone.

First of all: Sperz.

I say that in relief though, because the joy of today for me is getting one over them, rather than qualifying for a competition I know any progression in is regarded as a bonus.

IMO it’s been a hugely forgettable season, exacerbated this time by not even having the consolation of good football to keep us remotely content.

Generally our matches were often turgid and tight affairs. We’ve become a workman-like side now but the positive to come with that is our defence surprisingly found a bit of resilience, I don’t know the stats but I’d wager we’ve probably kept our highest number of clean sheets for a while, it’s just a shame that it took our season reaching its nadir for Wenger to be proactive and make some changes, with the key decision being to drop Vermaelen for Koscielny.

Our defence is certainly the reason we’ve made the top 4 this season, because I feel our attack is the weakest it’s been in a long time. Theo and Giroud would often follow a great game with 5 bad ones, they’ve both shown glimpses of what they can do but they’re incredibly frustrating and limited players, I’m praying we’re looking at bringing in a top forward this summer.

Less said about the cup exits the better, they weren’t acceptable on any level.

Overall, just relieved we’ve scraped in again and I’m glad to see the back of this season.

Lastly: Sperz.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My review: Shite tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A poor season on the whole, I don't see qualifying for the UCL and getting knocked out of the Cups so early as success. You're right, the football on show has been shit on the whole, offensively we really lacked creativity and the ability to break down stubborn defences. While in the past it was the defence that was the problem despite the fact we played some really enterprising football, now we've found some solidity defensively at least, and the back four after the Tottenham defeat were excellent on the whole.

However, it is now 2 seasons in a row we've just about scrapped into the UCL, and if we don't strengthen in the summer, we may not get so lucky again.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A poor season.

Premiership - scraped in to the top 4 yet again. We need to improve cos we will eventually finish outside the top 4 if we go on as we are.

FA cup - dont remember who we beat but the loss at home to Blackburn was horrific. Embarrassing.

Capital One Cup - goals galore v Coventry and Reading led us to believe it might be our year. We didn't reckon on the mity Bradford. Losing to them was bad enough. Being outplayed was terrible. Wenger should have walked.

CL - Failed to win the easiest group in CL history which led us to face Bayern and we got our asses handed there.

Playernwise, Theo was our best player overall over the season. Goals and assists. Hes widely regarded as a legend in the making amongst true gooners. We do need a striker urgently though. Giroud has failed. Unfortunate but expected. defensively we were a little bit awlsome even with a retarded keeper and right back.

In conclusion, same shit different season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree MO. We have largely pubbed it in truth. The real dynamic football and skill was rare. Understandable, obviously, in line with how the squad has changed. The positive was finding a way to win games in the latter part of the season in spite of this - the only attackers who were consistently in the team were Walcott and Cazorla and they scored a lot of the winning goals. Conceding twelve fewer goals than last season is a good achievement. The team and Wenger showed some adaptability tactically when a lot of people didn't think they had it. And in spite of everything we still finished above Spurs which is hilarious.

For next season it would be great to have some exciting players in attack, trophies or no trophies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As funny as it is to get one over Sperz, last season they were unfortunate to see Chelsea fluke the CL (and we employed agent Fulop), and this year they amassed a points total which would have been good enough in any other season. The competition is very fierce and if you keep on playing with fire eventually you'll get burnt, so we really need to kick on this summer and bring in some quality. There are no more excuses given 13/14 was the fabled season of fruition.

Whisper it quietly but there is the basis of a #decent team here, the way we keep on coming back from adversity is an invaluable trait. It's just down to Wenget now to give us the best possible chance of stepping up, in what could well be his final season.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 19-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh - same old same old, for me. IMO a lucky season given our transfer business last Summer. That's not to say our team is shite - but some serious building is needed. Not holding my breath, though.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we won't be as bad as we have been recently. Probably. Possibly. Hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suarez Is Boss View Post
    Coutinho will probably be one of the best in the league next year tbf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suarez Is Boss View Post
    Make or break for Rodgers next season....hear he's changed things somewhat massively. Should kick on...
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter